Fallout: New Vegas Boasts Hardcore Mode

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Fallout: New Vegas Boasts Hardcore Mode

Some details regarding Fallout: New Vegas [http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-New-Vegas-Xbox-360/dp/B0028IBTL6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279567989&sr=1-2] came out over the weekend including information about an optional Hardcore Mode, which will track things like the weight of ammo and your thirst level.

Fallout: New Vegas is due out this fall, but information on the game has been relatively sparse until now. Designed by some of the people who worked on the first 2 Fallouts, FNV is set in the wastelands of the Mojave desert. The City of Las Vegas was relatively unscathed by nuclear bombs, and there are more buildings intact and vegetation alive as a result. In FNV, you don't play as a vault owner, but you receive a Pip-Boy from someone who was. The story of the game focuses on the conflict between the New California Republic, the Caesar's Legion (a group of slavers based on the Vegas Strip), and the residents of New Vegas, with a reputation system to sort it all out. FNV uses the same engine as Bethesda's Fallout 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-3-Xbox-360/dp/B000UU3SVI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279568021&sr=1-2], but it is not a sequel, just another game set in the same universe.

The Hardcore Mode is optional, but allows for a more intense game experience. Combat is more difficult in this mode, and stimpacks heal over time instead of instantly. The ammo you carry has weight and can affect your performance, and you can die of dehydration, so its important to carry a well-filled canteen.

Josh Sawyer, the lead designer on the project, responded to questions about hardcore mode on the Bethesda forums. "It's true that a lot of people have modded in those features [in Fallout 3]," he said. "A lot of the things in Hardcore mode are also things that I personally wanted to play the game with. I realize not everyone does, but it's the only way I play it."

Skills have an effect on what conversation options are available to your character. Being skilled in Demolitions, for example, will allow you to talk about explosives in more detail. Again, Josh Sawyer chimed in on the forums:

This is how it works. Each skill-based dialogue option has two different texts: one for high skill (which will result in success) and one for low skill (which will result in failure). If you do not meet the required threshold, you see the latter.

There are a few reasons for including this:

* In the same way that a locked safe beyond your Lockpicking skill indicates, it lets the player know that there's an option here.
* Some of the NPC responses to low skill checks can be pretty entertaining.

It definitely appears that the dark humor the series is known for is intact. Melee weapons each have their own special attack in FMV. The special attack for one such weapon, a golf club, is called "Fore!" which whacks your enemy in the balls.

Funny, that.

Source: Duck and Cover [http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23694]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I don't want to drink water...

As long as no achievements are linked to it, I'm cool.

SERIOUSLY! DON'T LINK HARDCORE TO ANY ACHIEVEMENTS!

you know what'd be really HARDCORE? Getting rid of "Save Anywhere". This way you can't just save before every battle, and replay it if you end up in a bad situation.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
That's kinda awesome, I actually wanted something like this too. It kind of ruined the immersion of Fallout 3 for me to think that I would be able to wander around the hot, dry wasteland forever, only needing water if I ran out of stimpaks, and every other healing item (something that never happened)

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
As long as I don't have to do these things then that's fine, maybe I'll give it a shot and see if I enjoy it.

Also, is this game going to be on consoles as well as PCs, or just one or the other?

Arrers

Mar 4, 2009
I remeber hearing about modders who did similar things to Fallout 3.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Must resist urge to play game using only the golf club's special attack against everything...

Seriously though, that sounds awesome - punching rats in the groin was something I missed in Fallout 3, heh.

Omikron009

May 22, 2009
That is the coolest thing I've ever heard. It sounds soul crushingly difficult, but I'm game. Fallout is the best.

Aerodynamic

Feb 23, 2009
Yes, they are going to bring back the "I don't give a fuck about the player" difficulty from fallout 1/2.

jad4400

Jun 12, 2008
Sweeet, I loved Fallout 3, but felt that it was a tad too easy. This sounds very promising.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Just for that whole "whack 'em the balls move", I'm getting this.

Might even try the hardcore mode. Probably fail miserably, but I'll try, goddamit.

GreyFox389

Oct 19, 2009
Yessss.

I always thought Fallout needed more of a "pick your battles" vibe, rather than the "I can just keep shooting and I'll win" thing they had going.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
The three page spread in Game Informer should be greeted with joy by all who aren't hate filled failboys who are never happy. Obsidian is taking what made Fallout 3 successful and adding Original Fallout Juice with a splash of Hardcore Survival Mode to make everyone happier.

Daggermonkie

Sep 15, 2009
Did the dehydration come from FO 1 and 2? I sometimes got a message that said i coudn't find enough water so i lost 2 or 3 hitpoints.Anyway if this game is as hard as the first 2 were in the fact you can die in 1 hit im game

Jul 19, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
Just for that whole "whack 'em the balls move", I'm getting this.
That might just be for the golf club weapon.

Speaking of odd BioShock similarities, anybody else want to gore a supermutant with a Drone Cannon from Mothershp Zeta?

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I heard if we sacrifice someone to the volcano god, everyone gets Fallout: New Vegas. Quick, someone call Michael Atkinson! I got a job for him!

Also:
Greg Tito said:
The special attack for one such weapon, a golf club, is called "Fore!" which whacks your enemy in the balls.
I approve of this.

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
gee as long as they let you create a auto lock pick tool i'm really looking forward to fallout nv...

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I'm really stoked for this, I'm just hoping it doesn't get to be somewhat of an annoyance. I can picture a sudden pop up from the game telling you that your character is thirsty in the middle of combat.
I really hope this works out well because Fallout 3 became a bit easy even in the hardest mode (at least for my stealthy sniper) that eventually I only carried like 5 stimpacks,armor,a sniper rifle, and just maxed out my possible ammo carried.
Also, I'm really glad melee weapons will get unique attacks, they were sort of lame/ one dimentional in F3, hopefully they can be aimed in v.a.t.s this time too.

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
I don't want to drink water...

As long as no achievements are linked to it, I'm cool.

SERIOUSLY! DON'T LINK HARDCORE TO ANY ACHIEVEMENTS!

I agree. I may try Hardcore if I get this game, but I definitely don't want to HAVE to do it to get 1000 gamerscore. Not saying I would anyway.