UK Retailer Allegedly Discriminates Against Jedi

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
UK Retailer Allegedly Discriminates Against Jedi

The founder of the International Church of Jediism claims he was victimized after being ejected from a Welsh supermarket for wearing his hooded Jedi cloak.

Those poor Jedi can never get a break, can they? Even after being betrayed and hunted down to near-extinction thanks to the decree of Emperor Palpatine, the few Jedi who escaped persecution by fleeing to a tiny little backwater mudhole called Earth still face opposition on a daily basis. So it was with 23-year-old Daniel Jones, founder of the International Church of Jediism, who was kicked out of a Tesco supermarket in North Wales over security fears pertaining to his religious garb - that is, his hooded cloak.

The religion, which Jones officially founded last year, is practiced by 500,000 individuals and requires members to wear their cloaks with the hoods up in "any public place of a large audience" which would presumably include supermarkets. When Jones refused to lower his hood, objecting on religious grounds, he was kicked out:

"I told them it was a requirement of my religion but they just sniggered and ordered me to leave ... I walked past a Muslim lady in a veil. Surely the same rules should apply to everyone."

Though Jones said he would consider asking the religion's followers to boycott the store if it happened again, a Tesco spokesperson countered: "Jedi are very welcome to shop in our stores although we would ask them to remove their hoods. Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda and Luke Skywalker all went hoodless without going to the Dark Side. If Jedi walk around our stores with their hoods on, they'll miss lots of special offers."

Well played, Tesco. Well played indeed.

(The Consumerist [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/6204199/Jedi-ejected-from-Tesco-for-wearing-hood.html])

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
I can understand where Tesco are coming from. It's the same in most UK stores. I guess the point is if you stole something wearing a hood it'd be hard to identify you using CCTV. The same for not wearing sunglasses in some stores.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
Wow, they just got owned. Kudos to the spokesperson who is probably a geek himself.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Ignoring the obvious criticisms of Jedi being a 'religion' I don't recall any of the Star Wars characters insisting upon having their hoods up in every crowded areas.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Doc Theta Sigma said:
I can understand where Tesco are coming from. It's the same in most UK stores. I guess the point is if you stole something wearing a hood it'd be hard to identify you using CCTV. The same for not wearing sunglasses in some stores.
Damn, someone beat me to the reasoning behind this.

Anyway, Tesco is in the right here (in addition to being totally awesome for knowing enough about Star Wars to make a proper counter.)

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
I fully agree with Tesco.

"Jedi are very welcome to shop in our stores although we would ask them to remove their hoods. Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda and Luke Skywalker all went hoodless without going to the Dark Side. If Jedi walk around our stores with their hoods on, they'll miss lots of special offers."
That is perhaps one of the funniest things I've read.

RomanLegacy

May 6, 2009
"If Jedi walk around our stores with their hoods on, they'll miss lots of special offers."

ahahahahaahahaaha

Oh thats just great.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
Machines Are Us said:
Ignoring the obvious criticisms of Jedi being a 'religion' I don't recall any of the Star Wars characters insisting upon having their hoods up in every crowded areas.
They're just attention whores. Girls didn't pay attention to them in high school, so now they have to run around in cloaks to get anyone to look at them. It's embarrassing.

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
"Jedi are very welcome to shop in our stores although we would ask them to remove their hoods. Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda and Luke Skywalker all went hoodless without going to the Dark Side. If Jedi walk around our stores with their hoods on, they'll miss lots of special offers."
They have earned a lot of respect from me, which is bizarre as they are planning to build over 94% of my neighborhood.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
I fail to grasp the point behind keeping a hood up. As Tesco guys said,Obi-Wan and Luke were just fine despite NOT wearing hoods.

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
Those "Jedi" have no right to complain. A whole bunch of them were arrested here in my country during a Star Wars themed birthday party.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
A real jedi would of used some jedi mind tricks on guy asking him to leave. Also I heard they get lightsaber training.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Tesco corporate sense of humour 1

Faux Jedi 0

Ah well, serves him right for being rude and refusing to take his hood off indoors.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
What a complete moron.

He thinks he should get the same rights as Muslims, when his relgion is based around a movie franchise. Muslims had to do alot of political fighting to get themselves recoginised in the UK, now this dick just went and completely undermined it.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
The Force is strong with this one...but not as strong as Tesco security.

"These are not the hoodies you're looking for..."