303: Glitching the Tank

Apr 22, 2011
Glitching the Tank

With four players of dubious ability, far too many zombies, and 35 Gamerscore points on the line, sometimes you just have to cheat.

Read Full Article

Spark Ignition

Sep 29, 2010
Ahhhhhh left 4 dead glitches. Personally I managed to complete all the expert campaigns legitimately (I have VERY good friends), but resorted to the finale glitch for my very last achievement, the one requiring a full campaign runthrough without a single zombie touching you.

EDIT oops actually typed the captcha text in there...

The Imp

Nov 9, 2009
1. There are no Zombies in Left4Dead. Even the developers said their monsters are infected humans.
2. What is a "Gamescore"?
3. No, never, under no circumstances what so ever are cheats, exploits or glitches okay - at least in a MP game.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
The Imp said:
1. There are no Zombies in Left4Dead. Even the developers said their monsters are infected humans.
2. What is a "Gamescore"?
3. No, never, under no circumstances what so ever are cheats, exploits or glitches okay - at least in a MP game.
Dude take a chill pill, for the first 2 points, stop being so pedantic and for the 3rd, well who the hell cares? It's an achievement, if it were something competetive fair enough, glitching puts the other players at a disadvantage but for co-op who the hell cares? Everyone wins.

OT: nice article, there's only been a few games where i've bothered to go for all the achievements, which were all single player so i never really considered them to be something which could create such good teamwork but you've made me want to start playing left 4 dead again so i can try.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Meh. I suppose I'd have found the article more interesting if it wasn't for the fact I'm constantly playing L4D2 on expert or advanced (mostly the former) on the most ridiculous custom maps because my one friend insists the game is too easy otherwise (and in some cases, he's right).

That being said, I did sort of cheat to get the all-expert achievement in L4D2 when the mutations came out. Just Gib fest on the maps on expert by yourself. Since I didn't play with others much in doing that, I felt it was find to run through all the maps with the m60... and it was fun too. :D

Maldark

Apr 27, 2010
I finished all the campaigns on expert with 1 friend and 2 bots, It really wansn't anything too hard... Although I do have something like 500 hours in L4D.

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
Brandon Cackowski-Schnell said:
Once on the plane, the only real threat was smokers, but yet another bug offered immunity to their attack provided someone was constantly meleeing you.
That's not a bug. Meleeing someone who is grabbed by a smoker releases them.

HaraDaya

Nov 9, 2009
I've always taken achievements as something that's an achievement, so I would never cheat my way to them. I'm not even gonna try and get an achievement like "don't use any medkits throughout the campaign" on easy mode, it's expert or nothing.
I can guess they matter a lot more to people on xbox live than on PC. On PC (Steam) you don't get any points, you just unlock the achievement in the achievement list for the game. Of course in Games For Windows Live you get points just like on xbox live, but let's not talk about that abomination.

pneuma08 said:
Brandon Cackowski-Schnell said:
Once on the plane, the only real threat was smokers, but yet another bug offered immunity to their attack provided someone was constantly meleeing you.
That's not a bug. Meleeing someone who is grabbed by a smoker releases them.
Well I can imagine he meant they won't even try to grab them.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Really enjoyable article, though that may be because I love the L4D franchise and am sort of a achievement whore.
When i got my first game on Steam and saw the achievements, i HAD to get them all. It might take me time, but i WILL get them all (though i do have some worries about TF2. Jesus, over 300 achievements. Fun :D!).

When me and 3 of my friends decided to start trying out expert, we at first used tricks to finish them (for example, in L4D2, the Dark Carnival finale, if you jump to the right place and crouch, no zombies will spawn when the finale crescendo event is on). The difficulty jump from advanced to expert is REALLY big, it was amazing how fast anything could take you down. So we had to make it a bit easier.

But after playing a while, we decided to play it normally. And it's actually fun. Much harder, but the feeling was pretty damn awesome. But still, i know it's fun to do what the article-writer did.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
I used ALL of these glitches with my friend to get the achievement myself. Though we at least played through the entire campaign on expert instead of just the finale.
I'm just annoyed that, as far as I know, the Crash Course achievements online are still unobtainable.

