UK Retailer Allegedly Discriminates Against Jedi

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
See this is why the PC in my country annoys me, I mean yeah the whole hood thing is kind of silly in itself, but the fact that Muslims and the like are allowed but he isnt is just silly, because Tesco know that if they did ask a Muslim to remove their veil they would be sued or put under immediate fire from the press, for something so simple as security measures in the event one of them did decide to steal something, surely allowing people to wonder around in veils where you cant see their face in a SHOP is a terrible security hole? Balaclavas or hockey masks would be counted as a security risk I'm sure, but the second Muslims are involved, ooh it's racism or discrimination.

Now, know I am not moaning at muslims here, in fact, quite the opposite, people in the UK are so PC about everything that companies are frightened to do anything for a logical reason due to non muslim (blacks, gays or whatever) suddenly shouting "DISCRIMINATION!", obviously i'm sure there are some people in said groups that have sued, but for the most part it's the non groups shouting over nothing, it's bloody stupid.

Sparrow said:
What a complete moron.

He thinks he should get the same rights as Muslims, when his relgion is based around a movie franchise. Muslims had to do alot of political fighting to get themselves recoginised in the UK, now this dick just went and completely undermined it.
However, I do ask what exactly gives them the right to do that? If you're not muslim you'd be arrested or made to leave by security for masking your face in public or in a shop/bank/whatever, but as soon as you're Muslim it's okay to create a massive hole in security procedures?

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
I'm a huge Star Wars fan. I love it.

And yet even I have to say these "Jediism" guys are fucking idiots if they think they deserve the same respect as any organized religion.

... Though I'd still treat them better than I would scientologists.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Reuq said:
Old news im afraid mate, theres a 200 replie thread about this already.

OT: Good for Tesco, jedi is not a religon. Because if it is then so is TF2!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russels_teapot

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
Doc Theta Sigma said:
I can understand where Tesco are coming from. It's the same in most UK stores. I guess the point is if you stole something wearing a hood it'd be hard to identify you using CCTV. The same for not wearing sunglasses in some stores.
What and a burka isnt

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
elvor0 said:
See this is why the PC in my country annoys me, I mean yeah the whole hood thing is kind of silly in itself, but the fact that Muslims and the like are allowed but he isnt is just silly, because Tesco know that if they did ask a Muslim to remove their veil they would be sued or put under immediate fire from the press, for something so simple as security measures in the event one of them did decide to steal something, surely allowing people to wonder around in veils where you cant see their face in a SHOP is a terrible security hole? Balaclavas or hockey masks would be counted as a security risk I'm sure, but the second Muslims are involved, ooh it's racism or discrimination.

Now, know I am not moaning at muslims here, in fact, quite the opposite, people in the UK are so PC about everything that companies are frightened to do anything for a logical reason due to non muslim (blacks, gays or whatever) suddenly shouting "DISCRIMINATION!", obviously i'm sure there are some people in said groups that have sued, but for the most part it's the non groups shouting over nothing, it's bloody stupid.

Sparrow said:
What a complete moron.

He thinks he should get the same rights as Muslims, when his relgion is based around a movie franchise. Muslims had to do alot of political fighting to get themselves recoginised in the UK, now this dick just went and completely undermined it.
However, I do ask what exactly gives them the right to do that? If you're not muslim you'd be arrested or made to leave by security for masking your face in public or in a shop/bank/whatever, but as soon as you're Muslim it's okay to create a massive hole in security procedures?
the difference is that Islam is a recognized religion around the world and Jedi isn't one. also what a Muslim wears is a lot different than a hoodie and stuff associated with criminals

CantFaketheFunk said:
Though Jones said he would consider asking the religion's followers to boycott the store if it happened again, a Tesco spokesperson countered: "Jedi are very welcome to shop in our stores although we would ask them to remove their hoods. Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda and Luke Skywalker all went hoodless without going to the Dark Side. If Jedi walk around our stores with their hoods on, they'll miss lots of special offers."

Well played, Tesco. Well played indeed.
this is the funniest part of the whole article, he got out geeked in his own "faith" by a person who isn't one of his own "faith"

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Reuq said:
elvor0 said:
Reuq said:

I not see what you are getting at, you linked me to an anti religion topic?
He is saying that strictly speaking, as religion is based upon faith only then you cannot claim an religion is less true than another.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Reuq said:
elvor0 said:
Reuq said:

I not see what you are getting at, you linked me to an anti religion topic?
I assume you just directly replied to the thread as opposed to reading replies (which is fair enough), so I wont go on as if you read my earlier post, but it's worth pointing out that saying the religion is silly compared to Muslism, is that religion is just that, a series of beliefs :p I'm not going into an anti religion thing with that, I was just making that point as a reply to what you said.

The point of the theory is that if it is said to be a religion it can be how it likes, given the afore mentioned point that religion is a series of belief relying on faith as opposed to evidence, therefore I very well could decide that TF2 was a religion based on X beliefs and no one could disprove me. Therefor Jedi is very much a legitimate religion.

Although the guy above me said it much faster and to the point.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
cleverlymadeup said:
the difference is that Islam is a recognized religion around the world and Jedi isn't one. also what a Muslim wears is a lot different than a hoodie and stuff associated with criminals

this is the funniest part of the whole article, he got out geeked in his own "faith" by a person who isn't one of his own "faith"
I thought it was actually an officially recognized religion now? However, point still stands that it is kind of a big hole in security measures. I dont think anyone should be able to do it, religious or not.

tom919

Aug 7, 2009
The only Jedi I know of who never lowered his hood was Darth Sidious after he got maimed... you don't think?... Do you?

Takoto

Mar 25, 2009
My Dad one Christmas walked down to our local newsagents dressed as Darth Vader...

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
murphy7801 said:
Doc Theta Sigma said:
I can understand where Tesco are coming from. It's the same in most UK stores. I guess the point is if you stole something wearing a hood it'd be hard to identify you using CCTV. The same for not wearing sunglasses in some stores.
What and a burka isnt
I never said it wasn't. Either way regardless of religion its a security risk. Did I say at any point in my post that it'd be different if he was Muslim?

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
elvor0 said:

Sparrow said:
What a complete moron.

I would argue instead, what gives the government the right not to let them wear their hoods? It's part of their faith, which they pratice day in a day out with dedication, some even going as far to die for it.

This "Jedi" is just an attention grabbing whore.

ReZerO

Mar 2, 2009
while i side with the store. i do have to say that if you have to let one religion do something based on religious rights, you have to do it for every one.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Sparrow said:
elvor0 said:

Sparrow said:
What a complete moron.

I would argue instead, what gives the government the right not to let them wear their hoods? It's part of their faith, which they pratice day in a day out with dedication, some even going as far to die for it.

This "Jedi" is just an attention grabbing whore.
Because it's a massive security risk? Religious or not. You wouldn't let someone in a balaclava walk around a bank why should a Muslim be allowed? Yes I know it's not a balaclava but you get my point

CUnk

Oct 24, 2008
If these Jedi followers can keep this going for another 1000 years or so then maybe we can start talking about letting them enter supermarkets while wearing their costumes.

Of course if they manage to master the Force sooner than that then they could shorten that schedule up a bit.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
Good response from tesco, but given as Muslim women are allowed, I'm pretty sure it is illegal to with any other religion

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Jedi lowered their hoods all the time, see Obi Wan in the Restaraunt, Episode 2.

Fail religeon has failed *is a nerd*