400 Unqualified Schmucks Sign Up For One-Way Mission to Mars

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
Sparrow said:
This is the last thing we need: Mars, completely populated of people who are only American. Atleast send some Canadians up or something, mix it up a little.
Manifest Destiny.. if you guys won't let us take over the rest of Canada and South America, we're going to space.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
How can you be unqualified for a suicide mission, one which doesn't real have any real goal other than living there.

Sparrow said:
This is the last thing we need: Mars, completely populated of people who are only American. Atleast send some Canadians up or something, mix it up a little.
Nationality wouldn't matter at all as it would be a private colony. Which is significantly more frightening than a country doing it.

spartan1077

Aug 24, 2010
So people who actually have skills are going to be foolish and kill themselves by flying to mars?
*sighs*
Maybe they weren't so useful after all.

Bek359

Feb 23, 2010
Wow. It's like Stargate Universe, except in real life, and the people have nobody but themselves to blame for being stuck there for the rest of their lives.

Gamegeneral

Dec 3, 2008
Check the list.
See if you can find Alex Mason on there.
I mean, either him or Parker.
Ooh! And the Brave Little Toaster!

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Please Gods tell me you'll take Sarah Palin and Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid and Mike Huckabee too

Please?

agentironman

Sep 22, 2009
I would rather see them colonize the moon first and create/perfect the technology and then branch out. I would think a safety net would be ideal before going for the ultimate prize. But what do I know I think rationally.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
This could be a good idea. We need some people to generate warning labels for mars. There has to be a first person to stub a toe on mars. As well there has to be a 1st drunken hillbilly rolling all the way down Olympus Mons busting his spacesuit in the process. I really hope it doesn't take 20 years to get this mission off the ground though.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Totally unqualified people, banding together for a likely suicide mission.

This is quite possibly the stupidest thing I've read all day.
Isn't that like the plot of half of the movies and books out there? Random people getting caught in a unpredictable and dangerous situation for which they are completely unqualified to handle, banding together to face seemingly overwhelming odds? I mean hey, if it works in fiction, it is bound to work sometimes in real life as well, right? :p

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Well, I'd hate it, but they can do what they please. I'll wait until I'm over 40 and they've got some substantial colonies and tourism thingies around there... although I might as well just go to the moon one, that'll be alot better by then.

I'm actually kinda pissed I was born now and now 50 or so years ahead... but then I wouldn't have found all my favourite bands or games... and I wouldn't've (is that a word?) seen all the progress people have made and are going to make with the whole space exploration doohickey... big questions. Meh.

Antari said:
This could be a good idea. We need some people to generate warning labels for mars. There has to be a first person to stub a toe on mars. As well there has to be a 1st drunken hillbilly rolling all the way down Olympus Mons busting his spacesuit in the process. I really hope it doesn't take 20 years to get this mission off the ground though.
Yeah, by that time the 69-year-old guy could very well be dead and they'd need a replacement xD

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
Hilarious how many people acting all smart in this thread are also acting like this is actually going to happen. Way to go guys!

Honestly though? I'd totally sign on for this trip if it had any chance of happening. Fuck that safety and comfort bullshit, I'd give up my life to do something that epically awesome. I'd even live the rest of my miserable life in a tiny corridor with 400 people. We're talking about living on Mars here! How awesome would it be to be one of the very first people living on another planet? Does anybody think humanity got to where we are now by sitting around waiting for thing to be easy before we ever even tried them? HA!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Totally unqualified people, banding together for a likely suicide mission.

This is quite possibly the stupidest thing I've read all day.

And I spent 20 minutes on fanfiction.net earlier.
But on the flip side, it may have the same practical application as the "B Ark."

...Assuming we don't die from a dirty telephone disease.

It's so ridiculous, it's almost awe inspiring.

JackKrauserFtw

May 21, 2008
hmmm, bringing a chaplain to keep people sane. its like making a blind guy the navigator. I would have thought it would have been more productive to bring a fucking psychologist.

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
That Methodist Priest os going to convert all the people on the ship, soon we'll have an enitre Martian colony filled with Methodists...

THEIR PLAN FOR DOMINATION OF THE GALAXY IS ONE STEP CLOSER!

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
vrbtny said:
Samurai Goomba said:
vrbtny said:
Sparrow said:
What about the British? We could bring our weather.... actually, scratch that.

No!! Bring the British, we know how to make a good cup of tea!!!
Bah, I've been making good tea my whole life, and I'm American!

(grumble grumble... British, think nobody else can make tea... mumble... )
I didn't say that you couldn't make tea.... the english just make it better.

[small]we've had more practice after all[/small]
Well, we Americans have had more practice throwing your fancy teas into the ocean!

TO ARMS! TO ARMS! Fellow Colonists, the time has come to rise up and overthrow the tea tyrants once more! No longer shall we be slaves to their arguably superior tea brands! We shall win! FOR COFFEE!

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
Programmed_For_Damage said:
Samurai Goomba said:
emeraldrafael said:
Still... I kinda like the idea, though I think we should just stick menaces to society and people that cause the world's culture to go through retardation [on the ship].
Bad move, unless you want to create MARS AUSTRALIA!

Note for any mods: (Before you assume I'm insulting Australians, it's their history. Just stating that outright here before I get modded or some nonsense.)
Hey! We've done pretty good considering our origins thank you very much. The whole convict thing is blown out of proportion. People would get deported for stealing loaves of bread, it's not like they were all sociopaths and thugs for hire. That and the majority of land owners / settlers were free men.
Hey, I think we can all agree a Space Kangaroo would be pretty awesome. I can already see a Futurama episode about "throwing another space shrimp on the barby."

I just find it funny people are talking about sending convicts into exile somewhere, when we have historical examples of successful colonization which has arisen from that.

Crazie_Guy

Mar 8, 2009
Did everyone miss the point that it's a colonization mission? The plan isn't to send them there to sit around, staring into the white martian sky and picking their noses until they die. Colonization means they are there to build infrastructure. Yea, they won't be coming back, but they'll be laying the foundation of civilization there, to be followed presumably by more colonists. Believe it or not, you can't just plop down entire cities and call it a new colony. It takes work, several generations of work, and you have to start somewhere. And while those people may be under qualified specifically for space flight, the process of building a new world of towns and roads takes many skillsets.

hansari

May 31, 2009
ae86gamer said:
Let them go. Maybe something cool will happen, like maybe they'll all get sick with some sort of alien virus and turn into hideous monsters.

[small]*I've been playing a lot Dead Space[/small]
Pandorum!!!