KO4U

Aug 15, 2010
Can't say I'm above the satisfaction of teamwork, but achievements like "What are you trying to prove?" ARE below me, sweet Jesus, miles below me!

warrenEBB

Nov 4, 2008
huh. exploiting glitches in games really disgusts me.

It's like being proud that each friday night, you and a bunch of like-minded friends, will get together and cheat at monopoly. You could obey the rules, but you prefer to ignore the inconvenient ones - and thus you all end up millionaires! It feels so great for you guys! And if Xbox live were to offer a specialized stamp for being good at monopoly - you could stand proud amongst all of those who have played it long enough to actually demonstrate some skill at the game!

It's not at all what the game designers intended, and it doesn't demonstrate any creativity to Google up glitches (You have not "created your own game"). But you don't have a lot of time.

I'm glad you are happy. Being an anarchist, or a thief, or a protestor, or generally entitled, is hip these days.

Still... getting something without earning it: is not an "achievement" I would want to announce to the world.

(plus, there's a special hell for people who will vote kick you from that game because you don't want to exploit a glitch with them. ugh.).

pokepuke

Dec 28, 2010
I find L4D extremely easy, as long as you have decent players and not a bunch of random retards that just bought the game or play with the sound off. I've finished campaigns on expert with people that serendipitously happened to meet up at the same time and were good, though there were teething issues with getting used to the extreme friendly fire damage.

I only play Versus now because that is the only place to get a real challenge from the infected. Although, playing as infected can be difficult if the survivors are at least the slightest bit decent, and especially so in L4D2 where the maps are horribly designed for the infected side (there are so many places that are missing climb ladders).

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
I admit to consoling a bit to get my expert achievement runs in L4D - specifically I'd use it to "kick" specials that couldn't/wouldn't otherwise be killed. In my defense, I had a reason for doing this: I was running them alone.

Have you tried running expert campaigns with only AI survivors to back you up? It's damn near impossible WITHOUT glitching/exploiting/otherwise breaking the game in some way.

Didn't in the sequel, though. Bile jars are all the "exploit" you need to get through L4D2 on expert. The hardest panic events and finales are transformed into cakewalks if you get lucky enough to have 2-3 bile jars spawn on the map, particularly the scavenge finale for Dead Center. If all you have to worry about are specials and tanks it gets much, much easier.

Fun read. Thanks for sharing. ^.^

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
Wow. Am I like the only one who didn't know about the Jesus room and Jesus rock?
Interesting read, although I will echo what has already been said. Exploiting a glitch for achievements isn't exactly praiseworthy. I mean, it's nice to get achievements for "bragging rights", so-to-speak, but the manner in which you achieve them also counts. The guy who snags that particular achievement by beating the Expert campaigns fair and square is much more worthy of admiration.
Incidentally, I kinda like XxRyanxX's metaphor, as I was always the type of student to study hard for my good grades while a few others didn't play by the rules. Always annoyed the heck out of me.

afaceforradio

Jul 29, 2009
I think my fave L4D achievement exploit (wouldn't call it a glitch) is in the airport (Death Toll, was it?), where the tank shows up when you're all still in the safe room, about the second or third chapter in, I believe. Kill your teammates, wait for it to show, and kill it yourself without getting harmed - awesome! Easy gamerscore!

Edit: I just read some of the responses really ragging on exploits so I feel I should back my above response up by saying all 10,400k or so was gotten through solid, normal gameplay, aside from that one.

... and there's really no need to take it all so seriously, gamerscore is not gamerworth :) tis but a number, and a FUN one at that!

SammiYin

Mar 15, 2010
Thanks to idiots showing the world their glitches, you get to do it and everyone else that comes after has to do it legitimately because it got patched.
Thanks. Now we have to kill the tank properly.

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
cute, Nice story! I couldn't relate, because I didn't enjoy L4d, and even less L4D2... but none the less, nice story!~