Gears of War Movie Set During "Emergence Day"

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Gears of War Movie Set During "Emergence Day"

The producer of the Gears of War movie reveals the thinking behind setting the film 14 years before the game, during Emergence Day.

Wyck Godfrey, the producer of the Gears of War film, sat down with MakingOf [http://makingof.com/happening_now/media/gears-of-war/wyck-godfrey-reveals-gears-of-war-details/222/843] to briefly speak about the concept behind the script. He said that it felt wrong to have a frantic war-based movie where the shit had already hit the fan, and so the film is currently focusing on the 48 hours around "Emergence Day," when the Locust first began the onslaught. Gears of War is being produced by Legendary Pictures and New Line Cinema and rumored for a release in 2011.

Despite the funny name, Wyck Godfrey is the producer of many films you'd recognize including a little thing called Twilight that the kids are watching these days.

"The hard part is to make so it doesn't feel like 'a world torn asunder' and people just in battle," Godfrey said about Gears. "I think we really want to focus on the idea of a world that's running well and then [snaps] it's Emergence Day. Make it impactful and immediate and about the survival of what those 48 hours [are like]. Trying to tell the epic story of an alien planet that's living in a horrific environment feels like the wrong move right now."

It is really interesting to get a producer's view of how they think about scripts and concepts, especially for big movies like Gears of War. Besides the fact that he's talking in bullet point-speak (is impactful even a word?), getting this insight before a movie is even made is one of the boons of this internet age.

Source: MakingOf [http://makingof.com/happening_now/media/gears-of-war/wyck-godfrey-reveals-gears-of-war-details/222/843]

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Twilight ey... OH MY GOD, HE'S GOING TO HAVE THE LOCUST SPARKLE! RUN!

I do not have high hopes.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
In b4 people start bitching about Twilight!

Anyway, not a fan of the series

Edit: Ohh the irony! I fucking called it.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Let's hope they can get some shaved gorillas to act as humans.

Sprogus

The Lord of Dreams
Jan 8, 2009
Wouldn't it make more sense to have the humans fighting with themselves. Then blam Emergence day lets unite against a common foe. You know like the actual story line.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Hopefully, it'll be a bit smarter than the games, but from The Twilight Guy?

I don't hold out much hope.

NoriYuki Sato

May 26, 2009
Heppenfeph said:
Wouldn't it make more sense to have the humans fighting with themselves. Then blam Emergence day lets unite against a common foe. You know like the actual story line.
or...better idea..follow the books. he sems to like doing that anyways, and THESE books are actually good..of course mix the game story in there too, considering the writer Karen Traviss, worked with EPIC games to make the books..

*EDIT*

i'd like to see the battle at Aspho Point come into play at some time..

*EDIT*

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Waitaminute. The producer of Twilight is working on the GEARS OF WAR movie??? That's madness.

Actually, this is good thing. Besides being a piece of crap, I've heard that the Twilight movies were produced very well, so, if nothing else, we can be certain that this movie is going to have a fine producer.

[small]But God help us if this movie isn't better than Twilight...[/small]

Sprogus

The Lord of Dreams
Jan 8, 2009
NoriYuki Sato said:
Heppenfeph said:
or...better idea..follow the books. he sems to like doing that anyways, and THESE books are actually good..of course mix the game story in there too, considering the writer Karen Traviss, worked with EPIC games to make the books..

*EDIT*

i'd like to see the battle at Aspho Point come into play at some time..

*EDIT*
So the books are good huh? I'll have to get around to reading them at some point.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
HUBILUB said:

Thats if we're lucky! He'll have the locust's in highschool, get shunned by a whiny agnsty girl whilsts she's look at the guys with biceps bigger than their heads, and then Emergence day will be wholy overshadowed by an extremely poorly handled love triangle plot.

I.e...

Cherry Cola

Jun 26, 2009
pimppeter2 said:
In b4 people start bitching about Twilight!

Anyway, not a fan of the series

Edit: Ohh the irony! I fucking called it.
Delicious irony. But if they do indeed sparkle, I shall retort with a similar comment.

Cherry Cola

Jun 26, 2009
Doug said:
HUBILUB said:

Thats if we're lucky! He'll have the locust's in highschool, get shunned by a whiny agnsty girl whilsts she's look at the guys with biceps bigger than their heads, and then Emergence day will be wholy overshadowed by an extremely poorly handled love triangle plot.

I.e...
I don't think we can kill this thing... It is invincible as long as there is humans!

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Y'know, considering Emergence Day was a big event in the Gears universe and it it's been talked about as this huge, terrible occurance, it's good we're finally going to get to see it.

Sadly, let's not forget it's a video game movie and it will inevitably suck.

jad4400

Jun 12, 2008
It sounds interesting, I just hope that they are able to capture the madness of what E-Day was and the morally questionably things the COG did to survive.

The suprise of the Locust's emergence

The chaos their arrival brought and how they quickly adapted some human weapons

The frantic fighting in the cities

The divided nature between COG and the other world governments as well as the COG's divided nature (many of the COG proviences refused to unite)

The evacuation to Jacinto

A solem Chairman Prescott activating the Hammer of Dawn Network

Amarok

Dec 13, 2008
I'd be happy if they get an incredibly ripped midget to play child Marcus

SilverKyo

Apr 15, 2009
Heppenfeph said:
hypothetical fact said:
What happened to the Emulsion wars, which was the whole point of the locust leaving their caves.
Actually, the wars had recenly hit a sort of stalemate where there was some relative form of a makeshift peace going on. Tensions were still high, but there wasn't actual fighting when e-day hit. The wars were still happening when they attacked.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
HardRockSamurai said:
Waitaminute. The producer of Twilight is working on the GEARS OF WAR movie??? That's madness.

Actually, this is good thing. Besides being a piece of crap, I've heard that the Twilight movies were produced very well, so, if nothing else, we can be certain that this movie is going to have a fine producer.

[small]But God help us if this movie isn't better than Twilight...[/small]
Madness?

THIS, IS, SERA!

electric discordian

Apr 27, 2008
Yeah Producers get paid money to work on film's. If he wanted a new yacht Twilight is the boy, he may however be a keen Gears player who is doing this for the love of it!

We just see the words twilight and the knee jerk reaction happens! Give the guy a chance!