3DS XL Will Be Nintendo's Last 3D System

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Have they removed the bricking nonsense yet? If not, go to hell, Nintendo.

Feb 22, 2009
Good. The 3D adds nothing and hurts my eyes. And having to hold the thing perfectly still to keep it 3D rather than just blurry kind of defeats the point of a portable console.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
itchcrotch said:
ResonanceSD said:
lacktheknack said:
Of course, I'm sure that the whole Nicolas Cage style "MY EEEYYYES, MYYY EYYYYYYYYYES" reaction from players didn't help much.
Zing said:
I just don't like getting a headache from playing a video game

itchcrotch said:
the fact that after a while playing it actually starts to hurt. no no, it's us.

I've never had that reaction, how close is the screen to your face?

OT: So, not supporting your flagship handheld at E3, not releasing any games that are worth a damn for it and then blaming your customers? Nice work EA, didn't see you come in.

Sarah LeBoeuf said:
but placing the blame for the handheld's lackluster performance on gamers' short attention spans isn't entirely fair.
A good point. Mind pointing out where in your source article he's quoted as saying that?
by "blaming the customers" i think he just means the whole "short attentions spam" thing.

My point is that in the source article, he doesn't actually get quoted anywhere as blaming gamers for a short attention span.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
There was only one game where the 3D was actually necessary for the gameplay and it was a first party title, so obviously it wouldn't be something gamers were interested in.

So what's next, a cheaper model 3DS without the option for 3D that can play basically every 3DS game?

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
I think I'll blame my lack of interest on the console solely on the excruciating headaches that come with 3D and the general lack of titles other than Metal Gear (which I already own three copies of on the PS2) and the currently unreleased Animal Crossing 3D and Monster Hunter 3G.
Do I think 3D should be stripped from all new systems? Yes, it'll cut down on cost, but on the other hand people do like the mechanic and I'm sure it could be used to good effect eventually so perhaps it should stay in some form, but not as the main marketing strategy.
But ultimately Nintendo needs to stop pushing hardware gimmicks and just focus on what makes their handhelds great, exclusive titles, slick gameplay (which means a second analog!) and experiences with a decidedly Japanese flavour we can't get anywhere else.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Clearing the Eye said:
xPixelatedx said:
Oh I just love seeing these posts. My grin grows ever wider.

"A gimmick! A gimmick! My kingdom for a gimmick!" Nintendo will wail, while I laugh hysterically over the smoldering wreckage of cheap plastic and novelty du jour. I'll breath deep the smokey ruins of their once great company, drawn and quartered on the closing hinges of history books lined with raped franchises and beaten horses.

"Just one more mini game collection!" They'll plead. "One more casual sports game for grandma! Spare us and we promise to only remake Super Mario and The Legend of Zelda a dozen more times!" The casuals will simply ignore the cries, uninterested in laying down a few hundred dollars for a controller to a paperweight they've forgotten they own.

Nintendo turns to those they once loved--the taken for granted mistress, bruised and ashamed from years of abuse. "Hardcore, take me back! I've changed. I promise. Look, look! See," the flailing beast begs. "Look at all these five-year-old games from the other consoles I ported just for you. Look how hardcore I am now!" The long abused spouse finally turns her back and walks into the sunset, leaving the toppled prince to die alone, forgotten and mourned by no one. A relic of its time, now condemned to memory, just as with all those before it.

*Maniacal laughter*
You know, your story (romantic as it is) would be more poignant if Nintendo weren't the most successful games company of this generation, and the only one to come out with significantly more money than when they went in. They made profits from the Wii from day 1, while Microsoft and Sony both sunk billions into their respective consoles. If you're going to worry for any company going into the next generation, worry for Sony. They've been losing so much money recently that they had to fire 10,000 staff members.

Nintendo? They had one bad year where they lost £370 million. That's a drop in the bucket compared to the billions they've taken in with the Wii and DS.

As touching as your story of domestic abuse and abandoned romance is, it kind of reads like that creepy stalker fan-fic you see Twilight fans posting on the internet. And it begs the obvious question, if hardcore gamers will only support 'proper' consoles, why did the N64 and Gamecube both wind up in last place? Can you really blame Nintendo for going casual considering that the 'love' of hardcore gamers has amounted to precisely diddly shit in previous generations?
That's the thing; the casuals all bought the Wii, played it for a week and then left it in their cupboard to die of dust. The hardcore market got kicked in the teeth over and over again, with nothing but mini-games and rehashes in the vast, vast wasteland between genuinely good releases. Now the casual market will ignore the WiiU ("I already bought a Wii and I never use it--why do I want a new controller for it?") and the hardcore crowed has no reason to get one ("Ports and one or maybe two original games? I was already bitten by the Wii once, shame on you, but twice? Ha).

