302: Who Cares About Mario?

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
I am a Teenager and this is my memory of nintendo
Ever since I was five my brothers were all Pc gamers but my next door neighbour had a Gamecube I still remember going over there and playng super smash bros after going into the pool when I was 8 I went to my friends house and he had an N64 that was pretty old but I remember having more fun playong that than playing the Ps2 then the Wii and PS3 came along I had a wii before I got the Ps3 and played the Wii non stop for a year but then we got a Ps3 and I've been playing that non stop forever there was A break for 4 months of the PS3 mainly because of WoW

SanguineSymphony

Jan 25, 2011
Jakub324 said:
Mario, Pokemon (Kind of) Zelda, Donkey Kong and Metroid can all go and FUCK OFF because all they survive of is nostalgia, which I view as a plague. Seriously, how many Mario games are there and how much variation is there between the 3 varieties? BUGGER ALL!!!!!
Me and the wife were talking about how insane Mario as a concept really was.... I said he was basically a Sexually Frustrated Man-Child (if you take his voice seriously) stuck into an Alice and Wonderland like world dominated by turtles and Reptile and with only one woman who tends to get abducted by the king Reptile...

I commented that the basic concept only works in Video Games where reality takes a backseat to novelty. As for variation... The concept itself is so CRAZY that you don't really need much more. More importantly the games play tightly and have wonderfully catchy and beautiful music. Besides I have never met anyone that ONLY plays Mario. If I want variety I own literally hundreds of games to choose from.

BTW I don't feel its a secret that a lot of the Mario Platforming games are purchased mainly by adults. Honestly they're probably too difficult for the molly coddled youth of today.

LucidSeraph

Feb 16, 2011
I find the idea that brand loyalty is dying somewhat heartening, actually. I'd grown very weary of the console wars back in the early aughties, particularly since I was (and am!) a poor, lower middle class (at best) student with very little income. I don't give a damn that the Xbox (or Xbox360) is TEH BEZT or about the PS3; I care about having games that appeal to me that I can play. In my case, that means well-written plot (which... tends to relegate me to indie games these days) and clever, unusual game mechanics that don't punish me for being curious (which... relegates me to puzzle games)

In some ways this suggests to me that kids, rather than falling pray to the supersaturation of marketing in our modern society, are in fact learning to ignore that, which is a good thing. They want games that are fun! They don't care if Mario is on the box.

I think perhaps we'd need a larger sample size to see if this holds true across the board though.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I had a Gameboy and Pokemon Red when I was little, but that's the extent of my affiliation with them. Apart from when they overcharged me by £180 for a Wii.

So yeah, my view of them isn't exactly stellar. Couple that with terrible 3rd party support, and the same fucking IPs for 30-odd years, and I must say, I don't really 'get it'.

pandasaw

Mar 18, 2011
As a twenty year old, I did not own a Nintendo system until the Wii. I respect Nintendo's amount of important franchises but I grew up with the PS1 and the Halo series.

PurePareidolia

Nov 26, 2008
I grew up with PC games and have to this day never finished a Nintendo game (though I have tried some), they just don't appeal to me, and I've never seen the appeal. I hypothesized that it was simply a lack of choice at the time - that people only had Nintendo so that's all they played, but gameboys and stuff were still around and popular when I was a kid, I just didn't have one and I had no trouble finding other games.

And I mean, their current catalogue is based on milking nostalgia from people or stupid casual games* so I couldn't be father from their target audiences. I even got a Wii as a gift at one point, but after playing through House of the Dead Overkill I was fairly sure there was nothing else the console could possibly offer. What I'm saying is it looks like everything they're doing is gimmicky, worthless and/or shallow, so frankly if they go under we're better off without them. Although admittedly much of that sentiment is because I find the business practice of remaking their old games constantly with practically no innovation to be detestable.

*I'm not saying they're stupid because they're casual - but that they are both.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
really the thing nintendo needs to do is have at least a lil push into the older gamers market, doesnt need to be rated mature but it needs a few of its franchises to grow with the gamers, twilight princess did a good job with this.... at least I thought so, metroid has also been a good game for bigger "kids" but it still needs something that highschoolers can point to proudly, instead of just waiting for them to become college kids and then realize how awesome their previous shame was

Conn1496

Apr 21, 2011
First console I ever played? Nintendo 64. Well, I lie, It was a Dreamcast, but it wasn't mine, and it wasn't exactly "playing", more helping out and taking over when things got tough and my family got desperate for people to ask, so they let a 5 and a half year old me try (Which worked on a couple of occasions.). I have to admit, my whole gaming life was built around Nintendo. I remember begging my sister to let me play on her Gamecube until I got one. I still say "Pokemon snap" and "Mario 64" are in my top 10 of games. I remember Pokemon stadium well too. Pokemon staduim was 'the' and still is 'the' best 3D pokemon game to date. Making a new Pokemon Staduim would be a good idea for nintendo, but I guess kids these days are too busy playing FPS games, and the magical "Xbox". See, until the Xbox 360, most parents would say "Oh, go and play Playstation" or "Go and play with your Nintendo". The Xbox was dead until the 360, and I had never heard of Xbox until so. I have to admit, all companies are trying too hard these days. I remember when games were poorly designed, but still exciting, and they sold! I would honest to god buy a Nintendo 64 if they released a new game for it, just because the limitations of it made it good. The limitations of the console make the creators use their brains to make decent gameplay. That's my opinion, and I was born in 1996, so I still count. (Also, the newer Pokemon games seem to be aimed at different people, and Pokemon is definitely Nintendo's shining star of games, so they're kinda messing it up, but still pulling people along through nostalgia, winning either way. Also, Mario has nothing against Fire-breathing foxes, water shooting pelicans, and dragons from different dimensions.)

