30,000 Users Cut From Dating Site Because They Were "Ugly"

themerrygambit

Mar 1, 2010
It's interesting to see all the scorn people are throwing at this site and the people that use it. I think that just about every guy/girl on this site has fantasized about dating a ridiculously hot girl or guy and lets face it deep down we all want that really amazing girl or guy who's also really good looking. We'd be lying to ourselves if ANY of us said otherwise.

Granted beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some girls like round short bearded guys, while others like tall skinny geeky looking guys (I know 2 girls that literally have these preferences) while others still want the guys that look like Brad Pitt. Some guys like tall skinny girls and sharp features while other guys like girls with curves and cute faces.

When we date we all tend to gravitate to a place where our desired demographic hangs out. This website is no different. It's helping people of a certain type meet the people they are looking for. That being said It takes a certain type of person to sign up for a site like that so you're probably going to find that the site is filled with a lot of superficial people... are they all going to be like that? Definitely not. There are probably going to be many people who just want to find someone that measures up to what they really are looking for. It simply eliminates one of the variables in the equation.

Although based upon my experience living in L.A. I doubt they will have that much of an easier time finding someone they are truly compatible with though.

Numb1lp

Jan 21, 2009
HTID Raver said:
LOL is this for real? xD thats too funny!
i wonder if im beautiful enough to join the site :p
Almost makes you want to try to join, right? I know!

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
meh let them have their illusion of being sucsesfull maybie one day it will give them hope as they work in gas stations and subways...

conflictofinterests

Apr 6, 2010
drisky said:
I'll just quote my self from the last thread

drisky said:
Old news they done this before when they kicked people who gained weight. They defended them selves by saying people knew what they were singing up for. The web site is full of shallow people, those who don't like it have hundreds of dating site alternatives. Its not a big deal, it would be like complaining that christiansingles.com wouldn't allow atheists. If people go on a dating site looking for a niche, they should be able to get it.
If you don't want to meet people who judge appearances, don't go to the site.
I think people are more upset that people judge appearances like that in the first place, either because they have been harshly judged before or they find such a segregating response to such a superfluous attribute to be objectionable, if not immoral. Yes, it is easy enough to avoid such things, but that fact does not make any outrage one feels towards it any less valid.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
LoL, I think I'll sign up just to see if I'll be let in, I mean I think I'm pretty good looking as much of a nerd as I am. But let's see what that site says...:p

Raiyan 1.0 said:
probably filled with narcissistic airheads who sign up to caress their own egos.
Why I'm signing up...lolXP

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
new_age_reject said:
The Great JT said:
I vote we kill anyone registered with Beautifulpeople.com (not counting the 30,000 that signed up because of that virus). They deserve it.
Killing innocent people because they've done nothing wrong?
Maybe not.
All in all, it's just a vain site for vain people and people that aren't vain should stay well away from this disgusting place.
I think he means to get rid of pretentious pricks.

While I don't think such extreme methods would do appropriate, I do think someone (maybe not LulzSec, but maybe Jester?) could hack the site and change everyone into ugly behemoths. Or replace pictures with phallic images.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Eyelicker said:
The amount of Jellymad in this thread is unbearable

It turns out that shallow people prefer to date attractive people, so a website that is so forward about it's goals in facilitating this is no big deal.
We can sit here and circlejerk all we want stereotyping them and going for their intellects/personality or even definition of attractiveness, despite there being all kinds of attractive people. But this is simply a natural thing, albeit done online and being blunt about it: attractive people date attractive people because they can. Why would it be any other way.
Except like someone noticed, those aren't even "beautiful" people. It's because the standard of beauty is a thinned-down Skeletor without emotions. I think I've seen at least a hundred of women that look pretty, but were so God damn thin I wouldn't touch them out of fear of breaking them in half.
Also, bear in mind that there are beautiful people out there who are nicer and more intelligent than you, and your obvious jealousy and almost gang like mentality on this makes you seem just as despicable as you perceive them. Your definition of "attractive people" seems to be based on Jersey Shore and nothing else.
Beautiful AND smart people don't need a website to tell them they're beautiful, and they should be smart enough to find dates without being pretty.

