3DS XL Will Be Nintendo's Last 3D System

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
3DS XL Will Be Nintendo's Last 3D System

Satoru Iwata blames gamers' short attention spans for the lack of interest in 3D visuals.

Nintendo impressed the audience when showing off the 3DS at E3 2010, but the performance of the handheld since its March 2011 launch has been underwhelming. Nintendo cut the price dramatically within months, and while the system has had some stellar titles, they have been few and far between. Nintendo President Satoru Iwata acknowledged this in a recent interview, stating that the publisher wouldn't pursue 3D as a key feature of any system in the future.

Iwata was supportive of the handheld's visuals in the interview, calling 3D "an important element" and saying "it makes graphics more impactful, it proves a sense of immersion that 2D doesn't have, so I would say generally that 3D is better than 2D." He went on to explain that while the 3DS launched during a "3D boom," the trend has become less of a priority for gamers, for whom the novelty of such effects quickly wears off.

The publisher may not be done with 3D forever, though. Three-dimensional graphics may still show up as a "minor element" in future Nintendo systems, according to Iwata. "In terms of videogames, 3D has been a topic for a long time, I don't know if you remember the Virtual Boy?" Yes, but I think we would all rather forget.

He makes a good point about 3D being a fading novelty, but placing the blame for the handheld's lackluster performance on gamers' short attention spans isn't entirely fair. The publisher dedicated almost no time to the 3DS in its recent E3 press conference, the first-party titles have been few and far between, and those of us who picked up the system on launch day are still waiting on release dates for games that were announced over a year ago. (Animal Crossing, where are you?) Hopefully the handheld will gain steam with the scheduled releases of the 3DS XL, New Super Mario Bros. 2, and Paper Mario: Sticker Star before the year is out.

Source: CVG [http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/gaming/satoru-iwata-i-was-convinced-the-wii-wouldnt-be-nintendos-last-console-it-was-so-unique-7936301.html]

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Short attention spans?

Surrrrrrroh look a butterfly.

Of course, I'm sure that the whole Nicolas Cage style "MY EEEYYYES, MYYY EYYYYYYYYYES" reaction from players didn't help much.

Suicidejim

Jul 1, 2011
I don't really mind the whole 3D thing, but I generally play most games with it turned off. I tend to move my 3DS while I play games, and I've fallen at so many critical points due to the screen momentarily become a messy dual-image blur that the minor novelty just isn't worth it.

However, that's a minor complaint compared to the lack of good titles for the 3DS. Of all the games I've bought for it so far, the best ones have been remakes of older titles (Zelda, Devil Survivor, Snake Eater). I've yet to play a game on 3DS that has made me truly grateful to own said console, although I'm hoping the new Kingdom Hearts might change all that.

RaikuFA said:
Still getting Soul Hackers and SMT4.
Waitwaitwaitwaitwait. New SMT?

Okay. This changes things.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
What is he talking about? It's been really successful since the price drop. People just didn't wanna spend $250 on a handheld.

P.S. Thanks

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
Damn, I was really hoping for a Virtual boy 2. Oh well, maybe its for the best. The 3D on the 3DS wasn't bad, but I didn't really add anything to any of the games imo.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Oh so it's actually our fault? It has nothing to do with 3D being a stupid fad that gives people headaches, or the fact that it's really restrictive on the 3DS at all does it?

I seriously don't get how Nintendo can be this out of touch with its consumers.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Lol , missleading titles ... thought ( didnt believe ) Nintendo were saying they werent going to make any more versions of the 3DS ( in response to players a waiting for the 3DSxlLiteZERO verion ).

... as for the topic, well its not like 3D wasnt in any game prior to the 3DS, there was some glasses only 3D games way back, and it was nowt bar a silly gimmick then.
If your going to go 3D you will need to develop holographic projection technology , not tricks with smoke and mirrors and very steady hands and heads.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Iwata was supportive of the handheld's visuals in the interview, calling 3D "an important element" and saying "it makes graphics more impactful, it proves a sense of immersion that 2D doesn't have,"
If impactful and immersion are now synonyms for eye strain and headaches then I'd say he's bang on.

But seriously, it's not short attention spans that are making people lose interest in 3D; it's the realization that it offers no appreciable benefit to gameplay. Certainly not enough of one to make developers willing to shun the large portion of the population that can't even use this technology anyway.

It's a gimmick and a rather stupid one at that, and a lot of consumers are either figuring that out now or knew all along.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
Hazy992 said:
Oh so it's actually our fault? It has nothing to do with 3D being a stupid fad that gives people headaches, or the fact that it's really restrictive on the 3DS at all does it?

I seriously don't get how Nintendo can be this out of touch with its consumers.
I am fucking giddy with anticipation for the fantastic, disastrous failure of the WiiU. I can't wait for the general public to finally stop letting Nintendo make bank on shit. I will be grinning from ear to ear when their stock hits the ground, I tell ya. Ear to fucking ear.

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
I like the 3D. It's a nice feature that doesn't hold development back, as the 3D effect is simple to implement. Once again I think Nintendo is failing to realize that it isn't the console, it is the lack of titles that hurts their market. Where was the Mario game at the release of the 3DS? Months behind. A best selling 1st-party game for your own console not there.

Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing should have been ready for the 3DS, backed up by plenty of 3rd-party games. They didn't again and it cost them.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Paya Chin said:
lacktheknack said:
Short attention spans?

Surrrrrrroh look a butterfly.

Of course, I'm sure that the whole Nicolas Cage style "MY EEEYYYES, MYYY EYYYYYYYYYES" reaction from players didn't help much.
LEAVE NICKOLAS KAGE ALONE!!! *crys*
Nicolas Cage is my favorite actor...

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
If they expected gamers to buy the 3DS just because it plays games in 3D that is a silly assumption and VERY poor business. A lot of the games for the 3DS are games I've already purchased years ago and I'm not about to go out and purchase a game I already own just because, "OMG! High Definition and 3D!" That's not poor attention span that's logical money managing from the sane consumer.

I bought the 3DS on launch day because I'm a Resident Evil fanatic and was just dying to get Resident Evil: Mercenaries 3D and Resident Evil: Revelations. I'm sure there are many other consumers like me that buy consoles for the games, not because of silly gimmicks. I haven't purchased *any* other games for my 3DS because it's all games I own! Maybe Nintendo should hurry up and release the highly anticipated games like Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Fire Emblem: Awakening, and Animal Crossing 3DS. Maybe, when they finally release unique games the purchases for the Gameboy 3DS will increase.

It's almost insulting that Nintendo believes we'll buy a console just so we can re-purchase games we already own because of their silly 3D gimmick and High Definition.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
It's taking two true statements and trying to link them together.
Yes, gamers have no attention span.
Yes, gamers didn't like the 3D.
But that doesn't mean the two things are related.

That being said, the 3DS has a decent library at this point, it's got good enough hardware to continue its existence and the 3D is optional so it doesn't need to be used like the Wii's controls, and the eShop is slowly but surely becoming better and better. I'm more than happy for the 3DS to just be the system that has Nintendo handling online better and have more powerful handheld titles as opposed to being the system that made 3D gaming mainstream.

Hopefully now with the "Focus on 3D!" out of their system, they can work more on Nintendo Network before the WiiU comes up.

Also: Where exactly did he blame the lack of sales on short attention spans? Hell, where did he relate sales and attention spans at all?