Gears of War Movie Set During "Emergence Day"

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
Oh great. Not only does that make me doubt that this game will have anything to do with the Gears story (other then E-day and Locusts), this guy directed Twilight? What was MS thinking? All I can say is: I REALLY hope that AVGN reviews the movie. I'm waiting for the personality-free Anya, and the glittering Marcus Fenix.

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
HardRockSamurai said:
Waitaminute. The producer of Twilight is working on the GEARS OF WAR movie??? That's madness.

Actually, this is good thing. Besides being a piece of crap, I've heard that the Twilight movies were produced very well, so, if nothing else, we can be certain that this movie is going to have a fine producer.

[small]But God help us if this movie isn't better than Twilight...[/small]
NO. THAT. IS. SPARTA!
okay, in seriousness, that's not a good choice, really.
think about it, halo gets a guy from D9, and GoW gets a guy from...twilight?
IMBALANCE!

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
HUBILUB said:
Twilight ey... OH MY GOD, HE'S GOING TO HAVE THE LOCUST SPARKLE! RUN!

I do not have high hopes.
Hah, wait... In the game the ones at the end of the game glowed. Uh oh...

By the way, I have seen you around alot to day, not stalking you or anything(shifty eyes)

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
Slayer_2 said:
Oh great. Not only does that make me doubt that this game will have anything to do with the Gears story (other then E-day and Locusts), this guy directed Twilight? What was MS thinking? All I can say is: I REALLY hope that AVGN reviews the movie. I'm waiting for the personality-free Anya, and the glittering Marcus Fenix.
1) He is the producer, not the director.
2) Stephanie Meyer, the writer, not the director or anyone else involved in the movie, was responsible for making the vampires sparkle.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
2) Stephanie Meyer, the writer, not the director or anyone else involved in the movie, was responsible for making the vampires sparkle.
1) I was joking
2) It's a game to movie conversion, don't get your hopes up.

internetzealot1

Aug 11, 2009
Wait, so this guy's gonna go from directing Twilight, the girliest movie ever made, to directing Gears of War, a chainsawing, curb-stomping, testosterone fest?

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
Slayer_2 said:
1) I was joking
2) It's a game to movie conversion, don't get your hopes up.
Who said I was getting my hopes up? I don't have much faith in a Gears of War movie. I was just pointing out the factual errors in your argument.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
Who said I was getting my hopes up? I don't have much faith in a Gears of War movie. I was just pointing out the factual errors in your argument.
No one, I kind of assumed that you were defending a movie you thought might be decent. Turns out you're just bothering people for some other unknown reason.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Twilight is in his resume? Could be worse, as he could have Dragonball Evolution in his resume (which didn't exist no matter what evidence you show to me. LALALALALALALA! I CAN'T HEAR YOU! LALALALALALALA!)

Setting the movie in a time outside the game is probably a good move. Generally, movies that emulate games are most successful better when they don't take it straight from the source material (Tomb Raider and Resident Evil for example; not the best movies by far, but definately better then most game adaptations). More creative freedom, less worrying about pleasing the fans, the only catch is the fact that you have to essentially write the entire story to conform to the canon if it exists, which I don't believe is as concrete in GoW as most other IP's.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Eh, why not. It's a videogame movie, but hey, there can be exceptions to the rule. Oh, and about the producer... he is just that, a producer. He produced Twilight, he didn't write it, and from what I've seen the cinematography is pretty decent - so don't write the movie off just yet because this guy's involved.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I'm not too worried about the fact that the man produced Twilight. Who gives a crap? Spouting stuff like "Sparkly Locusts, oh noes!!!11" just makes you sound silly, and not in the good way.

What I do care about is who's directing it, since producers impact the movie in a much smaller degree than directors. Also, who's writing it, since that'll determine the level of crappyness in the dialogue.