But if you like the idea of shallow plastic surgery addicts dating and making more shallow appearance-centric spoiled brats, go ahead, can't stop ya.

Sabinfrost

Mar 2, 2011
The fact this sight exists really bothers me, to the point it makes me almost pull out my hair and run into a wall.

stutheninja

Oct 27, 2009
honestly, i dont see the problem here. im not super attractive, but i wouldnt try to join something that screens its members for attractiveness. if they want to do that its their business and people really shouldnt be dicks about it, and if you say that sort of thing is "just wrong" than i pose this question: is it wrong for an all black dating site to screen me cause im white? no, its not, but in the case of BeautifulPeople it really just shows that they want to have a site where "attractive" people get together, and i say more power to them, if you dont make a big deal out of it then it will cease to be a big deal, ergo stop getting your panties in a bunch and trying to get 30,000 people to join who are obviously going to get screened out.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
We really don't have any business criticizing this site. They want a certain kind of people to join their site. I don't see this any different than a Halo Fansite only wanting Halo Fans or a company accepting only employees with X amount of qualifications.

What is the point in going out there and either hating on them or calling them assholes? Do you want to join them? Do you think you are not up to their standards to join them? Then why do you even care? You don't like these kinds of people so why are you butt hurt that you can't join them?

Sure I think it is incredibly shallow and pretty pathetic especially given that actual beautiful people would not need a dating site to get tail. But that is my opinion. I bet a fair amount of the people on that site think my opinion to be the boring ramblings of just another ugly person.

Danzavare

Oct 17, 2010
The Shrek virus 'victims' don't seem to have it as bad as the people who got kicked out for gaining some weight. xD I don't hate the site, but I'm also confused by a few people so adamantly defending it. I mean, I get the hypothetical criteria of physical beauty, but it all seems rather desperate doesn't it? I mean if you believed you were beautiful then surely you'd believe you'd have the looks to find someone beautiful on your own. It's almost like getting the website to tell people you're beautiful (based on whatever their opinion is) instead of you simply showing it. I haven't checked the site, but it sounds like one of those pseudo-beauty places, where people compensate with make-up, fake-tans, extreme dieting and all that nonsense. If you really were physically beautiful, you'd be able to use your expressions and mannerisms to find people, and not have to rely on artificial tools or a website. I'm choosing to believe that this was a publicity stunt because frankly, if someone was to troll the site, they're more likely to attack existing members rather than simply add new ones. Sounds dodgy to me.

I think the people pushing for death/destruction are overreacting, but I'm finding them less depressing than the few defending the site while conveniently mentioning how popular they are. It's an awkward interspersing of "THERE ARE PEOPLE DESPERATE ENOUGH TO SLEEP WITH ME RANDOMLY - I think you people are overreacting, there's nothing evil about some shallow people wanting shallow relationships - I KNOW BECAUSE I WAS WITH HOT PEOPLE, I SWEAR - and not all beautiful people are bad - SHE HAD LIPSTICK AND LADY BITS, IT WAS SEXY - you people are sad - AND THERE ARE PEOPLE DESPERATE ENOUGH TO TOUCH ME!" It's a jarring thing that happens anytime a thread like this comes up. It sounds like a desperate means of validating the self. I assume the website is built on the same thing. People must recognise that the premise of the website isn't a popular one, but will join regardless to be filed as pretty by some stranger. The website shows that you can get desperate people to sign up for anything. There's nothing to really get upset about. (Well, ignoring the slight jealously toward the people getting paid to judge strangers)

I'm also going out on a bit of a limb here but I assume when most people get angry at the site, they're getting angry at the shallowness of it and the willingness of its members to accept it. I don't think anyone is saying beauty is always accompanied by stupidity/a bad personality. Instead of arbitrarily referencing pretty people I know, I'll just assume people have the common sense to recognise that not all pretty people are bad, and that not all pretty people join sites like the one mentioned here. : P

Unia

Jan 15, 2010
Now I'm just curious what their screening criteria are. Is it like with dog breeds in shows and such? Must have correct bone structure, coloration and all that.

Does plastic surgery count as cheating? Judging by some comments it doesn't. Which is odd for a site dedicated to pairing - if the beatiful partner produces ugly children, do they have the right to sue?

