36% of All Games Owned on Steam Are Never Played

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Sgt. Sykes said:
This is not at all surprising, but the Skyrim statistics should raise a flag. Who buys Skyrim and never plays it?

More likely it's people installing the game and playing it offline. Not everyone wants Steam to track everything they do and installing a game and never running it online doesn't appear in the public profile statistics.
i kind of did, i gave that game like 9 hours to try to pull me in, and it failed miserably

i dont understand the hype, i bought it because i loved fallout 3, but its worse in almost every way, worse story, worse setting, hell even somehow worse combat, what a waste of 15 bucks, maybe i should mod it into something good

Black Reaper

Aug 19, 2011
That's why i don't claim all the games in my humble bundles, i can just gift them someday if i don't plan on playing them

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
I look at my Steam library, and I panic; there's no game that starts with "c", so I go buy a cheap thing starting with "c" so that I don't panic and shoot myself in the face, jump out a window or kill someone.

No seriously guys, this is still pretty interesting. I only ever buy things I want to play, so I'm suprised at how many games go unplayed. If developers made demoes for their games, I imagine this wouldn't happen.

Yal

We are a rattlesnake
Dec 22, 2010
Sgt. Sykes said:
This is not at all surprising, but the Skyrim statistics should raise a flag. Who buys Skyrim and never plays it?
I bought Skyrim in the winter sale and just haven't got to it yet. Someday!

I think it took me two years to finally get around to Oblivion so, you know, this is not without precedent.

kaizen2468

Nov 20, 2009
all the games i haven't installed are games i bought in bundles for like 80% off because i wanted one or two at a good price.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Yeah can't argue with that. Final fantasy XIV and World of Tanks have been sucking up most of my gaming time.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
AntiChri5 said:
Remember kids, Steam Sales are not your friend.
Nope. It doesn't matter if half the games you own are unplayed or grossly underplayed. If you got them 75% off, you still got a good deal on average.

J.McMillen

Sep 11, 2008
There's also buying a game and it's sequels, but not installing the later ones till you finish the first one.

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
Sgt. Sykes said:

More likely it's people installing the game and playing it offline. Not everyone wants Steam to track everything they do and installing a game and never running it online doesn't appear in the public profile statistics.
I'm pretty sure that steam still tracks playtime when offline. That said, the fact that just over 5% of Skyrim owners haven't played it isn't surprising. I know a lot of people who owned it on the 360 or PS3 that bought it on steam, but had already played through 90% of the game. Why install that huge game when you've already beat it?

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
BraveSirRobin said:
Honestly that's one of the things in the article I have no trouble believing. Unlike most games designed to be played once or twice. Each of those six have the benefit of immense replayability and extensive brand presence regardless of personal opinion. Each of those also has the backing of an incredibly old and popular franchise. When you couple that with the fact that Dota 2 and TF2 are literally free, and that probably ~10% of people DON'T own one of the counter strikes by now, and that they routinely just have more players than other games most of the time, it's pretty easy to see that gametime builds up quickly.
Well sure, but to see them having equivalent, combined playtime to that of the combined total of the thousands of other titles on Steam is still pretty astounding.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
well in my case according to my steam list i have played 104 of 169 games and i have 48 currently installed
but you have to remember that some of those are huge steaming piles of crap that were uninstalled after finding out how huge a pile of crap they were

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
A lot of this is impulse buys I'm willing to bet. You see that game that all your friends are playing for like £3, you play one Co-Op game and then never touch it again.

God damn Gaben and his glorious sales.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I played every game on Steam Sale, it is the Humble Bundles where the bulk of the games that never get played.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
What a load of BS. I wouldn't waste my money like tha-

Age of Empires 3
Batman: Arkham City
Brutal Legend
Darksiders 2
DLC Quest
Fantasy Wars (when the fuck did I get that!?)
Grotesque Tactics
Grotesque Tactics 2
Half Life: All of them except Source and 2
Holy Avatar vs. Maidens of the Dead [small](I don't know this one, are they having a free session or is it a free-to-play game?)[/small]
King's Bounty: Warriors of the North
Prototype
Psychonauts
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
Skulls of the Shogun
(edit: thanks grigjd3) Spiral Knights (free-to-play)
The Stanley Parable
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2
Total War: Shogun 2
The Typing of the Dead: Overkill
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines(Shouldn't be in this list... I played it for one minute)
Wanderlust: Rebirth
War for the Overworld(it's in beta, I'll play it when it's done... probably)
The Witcher 2
Worms
Worms Blast
Worms Crazy Golf
Worms Pinball
Worms Ultimate Mayhem
Ys 1
Ys 2
Ys Origin
Ys: The Oath in Felghana

Ok, so maybe there's a couple I bought but haven't played.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Guilty. I'm addicted to those cheap indie bundles you get on sites like Indie Gala and Humble Bundle, and the entire bundle is often cheaper than the one game you want, meaning you get a ton of fluff you're not particularly interested in.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
To be fair, a lot of my "Pile of Shame" games are games I got as part of a bundle (be it Humble Bundle or otherwise), where I was really buying one or more different games at a still-discounted price even with the excess chaff. Though yes, a good chunk of them are also games that I bought with every intention of playing, and then just never getting around to. >.>