306: Mickey's Epic

Nate Corran

Dec 26, 2009
The mere memory of the scene when Mickey gets pissed over Goofy in KHII still gives me chills. They are probably some of my favorite games of all time (when i beat KhI the first time, i stopped to record the ending on VHS, i think i still have it somewhere)

And i was very upset about what transpired with Epic Mickey because i was freaking excited about the steam punk stuff, but i am ok now that i am reminded the truest Epic Mickey :]

Aug 3, 2010
First of: I <3 Kingdom Hearts 2 and all the series. (Like my name reads X3)
Secondly: Im glad Sqaure. and Disney combined forces to make this series. I remeber the first day I played Kh2 ,( which was the game that started my fan-dum)I was hoping the game was better then watching Hanna Montana or any low Disney singer at that age.My wish came true by a long shot! I was the happy-est little 10 yrd old that day and on. As years past,I still contined playing the Kingdom Hearts games, Why? because they brought "good" meormises of the "Real" disney I knew and loved(not the "lies" we see today).
(That and the fact they put some of my fav. people (Mickey,Dondald,Goofy,ect.) from Disney fight along side a new brown spicky haired friend that I came to like(Sora).)
My point is, in my opion, I thank Kingdom Hearts for bring back some of that Disney feeling that I long missed. I missed my Disney friends from my childhood and KH brought them back with fimaliar smiles and new "tricks".Plus Ive meet new people(FF/KH People) I came to care for in the series.All that said and done,once again,Thank you Kingdom Hearts.....

Logic 0

Aug 28, 2009
calling mickey a badass is a insult for how awesome he is he's so awesome words to describe it would only be an insult to the king.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Epic Mickey was so lackluster, but Mickey in Kingdom Hearts shows us how a character should be. Part Batman, Part Yoda, Part God-King. This is really where Disney should invest in their characters, as this series can draw all kinds of feelings from the audience.

I remember being shocked into disbelief when Goofy was gone. I too swore revenge against them all, and went ballistic. Not many games evoke that kind of feeling.

Feylynn

Feb 16, 2010
Long live the King!
Long live Mickey Mouse!

Gods I can only hope I see Kingdom Hearts 3 sometime this millennium.
Even after that I can only hope to see more Mickey of KH2's caliber.

snakeys

Aug 8, 2008
ccesarano said:
Whereas Kingdom Hearts only truly grabbed Final Fantasy fans first, and what few Disney die-hards continue to exist after.
Sorry, ccesarano, but I think you are way off base on this one. I think there were more than a few people, such as myself, that had never played a Final Fantasy game before and were not even remotely interested in JRPGs that the KH series grabbed. For me, the whole concept of blending Disney together with an action RPG was enough to bring me in. I am by no means a "die-hard Disney fan," and neither am I one of those die-hard KH fans. However, I do find KH very interesting from the aspect that it has a relatively interesting story, a good mission structure, and it sort of grabs that nostaglic element from my childhood. I was vaguely aware of Final Fantasy before having played KH, but had never played FF, and I have not played a FF game since then.

I guess what I am saying is that you don't have to be either a FF fanboy or a Disney fanboy to like KH. KH 1 and 2 are just fun, nostalgic games with good gameplay and a compelling - if a little sappy - story.

And a TERRIBLE rhythm game in the Little Mermaid World. :)

farq1414

Jan 26, 2011
WOO DISNEY! WOO KINGDOM HEARTS!!
sorry had to get that out of my system
love the games and mickey ever since my childhood so me seeing him being such a badass in KH2 made it so cool god EPIC.
also of topic here man i wish square would annonce kingdom hearts 3 at E3 this year that would ROCK

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
snakeys said:
I guess what I am saying is that you don't have to be either a FF fanboy or a Disney fanboy to like KH.
I didn't say you have to be, and I imagine that it easily appeals to a larger audience than the Final Fantasy games at this point (as heretical as that may seem). I'm saying that the people who saw the game in a magazine or on the Internet and made the jump to purchase it were most likely Final Fantasy fans first (and from my experience, most numerous) and Disney fans second, with anyone in between, a devotee to neither company or franchise, being the third uncommon buyer.

