Gears of War Movie Set During "Emergence Day"

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
On Topic, Producers just bankroll the film and make executive calls. Creative decisions are up to the Director. Executives can meddle since they control the resources, but unless things get outrageous it's generally left to the director. Twilights producers mean nothing.

prinxess

Feb 28, 2009
Yes, it?s official!

Sparkly-Locusts are set to hit the screens in 2011. Actually, I am excited; I just can?t resist mocking it. D:

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
The Great JT said:
Y'know, considering Emergence Day was a big event in the Gears universe and it it's been talked about as this huge, terrible occurance, it's good we're finally going to get to see it.

Sadly, let's not forget it's a video game movie and it will inevitably suck.
Worse than that, its a video game movied directed by the Twilight guy!
HUBILUB said:
Doug said:
HUBILUB said:
Twilight ey... OH MY GOD, HE'S GOING TO HAVE THE LOCUST SPARKLE! RUN!

I do not have high hopes.
Thats if we're lucky! He'll have the locust's in highschool, get shunned by a whiny agnsty girl whilsts she's look at the guys with biceps bigger than their heads, and then Emergence day will be wholy overshadowed by an extremely poorly handled love triangle plot.

I.e...
I don't think we can kill this thing... It is invincible as long as there is humans!
Sadly, I think you maybe right. But we can still try! We need MORE FIRE!

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
NoriYuki Sato said:
Heppenfeph said:
Wouldn't it make more sense to have the humans fighting with themselves. Then blam Emergence day lets unite against a common foe. You know like the actual story line.
or...better idea..follow the books. he sems to like doing that anyways, and THESE books are actually good..of course mix the game story in there too, considering the writer Karen Traviss, worked with EPIC games to make the books..

*EDIT*

i'd like to see the battle at Aspho Point come into play at some time..

*EDIT*
Yeah, I've been meaning to get the books myself. I absolutely love the Halo books so I figured I'd start reading more game based books, and since I'm a Gears fan I was going to read those books too at some point. Like the Halo books were written with Bungie and MS Game Studios closely involved, and they turned out really good, it's a relief to hear the Gears books were written with Epic, so they'll be good too and still fit the story. Anyway, I digress. Looking at the film, if it's done right then it could be really good. That much is obvious. But setting it in the events of Emergence Day is a great idea. It means the newcomer to the franchise will manage to get some idea of what's going on without stupid scenes that explain 14 years of history that most viewers will already know. So it appeals to people who don't have prior experience of Gears Of War. But it will also appeal then to people who are already franchise fans, as it shows a new side of the game's history and expands the story they already know, giving them something new. So it's great for everyone :D.

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
I can't wait to see what will spawn from the fusion of Gears of War story and Twilight production. To a director the original story books of video games mean nothing. I am however waiting for another video game movie that is as awesome or maybe more awesome than DOOM.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
The Great JT said:
Y'know, considering Emergence Day was a big event in the Gears universe and it it's been talked about as this huge, terrible occurance, it's good we're finally going to get to see it.

Sadly, let's not forget it's a video game movie and it will inevitably suck.
True amd double true...

I wish they would make it good, I really do, but, alas we all know better than that

The3rdEye

Mar 19, 2009
I'm really not sure what makes them think that a Gears of War movie might fare any better than a Halo movie, considering both of the series contain plots just thick enough to be slightly more opaque than a glass window.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Despite the funny name, Wyck Godfrey is the producer of many films you'd recognize including a little thing called Twilight that the kids are watching these days.
Now why did you have to say that? Now people are going to dismiss this movie as crap before it's even released.

You guys need to understand something; the director did not choose to make vampires sparkle. He did not choose to make all the character unlikeable. He did not choose for the plot to be dull and boring. All of these problems existed inside the Twilight books. The director had to work with what he was given.

So can we stop making dumb jokes about Locust sparkling?

ElTigreSantiago

Apr 23, 2009
He wants to make sure that everything runs smooth and then BOOM it's Emergence Day? Um ever heard of a little thing called the Pendulem Wars? The whole reason the locust attacked on Emergence Day was because everything was not running smooth...

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
Because it is totally the producer's fault that the vampires sparkle in Twilight. The producer, who has no real creative control over what the movie is about, is to blame for a movie adaptation of a book about sparkling vampires features sparkling vampires. Yeah. I am now totally scared that this Gears of War movie is going to be exactly like Twilight because it features one crew member from the movie.
Shouldn't you be more paranoid about the director or screenplay writer?

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Agreed, I'll worry more about the director or screenplay dude fucking up the story more than this guy will.

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
Of all the video games you could make into a movie, why Gears of War? Why not Assasin's Creed, or Bioshock, or other games that have actual stories.

I mean, I'm sure it'll have a lot of epic battle scenes, but if you want that, you might as well just play the game.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Since when was this the " Whine about the twilight saga thread " Seriously. Will your whining get anywhere. "Nerd Rage forum and blogs now lag internet"

OT: It could of been worse. Not the best producer but good enough. He produced some fine movies so... at least it'll be 3 stars or more. Not the usual 2 or 1. Out of Five

Sh0ckFyre

Jun 27, 2009
Just with the director's past involvement with Twilight means this movie will automatically suck. And if this guy turns into Uwe Boll 2.0, I fucking called it.