Doctor Who Re-Imagined in Kick-Ass Anime Form

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Doctor Who Re-Imagined in Kick-Ass Anime Form

Doctor Who's creators probably never conceived that their character would be animated in Japanese style.

This clip of Doctor Who in anime form is not an official creation, it's a fan project, but it still has given me new reason to live. This is Paul "Otaking" Johnson's third released clip of his attempts to animate the Doctor, and it looks great.

Doctor Who is a series almost too complicated and long-running to explain, with over 700 episodes under its belt, but it basically follows a man named the Doctor as he goes on wacky adventures throughout space and time. He is the last of the Time Lords, with his space-time vehicle of choice being the TARDIS, a police box that is way bigger inside than it appears from the outside.

Doctor Who was first shown on television in the 1960s, with its current-running BBC revival starting in 2005. Doctor Who has been able to last so long partially due to the the Doctor's trait of full-body regeneration when he dies, allowing for an easy switch in the actor that plays him. The Doctor will be regenerating for a tenth time in 2010, though Time Lords are said to only be able to regenerate a total of twelve times.

This clip features the third doctor, here [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Pertwee].

The bottom line is that I would throw my money at any company that actually chose to put out a Doctor Who anime. It could even run longer than DragonBall Z.

(Via: Japanator [http://www.japanator.com/doctor-who-anime-project-continues-11884.phtml])

Gingerman

Aug 20, 2009
Good lord that was terrible, its like someone skinned alive doctor who and wore the remains in some attempt to trick us. I think I'm going to need to have a little lie down now...

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
Um, I didn't care for it, the interior of the space shit was so cultered that you couldn't tell what where the cybermen were, it was very visually distracting. Also the animation of the various characters was very very stiff, the cybermen stood in one place too long without animation and then when they were animated only one arm moved.

I know its a fan project and it is far better than I could ever do, but still, I didn't care for it.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
It's certainly top quality animation, when there is any animation,...that's really the only compliment I can give.

The art style is terrible, the concept seems rather stupid (an anime doctor who? Why anime anyway, look at how many frames per second were used). Of course, combining anime wth doctor who is bound to get you some fans, what with the two groups being stereotypical fanatics on the subject.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
For a FAN Project, that was awesome!
Id watch it.
This Dr.Who looked awesome, if its possable to make him even more awesome.
(the chick at 00:22 needs more clothes though, it looked cold.)

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
wow hate. For a fan project i think this is welll done. As for why a Doctor Who anime would be a good idea, I think it would work to bring the series to life a little bit. Even the effects in the current version are somewhat hokey. Sure Doctor Who is not about effects but I enjoyed watching the these Cybermen that actually have a range of motion, rather than the basically cardboard cutouts of the old days. A Doctor Who anything could be great if done faithfully, that's my view, because I love the character so much.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
yeah sorry that's really bad, just wait till Root sees it, tho he probly has and is trying to articulate a post that won't get him perma-banned

i think the biggest thing is they missed is who and what the Doctor is. also only in the new series is he the last of the time lords, in the original series there's a ton of them

savandicus

Jun 5, 2008
At first i thought it could be good and then i realised it isnt good.

Atall.

Even a little bit.

O wells.

Fenixius

Feb 5, 2007
Gah, you guys give much hate. There are flaws, yes, but a professionally written and animated Doctor Who anime would be just excellent.

And given that this guy is working alone on this, it's pretty goddamn impressive.

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
In the quiet words of the virgin Mary. "Come again?"

Well as fan based projects go it's Ok I guess.

Oh Wow I've Gone Gonzo.

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
WoW fanboy hate.

An anime based on doctor who would be fantastic. Don't let haters here tell you otherwise.+