Of course, this isn't empirical evidence, and I don't know if you could ever have reliable statistics for such a thing. Additionally, since its creation Kingdom Hearts has become its own franchise with a following outside of both Disney and Final Fantasy at this point. My perspective was primarily given from that of an observer having worked at GameStop at the time and picking up on conversations in the store and on the Internet.

Fullmetalfox

Apr 5, 2011
I'm sad to see what kingdom hearts has become. They are just milking the franchise on handhelds when it could have been so much more.

Niccolo

Dec 15, 2007
Canadish said:
Having only played through the Kingdom Hearts series this last month, this article really rang true.

Micky Mouse = God Emperor of Disney-Kind.

Kingdom hearts 2 spoilers
I died for the first time in the game against Xemnas' Mecha Space Dragon/Jet.
You know, when he's in full armor and sitting on his throne with the 12 foot sword and using all the powers of the rest of Organization XIII?
Micky showed up for the first time right then. Truly one of the most badass moments in my gaming life, and delivered by Micky Mouse no less. He just spanked that boss and put me back on my feet.
I then went into Final Form and caused Oblivion ^_^
Good times...

So yes, I was thinking about this myself. What was the point of Epic Micky, when Kingdom Hearts had already made Micky a memeic badass?

Maybe its because Kingdom Hearts 3 is NEVER going to come out.
Not the way Square Enix is going anyway...
Given Square-Enix's run for the past while, I'm not sure I want KH3 to come out. Sora in fetish gear is not something I want to see.

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
Meh...

I absolutely loved Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 and Chain of Memories. If Mickey had been more prevalent in the story then perhaps but he was always in the background doing other things. Sort of like the 2nd half of Chain of Memories when you play with Rikku.

As for Epic Mickey, I played through the game in a somewhat broken state 4 months before release and had an absolute blast with him. I'm amazed at the negative attention it got. The game is by no means absolutely amazing but it's great for what it is.

Never got to finish it though, I got a progression stopper inside the blot and turns out when we finished the game it crashed and corrupted our save files every time so we never saw the final cut-scene T_T DAMN YOU JUNCTION POINT STUDIOS!!!

*Note - Just wanted to add, if SE were to announce an exclusive KH3 for PS3, I would buy a PS3. I can't wait to see the absolutely absurd and flashy combat particle effects in HD.

Dora

Jul 13, 2009
I finally got around to trying Kingdom Hearts for the first time the other day and my GOD that's the most bored I've ever been in an RPG. Beautiful design, absolutely average and uninteresting cast. I get the feeling I might have liked it more if I had been a bigger Final Fantasy fan or something because the few hours I gave it seemed to have a lot of shout-outs, but I absolutely could not muster any interest in the story and whining whatsoever. I think I would have liked it more if it HAD featured Mickey and crew as the sole focus and stars in a fantasy setting. As it was, after two to three hours of my husband and I sitting on the couch mocking every line of dialogue and over-dramatic scene, I had to call it quits.

Of course, part of it is probably due to my own changing tastes. I can fully admit that if I'd played it when I was fourteen or so I'd probably have loved it, since there was a period of time when I refused to play a game that wasn't a Squaresoft or Zelda RPG title, but those are the days of yore. You know what started my change in attitude? Harvest Moon for SNES. Once I played that and realised that I actually really liked it even though I thought it sounded stupid, I started taking more chances on games and genres. Now I've got Grand Theft Auto, Silent Hill, Persona, and Fallout all sharing shelf space.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
To bad Disney and Square Enix went overboard with all those hand held tie ins... Man was the beginning of KH2 confusing if you hadn't played CoM...

Love KH and KH2, but didn't like the hand held ones... which sort of ruined the series for me.

creager91

Mar 3, 2011
Carlos Alexandre said:
The problem with KH, coming from a former big fan if it, is its original characters don't hold a freaking candle to Disney's.

Malificent is about 153x more menacing than all of Organization 13 put together.

Also Nomura is a horrible storyteller. I'm not joking when I say the KH story feels like a bad crossover fanfic bursting at the seems with Mary Sues.