Also, what I'm worried about is this part:

I think we really want to focus on the idea of a world that's running well and then [snaps] it's Emergence Day.
To me this impies that the first half of the movie will just be generic crappy family mush to set up the "world that's running well", basically giving us only half an actual movie. This also implies that the people in charge will need to resort to such unsubtle methods to get us to "empathize" with the characters...

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
This actually might have a bit of potential in it, imagine a story about repressed aliens living in a horrible enviroment and making you feel sorry for them and they plan to uprise, but it never mentions who it is they plan to wage war on, then on the last 10 seconds, they blow a tunnel and wage war, you see one human and then it ends. It might not sound good but it will be better than the crap that's actually going to be made.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
HardRockSamurai said:
Waitaminute. The producer of Twilight is working on the GEARS OF WAR movie??? That's madness.

Actually, this is good thing. Besides being a piece of crap, I've heard that the Twilight movies were produced very well, so, if nothing else, we can be certain that this movie is going to have a fine producer.

[small]But God help us if this movie isn't better than Twilight...[/small]
there is no way it cant be better....but then again no girls will watch it :D just like no sane guys watch Twwilight

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Trivun said:
NoriYuki Sato said:
Heppenfeph said:
Wouldn't it make more sense to have the humans fighting with themselves. Then blam Emergence day lets unite against a common foe. You know like the actual story line.
or...better idea..follow the books. he sems to like doing that anyways, and THESE books are actually good..of course mix the game story in there too, considering the writer Karen Traviss, worked with EPIC games to make the books..

*EDIT*

i'd like to see the battle at Aspho Point come into play at some time..

*EDIT*
Yeah, I've been meaning to get the books myself. I absolutely love the Halo books so I figured I'd start reading more game based books, and since I'm a Gears fan I was going to read those books too at some point. Like the Halo books were written with Bungie and MS Game Studios closely involved, and they turned out really good, it's a relief to hear the Gears books were written with Epic, so they'll be good too and still fit the story. Anyway, I digress. Looking at the film, if it's done right then it could be really good. That much is obvious. But setting it in the events of Emergence Day is a great idea. It means the newcomer to the franchise will manage to get some idea of what's going on without stupid scenes that explain 14 years of history that most viewers will already know. So it appeals to people who don't have prior experience of Gears Of War. But it will also appeal then to people who are already franchise fans, as it shows a new side of the game's history and expands the story they already know, giving them something new. So it's great for everyone :D.
I wouldn't bother... Karen Travis is an awful writer best known for dry-humping Mandalorians every chance she got, and blatantly ignoring the previous characterization of any characters she was given if she could make them love the Mandalorians too.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Windknight said:
I wouldn't bother... Karen Travis is an awful writer best known for dry-humping Mandalorians every chance she got, and blatantly ignoring the previous characterization of any characters she was given if she could make them love the Mandalorians too.
As far as I know, she's made up something else to dry-hump in the Gears books. Ordinary six foot chunks of manbeef in space armour are not good enough for her, oh no.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Sorry sounds boring already .<

Don't want to spend half the movie seeing how wonderful it 'was' before and how terrible it 'is' after. Since the GoW characters are all shallow walking muscled up monkeys with guns, id rather just see them blow shit up and chainsaw some locus. (michael bay endorsement XD)

Frantic, world torn asunder is what i want from the GoW franchise. u can sprinkle flash backs during down time to fill us in. Its call pacing, do it right and even a terrible movie will be enjoyable to watch.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Could become a decent action flick. Nothing special, but decent nonetheless, with some nice kaBOOM's. It's a smart idea to set it during Emergence Day, that's for sure though.

Thing is though, he's wrong about the world running well before Emergence Day. Humanity was already tearing itself apart for Emulsion before the Locust popped up. Actually, if I recall correctly, the fact thát humanity was battling itself over Emulsion, was the weak moment the Locust waited for.
Baron Khaine said:
So long as the Cole Train is in, and Lester Speight is playing him, I'll watch it.

Yes I think I second this.