302: Who Cares About Mario?

MrStab

Mar 24, 2011
I think this is only relevant to kids who have parents themsleves that aren't gamers because my dad wanted to introduce my younger brother to gaming (he was nearly five at the time) so he went and got the N64 out of the cupboard and introduced him in to Banjo Kazooie shortly after this we learnt that he gets just as mad when he games as the rest of us.

LordDarkPhantom

Apr 23, 2011
I feel nostalgic for Nintendo. I remember playing my very first game of Mario on the Gameboy Colour and being hooked. But that time has passed, much like Atari's time is over. I feel that Nintendo has now become a game for children, with the release of the PS3 and Xbox. Their attempt in making a console has failed imo. Yes, it sold a LARGE number, but I think that was solely due to their marketing. The games of Nintendo now lack the quality that Sony and Microsoft can offer with their PS3s and Xbox 360s, respectively.

Arkynomicon

Mar 25, 2011
I grew up with the old NES console myself as my introduction to gaming and never had a SNES because it probably looked like the exact same thing to my parents. I was fine with that and all but then Nintendo ruined it for me.

They released the N64.

Things where fine at first with Super Mario 64 and Golden Eye but then the problems started. The controllers where a piece of crap because the analogue seemed prone to breaking. There was also that rubbish that some games needed a memory pack to save the game. But what really killed it was the The 4 MB memory Expansion Pak. There was no way I could justify to my mom that I needed a new piece of hardware to play the new N64 games. I couldn't really justify the price either to myself so I fell out with N64 and started playing PC-games instead.

Now Sony on the other hands did release a console with less strings attached, more exciting games, more RPG's and even some horror genera games. So I ended up buying an old PS1 from a friend with a huge pile of bootleg games he had. Then gaming started getting really good when I turned 18 and got myself a PS2 and consider it to be the best console I had the pleasure to play on. The current generation is fine but quality is really lacking in the RPG department.

I didn't abandon Nintendo all together though. I was very pleased with the GBA generation of game sand still like it better then the clunky NDS.

But yeah, Nintendo worn out it's welcome with me already in the 90's. As for Mario, he lost his novelty value to me in the 90's as well.

ranger19

Nov 19, 2008
Fun article.. interesting to hear what younger players think of when they think of Nintendo.

You can't help but wonder, with the rumors of Nintendo's next system swirling about, if maybe Nintendo, having now gained entry into millions of homes worldwide, is poised to recapture an enlarged "core" market with their next generation.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
tigermilk said:
It's not so much can as you must, it is the only way they will learn.

In my job I deal a lot with peoples personal records and the amount of kids I feel compulsed to give a dead arm to, and following in your example punch the parent/s in the face for being so cruel. I'm looking at you Cristal-Sherise and your fucking parents.
lol
oh man, that's a bad one

Grabbin Keelz

Jun 3, 2009
This is probably for the best. This means Nintendo can't just sell something purely off of nostalgia and hope it sells. Was I really the only one dissapointed by the New Super Mario bros. Wii?

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
I have this theory that kids whose first video games are Nintendo games naturally forget about it as they get older... but then, once they hit adulthood and are no longer terrified of being seen as "childish," they get nostalgic for retro games, and start checking them out again.

So no, I wouldn't worry, Caleb has just started that phase a little early.

MissAshley

Jul 20, 2009
We're in an age of disposable media, shortening attention spans, and increased social connectedness. All of this together leads to a trend of hopping from game to game and usually lingering more upon those which peers deem acceptable, not just to avoid embarrassment but to ensure an audience exists to play the game with.

People who aren't ashamed to enjoy things their age peers are supposedly not supposed to like are either dwindling in number or influence.

Grabbin Keelz said:
This is probably for the best. This means Nintendo can't just sell something purely off of nostalgia and hope it sells. Was I really the only one dissapointed by the New Super Mario bros. Wii?
I was a little disappointed with New Super Mario Bros., but enjoyed New Super Mario Bros. Wii much more (despite some people I've communicated with overrating its difficulty).

Caverat

Jun 11, 2010
I grew up on good ole tandy back in the 80s. I always had a pc, the first console I owned was a 360.

Yeah, I never got much play out of Mario titles, without the nostalgia, there is very little reason to play those games.

NaramSuen

Jun 8, 2010
GamerMage said:
NaramSuen said:
I can't blame these kids for not having any brand loyalty. My loyalty to Nintendo was betrayed by their complete and utter lack of decent RPGs for the N64. Quest 64 was utter garbage and Paper Mario came out 5 years after the console was released. And yes, I am still a little bitter.
Bull crap! Magaical Starsign,The Naruto:path of the Ninja games,Attack of the Saiyans, DQ4,there was a frakking triquel to Golden Sun for the DS for crying out loud!
Unless I am mistaken, all of these games are on the DS. I said that my loyalty to Nintendo was betrayed by the fact that the N64 had no decent RPGs. Pointing out RPGs on the DS does not erase my displeasure at the lack of RPGs for the N64.

NaramSuen

Jun 8, 2010
GamerMage said:
The original article was about brand loyalty and my point was that my loyalty to the Nintendo brand ended when they failed to produce any decent RPGs for the N64. Since then, I have never purchased a Nintendo console. I was given a Wii, but it is collecting dust and has seen significantly less of my gaming time than my PSP. I am sure that the DS has a lot of great RPGs and I might even play them some day, but none of those purchases will be new and represent lost revenue to Nintendo. They made it clear that they didn't want my money, so it went somewhere else.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I used to have nothing against Mario or Mac products, but ever since 2007, their fanboys have been constantly shoving their digital Lord & Saviors down my throat & now I have a disdain for both franchises. I managed to get over the same problem with World of Warcraft a year or 2 ago, but Mario is still hounding me on every corner of the internet.