297: The Princess Problem

tunderball

Jul 10, 2010
I suddenly have a new found respect for Princess Leia, yeah she has to be rescued and all that but she kicks ass.

TheCakeisALie87

Jun 7, 2010
What about Sheik, Zelda's alter ego in Ocarina of Time? She is not only a "skilled" ninja, but jams on some nice tunes too. Sure you may discover she is Zelda a little early, but surely she adds to Zelda's overall character. After Gannon(dorf) takes over she has resistance. Actually the zora princess (while still making you throw her around) is another great princess character in that game. She is not being led by the hand, rather she is a spoiled brat making you throw her around. A subtle difference to be sure, but still an entertaining character.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
Predictable my ass. What about Braid? Not many saw that ending coming.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Both peach and zelda get in on the bloody knuckle asskickery in smash bros.

So yeah princess (helpless female) is a plot device but it is played straight about as often as it is inverted and satirized.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
The princess trope has never really resonated with me in the 8-bit/16-bit era. I've never been attracted to docile women, I'm generally anti-monarchist, and since in most games the princess is literally just an object to drive the plot, you're rarely in a situation where you're motivated by the princess' winning personality. In fact, Princess Gwaelin from the first Dragon Warrior/DragonQuest was so clingy [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-Zxw19hwZQ] I wondered if the main character went back to killing slimes just to get away from her.

[Strangely, I was a bit more charitable towards Maia, your hapless bride at the beginning of Phantasy Star III. Probably because I actually got to know her a little bit before I was required to rescue her. Also, while your PC is a prince, you don't even realize Maia's a princess until you actually rescue her, when you can decide to marry her or twist the trope slightly and marry the female party member who's actually been helping you the whole time (who turns out to be a princess as well).]

In those early console games, my motivation was taking down evil tyrants like Bowser and Gannon (that other timeless game trope), any princesses being secondary consideration. Notably, I always preferred third-party franchises like Castlevania and MegaMan--Belmont and MegaMan didn't seem to need the princess bonus to save the land from evil overlords.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
I´m Extremely Dissapointed at the lack of SHEIK in this article, seriously?? the only game where the princess actually DOES something and you skip that part entirely to talk about how she was transformed in "wind waker"?!?

*waves cane*

how old are you kid? i want to speak with your parents!!!

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Alfie Simpson said:
The Princess Problem

A closer look at the age-old tradition of princess saving.

Read Full Article
Interestingly, video game Princesses mirror real-world princesses in one important regard: They serve little functional purpose, and are more figureheads than anything. The symbology of a princess actually seems to inform the stereotypes we see in the games--a young girl, beautiful, full of virtue (chastity), in need of defending. She is representative of a nation's own beauty and virtue, made visible (and thus vulnerable) to all. Think of her as a living, breathing rally flag.

As this translates into stories, it usually means she is helpless and unable to defend herself. It also means she cannot be "had" by any man, even her own rescuer. In the past, this wasn't an issue, since chivalry was all about putting forth the effort without expecting that standard "return on investment."

As society has evolved, we're more open about things like sex, so we can't simply write that part out of this particular "boy meets girl" variation anymore. But to some, if the princess makes with the sex-ing, she loses the virtue that makes her a princess (in the symbolic sense). As a result, we get a lot of those in-between princesses--they are beautiful, but made wholly unlikable. The hero rescues the virtuous (but unapproachable) princess, and when he doesn't "get the girl," it's because he chooses not to. Then they usually introduce the "peasant with a heart of gold, and down-homey good looks" as a substitute, and everyone's happy.

I really think the bigger question that more games need to be asking, throughout all of this, is where the hell are the King and Queen? It could make a very compelling story, the old war-hero King going all "Liam Neeson" to rescue his daughter (who happens to be the Princess)...