What I'd really like to see is some statistics on whether or not some degenerative illnesses are more common among these beautiful people. As is sadly the case with many pure-(read:in-)bred dogs.

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
Abedeus said:
new_age_reject said:
The Great JT said:
I vote we kill anyone registered with Beautifulpeople.com (not counting the 30,000 that signed up because of that virus). They deserve it.
Killing innocent people because they've done nothing wrong?
Maybe not.
All in all, it's just a vain site for vain people and people that aren't vain should stay well away from this disgusting place.
I think he means to get rid of pretentious pricks.

While I don't think such extreme methods would do appropriate, I do think someone (maybe not LulzSec, but maybe Jester?) could hack the site and change everyone into ugly behemoths. Or replace pictures with phallic images.
That is the perfect solution to this problem sir :)

Eyelicker

Apr 8, 2010
Abedeus said:
Eyelicker said:

It turns out that shallow people prefer to date attractive people, so a website that is so forward about it's goals in facilitating this is no big deal.
We can sit here and circlejerk all we want stereotyping them and going for their intellects/personality or even definition of attractiveness, despite there being all kinds of attractive people. But this is simply a natural thing, albeit done online and being blunt about it: attractive people date attractive people because they can. Why would it be any other way.
Except like someone noticed, those aren't even "beautiful" people. It's because the standard of beauty is a thinned-down Skeletor without emotions. I think I've seen at least a hundred of women that look pretty, but were so God damn thin I wouldn't touch them out of fear of breaking them in half.
Also, bear in mind that there are beautiful people out there who are nicer and more intelligent than you, and your obvious jealousy and almost gang like mentality on this makes you seem just as despicable as you perceive them. Your definition of "attractive people" seems to be based on Jersey Shore and nothing else.
Beautiful AND smart people don't need a website to tell them they're beautiful, and they should be smart enough to find dates without being pretty.

But if you like the idea of shallow plastic surgery addicts dating and making more shallow appearance-centric spoiled brats, go ahead, can't stop ya.
Thank you for proving my point and responding with a stereotype filled rant and veiled ad hominem instead of a well thought out argument.

It doesn't make you shallow to find beautiful people attractive and want to date them, it makes you human. If you date people with absolutely zero thought to their aesthetics, then power to you my friend, but the rest of us unenlightened masses are yet to obtain that level of zen, and physical attraction plays a part AS WELL AS (not instead of) spiritual connection.

Eyelicker

Apr 8, 2010
Tin Man said:
Eyelicker said:

It turns out that people prefer to date attractive people, so a website that is so forward about it's goals in facilitating this is no big deal.

Well said my friend.

I've already spoken on this, but I agree with the above completely. A good friend of mine and my girlfriends is an absolute stunner, and a 1st graduate of maths from Warwick(one of the best unis in the UK). By all of your immediate appraisals she can only be a stupid, horrible cow, but she is one of the nicest people I know.

You people got burned when you were kids by people who were good looking and all that crap, but it makes you just a loatheful as you wrongly assume they are.
Thank you bro! Its nice to not be instantly jumped on and called a shallow airhead for a change!

Flare Phoenix

Dec 18, 2009
I don't see what the problem is; it's not like the site isn't upfront and honest about what it is. It's called beautifulpeople.com. This reminds me of people who say that women should be allowed to join Gentlemen's clubs because it is unfair that they can't (although no one ever seems to suggest men should be allowed to join women's gyms).

strangemoose

Aug 29, 2009
see now i like to call these people the "im beautiful until i turn 45 have 2 kids lose my looks and than as i lie overweight, looks fading i realize what a big prick i was"

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
The thing is, being white and wanting to join a black dating site, or being female and wanting to join a men's club, etc. are things that aren't arbitrary, they're objective qualities, unlike some stranger's idea of something as abstract and subjective as "beauty".

CommanderKirov

Oct 3, 2010
Nothing matters. 'cause there is a MOTHERFUCKING LION there.

A LION.

OT: People not matching to the most common beauty standards get kicked off the site that claims to be hosting only people that match such standards?

TALK ABOUT SHOCKING!

Who knows what will happen next, perhaps a collage society will not want to include everyone in it?!

*Legasp*