297: The Hands' Job

bader0

Dec 7, 2010
realslimshadowen said:
bader0 said:
realslimshadowen said:
In general, I agree, with one point of contention...

But people can carry guns differently. Hold a pistol sideways.
But that would only work if you were playing a moron. Or a street thug, but I repeat myself. (Sights are on top for a reason, even if that reason isn't immediately apparent in an FPS with a crosshair HUD.)
you seem to have forgotten the topic completely, this is about videogames what makes them great is that they are not real. think about it what if future pistol sites were on the side to make room for some other cool new thing that needed to be on the top?
...like what? A fuckin' counterweight designed specifically so morons could hold the gun sideways without having their accuracy, if you'll forgive the expression, shot to shit?

Because then you're not firing sideways. Let me put it this way. Whatever side has the sights on it is automatically the top of the gun. That is because the arms are below the eyes. It doesn't matter if you're holding it "sideways" relative to the grips of traditional guns: if the gun is designed to fire like that, you're holding it properly.
yeah but if you were holding it so the traditional grip of the gun was sideways while it may not necessarily mean you were holding the gun sideways as it would be the correct way to hold the gun but i think it meets the criteria of the OP insofar as that you would be holding a gun differently. (excuse the bad grammar and punctuation)

realslimshadowen

Aug 28, 2010
bader0 said:
realslimshadowen said:
bader0 said:
realslimshadowen said:

But that would only work if you were playing a moron. Or a street thug, but I repeat myself. (Sights are on top for a reason, even if that reason isn't immediately apparent in an FPS with a crosshair HUD.)
you seem to have forgotten the topic completely, this is about videogames what makes them great is that they are not real. think about it what if future pistol sites were on the side to make room for some other cool new thing that needed to be on the top?
...like what? A fuckin' counterweight designed specifically so morons could hold the gun sideways without having their accuracy, if you'll forgive the expression, shot to shit?

Because then you're not firing sideways. Let me put it this way. Whatever side has the sights on it is automatically the top of the gun. That is because the arms are below the eyes. It doesn't matter if you're holding it "sideways" relative to the grips of traditional guns: if the gun is designed to fire like that, you're holding it properly.
yeah but if you were holding it so the traditional grip of the gun was sideways while it may not necessarily mean you were holding the gun sideways as it would be the correct way to hold the gun but i think it meets the criteria of the OP insofar as that you would be holding a gun differently. (excuse the bad grammar and punctuation)
That's a fair point.

HaraDaya

Nov 9, 2009
I'm glad I came across this article, because I've been playing a lot of Far Cry 2 lately, again. You notice how much effort they've put into those animations, and it's prolly more than half the reason why it's so immersive. Like the healing animations, and the ampoules. Where other games would just tell you you are now using a medkit, or similiar, Far Cry 2 shows you.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. really missed out on it, I can only imagine how many hours I would be in Chernobyl at a time if it had quality animations like Far Cry 2.

I can agree with another user in this post that over use of hands for every little thing would get ridiculous to look at.
But as my mom says, "everything in moderation".
And if in doubt, look at Far Cry 2.

realslimshadowen said:
bader0 said:
realslimshadowen said:
bader0 said:
realslimshadowen said:

That's a fair point.
Wasn't the sideways shooting used to clear rooms quickly by creating a horizontal sweep with the muzzle jump? Don't know who would be skillful enough to pull that off, but in theory it seems probable.
That said I can't stand thugs holding their gun like that because they think it looks cool.

Ninjat_126

Nov 19, 2010
I love seeing hand animations working well in FPS games.

Anyone played The Darkness? You'd automatically put your guns over/to the side of any obstacle you walked up to. If you tried firing at plot centric characters, you'd raise your guns vertically and be unable to fire. Not to mention the execution kills, or the Darkness corruption effect later in the game.

In fact, the Darkness corruption effect on the hands was really jarring. It told you "If I don't do something about this, I'm going to have my soul eaten by a freakish abomination." It really pulled you into the story.