DaMullet

Nov 28, 2009
Dastardly said:
I really think the bigger question that more games need to be asking, throughout all of this, is where the hell are the King and Queen? It could make a very compelling story, the old war-hero King going all "Liam Neeson" to rescue his daughter (who happens to be the Princess)...
That, is full of win. Especially if the princess is like 5 years old. Talk about an evil dude, kidnapping a child.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
There's a tendency to think this weakness stems from an outdated gender stereotype - that because these stories were written so long ago, they cast women in roles both passive and powerless. You only have to look at the wicked witches and the domineering stepmothers, however, to realize that this is not the case at all. These characters hold plenty of power, and they wield it with a calculating intellect. So princesses aren't weak because they're women; they're weak because they're princesses.
So...the good women are powerless princesses, but there's no gender stereotype because the evil women have power?

Um, might be missing a fairly obvious point there.

WanderingFool said:
HankMan said:
Well if she could save herself, then it wouldn't be much of a game for us now would it?
That certainly would make sense...
Um...play as the kidnapped princess breaking out of the castle, instead of the hero breaking in? Like The Great Escape only with more expensive clothes and probably a less awesome theme.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
There's nothing wrong per se with rescuing some damsel in distress, however there is one example of this that could really use an explanation. It's that example that Yahtzee usually brings up whenever he does a Mario game. Yes, I'm talking about Peach getting kidnapped by some one in about 90% of Mario games. Honestly, I'm getting tired of rescuing her, because chances are that she'll just end up in a cage in the next Mario game anyway. Where. Are. The. Guards?!

At least Zelda tries to help you during the plot of the game, but in the end it's still you alone (most of the time) facing off with the ancient evil. It was, however, quite nice to see Zelda take a more active role in the plot of Zelda: Spirit Tracks.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Princess Peach isn't always a useless goal. Later and later in the Paper Mario series, she shows off more intellect and use until she uses trademark umbrella in-game outside of Smash Bros.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
tunderball said:
I suddenly have a new found respect for Princess Leia, yeah she has to be rescued and all that but she kicks ass.
No she doesn't. She was just resting after a long day of emotional and physical torture. She did the rescuing. :)

On Topic, I'm one of those people who would like to see a Zelda game where you play as Zelda/Shiek. That would be a fresh start for the series, and something I'm sure many people would applaud.

P.S. Stupid crystals.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
HentMas said:
I´m Extremely Dissapointed at the lack of SHEIK in this article, seriously?? the only game where the princess actually DOES something and you skip that part entirely to talk about how she was transformed in "wind waker"?!?

*waves cane*

how old are you kid? i want to speak with your parents!!!
Ah, but the question is, is Sheik still a princess, or even a female? There's a huge debate that, when Zelda transforms, it's more than just her appearance. I'm with you on this though. Was wondering where Sheik was.

millertime059

Jan 7, 2011
The princess idea is an interesting argument, undone by cherry picking data. Your argument against princesses, when boiled down to it's essence, could just as easily be applied to space marines, alien invaders, mobsters, post apocalypse survivors, and the Flying Spaghetti Monster. What your argument is, at is basic level, cliched stereotypes are bad if there is nothing to provide character depth.

You decry the passive princess, but give credit to Midna for not being a helpless rescue, but active participant. Her 'breaking the princess mold' gives her interesting attributes, and makes her more worthy of a character. I'd throw in the Zelda/ Shiek from Ocarina for the same reason. Yeah a helpless Princess Peach is annoying, but her Paper Mario incarnations are something special. There are other examples, but the point remains. Once they break from the expected stereotype they are much more interesting. Princesses that adhere to the standard trope (most of your classic Disney Princesses for example) are little more that literary devices, not worthy of being considered a true character.

The same applies to generic space marines, ragtag military group going through a overwhelming struggle,hero of destiny with personality of cardboard, etc. Is Halo popular because of Master Chief (boring)? Is [insert generic military shooter X] popular for the ragtag group of cliches (gimme something new)? Is Chrono Trigger popular for the titular Chrono (hello is anybody in there)? They area all wasted character opportunities.