303: Glitching the Tank

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
I beat that achievement on day 1. Still it's funny to laugh at the mortals that need to cheat to get it, and still struggle.

I found this article funny, and interesting. Since the subject wasn't all that interesting, it must have been because the writer was a pro.

pejhmon

Mar 2, 2010
Brian Hendershot said:
Kill a Tank with melee weapons only. What the sandcastle Valve?
Easiest non glitch way was that chainsaw only mutation on easy. Although saying that the way I initially did it was by setting the parish finale to expert, killing the bots, changing to easy and taking the set placed tank being really careful with the baseball bat (or wtv I used). Main thing was to make sure that if I got hit I wouldn't fly off the edge and to have pills handy and since he doesn't do that much damage on easy you can take a fair few hits. Other than that get a group of friends and straight rush.

Gears of War 2; Seriously 2.0
That's an achievement and a half to get without grinding for 18 hours straight and one I believe I may never get (I refuse to grind out of boredom reasons)

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
pejhmon said:
Brian Hendershot said:
Kill a Tank with melee weapons only. What the sandcastle Valve?
Easiest non glitch way was that chainsaw only mutation on easy. Although saying that the way I initially did it was by setting the parish finale to expert, killing the bots, changing to easy and taking the set placed tank being really careful with the baseball bat (or wtv I used). Main thing was to make sure that if I got hit I wouldn't fly off the edge and to have pills handy and since he doesn't do that much damage on easy you can take a fair few hits. Other than that get a group of friends and straight rush.

Gears of War 2; Seriously 2.0
That's an achievement and a half to get without grinding for 18 hours straight and one I believe I may never get (I refuse to grind out of boredom reasons)
Don't even get me started on the Gears of War 2.0 Achievement. I almost had it once...and then I had to switch accounts. (For some reason I forgot my password to my account, and the e-mail I used was invalid so I couldn't prove it was my account. Stupid *******). Anyways...yeah. Hate that achievement and all achievements like it. Achievements like that are put in the game only to make you keep playing it... (I think that's why Epic put the Golden Retro Lancer in their beta. To keep us playing the game. (The sly buggers).

13lackfriday

Feb 10, 2009
Hahaha...love your narrative...

It's funny how you describe the impending doom of a coming Steam patch with more dread than the zombie apocalypse you're placed in :p

perpetualburn

Mar 18, 2010
I don't really care how you obtained the achievements, but I'm curious...Doesn't cheating lessen the feeling of achievement? In other words, against the point of Achievements?

Grabbin Keelz

Jun 3, 2009
I was able to get 'Still Something to Prove' in L4D2 because I had joined a special server that allowed like 20 players and low gravity. There was even a points system that let you buy weapons and health. The downside was that special infected and hordes constantly spawned, but it was fucking awesome.

Blightning

Take 3 damage, discard 2 cards.
Oct 26, 2010
I got the achievement legitimately on the PC. It was difficult, but with a good team and some luck you should be able to do it. Now Left 4 Dead 2, I haven't even tried. I find that game much harder with my play style, probably because I relied heavily on shotguns, melee attacks and pistols in the first and now those things are not as easy to abuse. Plus my regular play group kind of broke up.

One achievement I never went to the effort to do was Nothing Special. We tried maybe a handful of times, but it is not fun at all to do, since about a half hour of work can be made worthless in a few seconds.

As for defeating the tank with melee weapons only, it's very doable, but you need 4 people together who are achievement hunting and some coordination. The tank takes a while to turn corners and turn around (although at one point there was a bug where he would lumber toward you backwards and be facing you as the computer believed) and also to climb objects. If you can kite the tank into climbing a ledge you have a good block of time to wail on him. Then you need the person who has aggro (dealt most damage most recently) to run away, loop around a building or something to get some distance on him and trick the tank into climbing again.

C-Demo

Mar 11, 2010
I don't see why glitching is necessary honestly. With a team of competent players (note: Competent, GOOD is optional), you can easily get to the Finale in under two hours in any expert campaign.

As for the finales themselves, PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT. Just skip to the finale, practice it a few times, then do the campaign for real the next day.

While i can't really complain about glitching in a co-op game, cheating to boost Gamerscore is a bit of an insult to everyone who got it legitimately.

catalyst8

Oct 29, 2008
It's a well-written article, but that doesn't change the fact that cheating is cheating. It also doesn't change the fact that displaying dishonestly gained achievements is a lie.

It's hardly surprising that gamers are so often viewed with such dismissive & derisive contempt by the mainstream population.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
You don't have to play mediocre games to have a great gamerscore. I'm about to break 50k and every game I have on my system was enjoyable to play.

S_K

Nov 16, 2007
"tremendous respect for a game that could dismantle us so completely" ? As much as I try to like left for dead as a series the ai director imo comes accross more like an AI troll, which is basically some kid with a bunch of "spawn enemy here" buttons.

The more of his monsters you kill, the more and more and more angry he becomes, anyone whose killed a hunter in a hetic battle where you're surrounded only for it to near instantly reappear around a corner knows what I'm talking about.

xsoenx

Dec 15, 2010
nice story did the glitches at the end, with 2 friends.
Bit to all you who say that glitching and such is bad, HAVE YOU TRIED L4D on xbox 360??? it is 5 times harder than the pc version, nobody on 360 has done this legit because it is so hard, we all uses these glitches because they are pretty much a part of the game for us.
And don´t tell me you never have cheated,used exploits or glitch in some game at all

burymagnets

Nov 30, 2010
I tend to rate my achievements by how many people other players haven't been good or interested enough to get them. trueachievements.com is a really good site for checking this out.

I think, therefore, that if an achievement can be glitched, the achievement is essentially for utilising that glitch. Many other players would have used the exploit, that what it rewards, doing it legitimately is just a longer and tougher solution.

Not that using an exploit can substitute the personal satisfaction of gaining a difficult cheevo on you're own steam. My hat's off to anyone who puts in the time and effort:)

C-Demo

Mar 11, 2010
xsoenx said:
nice story did the glitches at the end, with 2 friends.
Bit to all you who say that glitching and such is bad, HAVE YOU TRIED L4D on xbox 360??? it is 5 times harder than the pc version, nobody on 360 has done this legit because it is so hard, we all uses these glitches because they are pretty much a part of the game for us.
And don´t tell me you never have cheated,used exploits or glitch in some game at all
You sir, are a liar. I got 1000/1000 on the 360 without glitching or cheating.

The trick is to not suck.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
I like the glitch that Valve did to me.

Erased the amount of zombies I killed due to a patch, so I got reset for a certain achievement I was working towards slowly.

Thanks alot, guys.