I heard originally Donald was going to be the main character. I weep over that not happening.
Actually I'm pretty sure Mickey was supposed to be the main character but something about Squeenix wanting a human character and having it be more of a co-op then squeenix making a disney game with FF cameos and what not, worked out pretty well i think, i found this http://www.kh-vids.net/showthread.php?76292-Just-some-Kingdom-Hearts-fun-facts to confirm my suspicion and it also has some other fun KH facts lol im a huge fan of the series if you couldnt tell. dont know if the link will work right so just copy and paste if you want to see it lol

farq1414

Jan 26, 2011
Dora said:
I finally got around to trying Kingdom Hearts for the first time the other day and my GOD that's the most bored I've ever been in an RPG. Beautiful design, absolutely average and uninteresting cast. I get the feeling I might have liked it more if I had been a bigger Final Fantasy fan or something because the few hours I gave it seemed to have a lot of shout-outs, but I absolutely could not muster any interest in the story and whining whatsoever. I think I would have liked it more if it HAD featured Mickey and crew as the sole focus and stars in a fantasy setting. As it was, after two to three hours of my husband and I sitting on the couch mocking every line of dialogue and over-dramatic scene, I had to call it quits.

Of course, part of it is probably due to my own changing tastes. I can fully admit that if I'd played it when I was fourteen or so I'd probably have loved it, since there was a period of time when I refused to play a game that wasn't a Squaresoft or Zelda RPG title, but those are the days of yore. You know what started my change in attitude? Harvest Moon for SNES. Once I played that and realised that I actually really liked it even though I thought it sounded stupid, I started taking more chances on games and genres. Now I've got Grand Theft Auto, Silent Hill, Persona, and Fallout all sharing shelf space.
just keep playing when you get to neverland that's where the story starts to really kick in and KH2 has more mickey so trust me

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
Canadish said:
Having only played through the Kingdom Hearts series this last month, this article really rang true.

Micky Mouse = God Emperor of Disney-Kind.

Kingdom hearts 2 spoilers
I died for the first time in the game against Xemnas' Mecha Space Dragon/Jet.
You know, when he's in full armor and sitting on his throne with the 12 foot sword and using all the powers of the rest of Organization XIII?
Micky showed up for the first time right then. Truly one of the most badass moments in my gaming life, and delivered by Micky Mouse no less. He just spanked that boss and put me back on my feet.
I then went into Final Form and caused Oblivion ^_^
Good times...

So yes, I was thinking about this myself. What was the point of Epic Micky, when Kingdom Hearts had already made Micky a memeic badass?

Maybe its because Kingdom Hearts 3 is NEVER going to come out.
Not the way Square Enix is going anyway...
Oh man that battle, that was the very first time I went into Final Form.
It made me jizz myself!
As I was unaware such a form existed.

OT: I remember the chills On my back when Mickey said ''They'll pay for this''
Discarded his cloak and summoned his Keyblade.
It was epic beyond belief, a giant ridiculous mouse was epic beyond belief.

DOES NOT COMPUTE!

Dora

Jul 13, 2009
farq1414 said:
just keep playing when you get to neverland that's where the story starts to really kick in and KH2 has more mickey so trust me
Unfortunately, I've never been able to bring myself to keep playing a game just because it might "get better later", even if that's true. I'm sure it's a great game to a lot of people, but I have a ton of games I can fire up and enjoy from minute one. :)

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
It strikes me that, stripped completely of the "I'm a cartoon icon" angle, Mickey Mouse would make a perfectly good launching point for a modern revamp of the ps1-era "platformerer starring an animal". Epic Mickey took a huge misstep in trying to get kids to care about arcane Disney mythology.

Also in being terrible.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
Dora said:

I played it recently myself, and I'm past the teenage years.
It's bearable if you can just switch your brain back to those simpler times, and think of the whole thing as a big Disney cartoon.
Just block out all the "DARKNESS!!!" and "Friendship!" and your gold.

The game did serve to remind me just how awful Square Enix is at writing and at introducing any human, realistic relateable themes in their games (beyond "FRIENDSHIP!!").