It's all been leading up to this. This is the point where it finally hits the fan. Nintendo has been riding high on a market that no longer cares enough to make it a success on their own and the rest of us are just flat out sick of shitty hardware with next to no support. The WiiU will sell, I've no doubt--fuck, if Sony can vomit out shit handhelds and still sell something, this will too. But, unlike the Wii, the sales will stop quite fast and the mountainous wall of disappointment that's been groaning under the strain of shitty handhelds and zero third party support will give. The perfect storm, if you will. I guarantee it.

I'm not anti Nintendo. I liked some of their stuff. But it's damn well about time they get spanked for abusing their market. All the goodwill that got them to this point will finally have run out. The Nintendo we romanticize in our heads is gone. The facade has (or very shortly, will) slip off and they'll cop a fair slap to the face with the cavalcade of gimmicks they shoveled out year after year.

Basically, they blew it all on the way up and it's gonna be one hell of a fall.

I enjoyed writing that story, lol. As silly as it is, it made getting my opinion across more fun than just saying it ^^

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Clearing the Eye said:
I'm not anti Nintendo. I liked some of their stuff. But it's damn well about time they get spanked for abusing their market.
You're completely right.
How dare Nintendo make good games and abuse the market that way. HOW DARE THEY!!!!!

But seriously, get a job. Maybe you would have less time to hate something for no rational reason.

BTW, since when does a whole list of third party support mean "no third party support"? Did I miss something?
EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Square Enix, 5th Cell, basically every Japanese developer, many small developer, hell even Blizzard was interested in what they could do with it. And that's just a fast list that I made while editing a typing mistake.

And for the false "no games" accusations, wait until fall. Nintendo said that they will announce many new games from them and third party developer when they announce the launch date and price. No game confirmation isn't a confirmation for no games.

OT:

Thanks for giving me a warning for pointing out that the author made up the story. Misleading title, completely false information. Good job escapists. It's really noticeable that you're from the US. No censorship at all.

Smithburg

May 21, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Short attention spans?

Surrrrrrroh look a butterfly.

Of course, I'm sure that the whole Nicolas Cage style "MY EEEYYYES, MYYY EYYYYYYYYYES" reaction from players didn't help much.
DAMNIT! I was drinking when I read the "MY EYES" part and starting cracking up, making me spew my drink all over DX

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
BiH-Kira said:
But seriously, get a job. Maybe you would have less time to hate something for no rational reason.
Phnar, phnar. I'd read more of your funny post, but I'm busy rolling around in my money.

BiH-Kira said:
Thanks for giving me a warning for pointing out that the author made up the story. Misleading title, completely false information. Good job escapists. It's really noticeable that you're from the US. No censorship at all.
Censorship doesn't mean what you think it means ;D

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Except that numerous third-parties have already said they're going to support the Wii U. A quick list off the tip of my head includes: EA, Ubisoft, Activision, Capcom, Tecmo and THQ are all working on games for the system's launch, or soon after. Ubisoft alone has got eight Wii U titles in the works, according to Google...
Bahahaha. This is the point where I couldn't hold the laughter in any more. Nintendo, third party? Yeah, okay. Sure. Mhm. Just like all those amazing third party Wii games. What was there, a whole ten of them? Not like the entire industry has said over and over again how much of a ***** trying to work with Nintendo is. Oh the mirth. The mirth is too much.

My sadistic side is fucking brimming with anticipation for this to blow up so I can do my I-Told-You-So dance. Release month is going to be so fucking brilliant ^___^

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
What a surprise?

3D has failed to stick like clockwork every 30 years or so. A handheld whose main improvement over its predecessor is a 3D gimmick which you not only have to keep stationary but can cause permanent vision damage to kids under 7. Isn't that supposed to be your target audience?

And why isn't there a second analog stick on the damned thing?

Good riddance to 3D till 2040.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Little needs to be said about how stupid they are for saying it's our fault. But, I will admit, I enjoy having the 3D. They said it adds depth, and it does. It doesn't add anything else other than a better ability to gauge distance and your position with everything else. It fleshes out the game better, and I like that. But that's all it's good for. Basing your system on that gimmick alone was a bad idea.

Short version: Bad
Long version: Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

Edit: I seem to be completely invulnerable to the so called "headaches and eye strain", so that probably makes me feel more confident in what I just said about it being good for the feel of the game. But if others are having so much trouble with it, then... yeah, not good at all.

4thhokage528

Jul 12, 2012
the 3d is neeeds alot of improvment a small movement causes the screen to show a weird dual image blur u need to hold it at a certain angle for it to take effect they need to improve if they want it to be more than a gimic