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
Tempest13 said:
I won't make any jabs about target audiences or appearances or whatever nintendo is deciding for themselves, I'm just going to say this: Bring back about half the franchises you dropped off the map, nintendo. Starfox, F-Zero, Custom Robo, all begging for console sequels. >_> short rant over
I agree, all of those games are desperately in need of attention. I loved Custom Robo for the GC and Star Fox not having a sequel is just wrong.

Edit: In regards to Star Fox, I meant this generation.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
I sold my Nintendo Wii because all the console had was 7-8 games I'd want. The rest was soo meh, the world might implode in upon itself if they got any more 'meh'.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
WorldCritic said:
Ah Nintendo. We have such a long history, NES: awesome, SNES: one of the best consoles ever, N64: awesome, Gamecube: pretty good, Wii: um... at least you tried?
That's where you're mistaken. The N64 & Gamecube damaged Nintendo substantially. How? By enabling Sony & Microsoft a foothold in the gaming industry.

The N64 (and gen) did more damage than anything. Between sticking with cartridges, to the controller (WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!) all the way to how Nintendo strong-armed third party developers.

Asuka Soryu said:
I sold my Nintendo Wii because all the console had was 7-8 games I'd want. The rest was soo meh, the world might implode in upon itself if they got any more 'meh'.
The wii has monster hunter 3. It doesn't really need anything else.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
no really?

honestly tho, I stopped caring when the Wii came out...actually about the same time I decided I wanted to grow up some

tho I do miss me some LoZ Wind Waker tho heh

joebear15 said:
but...IT PRINTS MONEY
miss me the days when Machinima would do those standoffs where Nintendo "always wins" with that one bit lol

TiefBlau

Apr 16, 2009
IMO the DS is a much stronger system than the Wii. It has a much more diverse and lasting range of games it can feature, and it has some really strong series like Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton, though I have a feeling that neither series appeals to kids (because obviously, Layton feels like homework >.> Kids are stupid).

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Chibz said:
WorldCritic said:
Ah Nintendo. We have such a long history, NES: awesome, SNES: one of the best consoles ever, N64: awesome, Gamecube: pretty good, Wii: um... at least you tried?
That's where you're mistaken. The N64 & Gamecube damaged Nintendo substantially. How? By enabling Sony & Microsoft a foothold in the gaming industry.

The N64 (and gen) did more damage than anything. Between sticking with cartridges, to the controller (WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!) all the way to how Nintendo strong-armed third party developers.

Asuka Soryu said:
The wii has monster hunter 3. It doesn't really need anything else.
Simply stating my opinions on each of the consoles, so in that sense, I'm not mistaken even if you are right about what they did to Nintendo.

DarthSka

Mar 28, 2011
Yeah it's true. And it's sad. I really don't get the iPhone app craze either. These apps and mini-games don't provide (to me at least) that much entertainment in the long run as a handheld game from Nintendo does. After playing Angry Birds for about 15 minutes I thought, "That was a little fun, but is this the extent of it? Oh holiday themes? Yeah..........I'll go back to my DS now." And as egotistical as it sounded, I had to agree with Iwata. Those devices are all about the number of games, not the value of them.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
This made me quite sad. I think insecurity is a major cause of these views on Nintendo, (to be ashamed to be a Mario/Metroid/Pokemon/Zelda/DK/Kirby fan.....how dreadful) and I take issue with the statement that the Iphone has better games than the DS. I think it's nothing short of a tragedy that kids are growing up on CoD instead of Mario 3.....and I didn't even play through Mario 3 until about 4 years ago. All we can do is educate- teach kids that a game is good due to creative mechanics, level design, stories, sights, and sounds, and not headshotz, hooker hit-and-runs, polygon counts, or Skinner box methods.

tigermilk

Sep 4, 2010
beema said:
Also, can you punch your brother/sister in the face for naming their kid Caleb?
It's not so much can as you must, it is the only way they will learn.

In my job I deal a lot with peoples personal records and the amount of kids I feel compulsed to give a dead arm to, and following in your example punch the parent/s in the face for being so cruel. I'm looking at you Cristal-Sherise and your fucking parents.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
Who cares about Mario?

Certainly not me. I mean, sure. I had a lot of fun with first Super Mario Bros when I was a little brat, but since then I'm so sick of all those Mario games (and Zelda. Definitely Zelda. I played at least 4 Zelda games, and I still don't get the appeal of any of them) released year after years... I just want them to be all forgotten, so we can move one to the new things. Enough is enough.