StarCraft II Beta Will Start This Month

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
StarCraft II Beta Will Start This Month

In today's Activision-Blizzard earnings conference call, Blizzard big boss Mike Morhaime confirmed that the long-awaited StarCraft II [http://www.amazon.com/Starcraft-II-Wings-Liberty-Pc/dp/B000ZKA0J6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278964580&sr=1-1] beta would start before the end of February.

It's real, people: In a financial conference call recapping Activision-Blizzard's 2009 performance and looking forward to 2010, Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaime announced that the StarCraft II beta test would begin this month around the world. And by "worldwide," Morhaime meant that the beta will be available in North America, Europe, Taiwan, Australia, New Zealand, and - of course - South Korea.

Morhaime stressed that the upcoming long-awaited beta test would be instrumental in allowing players not just to test and offer feedback on the highly-anticipated RTS title, but to do the same for the revamped Battle.net 2.0 - "the home of all Blizzard games going forward."

This marks the final stretch for StarCraft II, said Morhaime, which he claimed was still on track for a mid-summer 2010 release.

I have only one thing to say to this:

Stay tuned for more news from the Acti-Blizz conference call on franchises like Blizzard's World of Warcraft (with Cataclysm scheduled for 2010) and Diablo III, and Activision's Guitar Hero and Call of Duty.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Im sorry but this is going to go horribly wrong, Blizzard time is different to our mortal time.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
So they're finally going to release it? It's been on the verge of release since 2007 or so when it was announced...

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
L33tsauce_Marty said:
How do you think you can sign up for this?
Create a battle.net account online. Go to "beta profile settings" and sign up for the Starcraft Beta. Then scan and upload your computer specs (using the provided program). I've already got the following logo on my home page, hopefully that means I'll be getting info soon.

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
Avaholic03 said:
L33tsauce_Marty said:
Create a battle.net account online. Go to "beta profile settings" and sign up for the Starcraft Beta. Then scan and upload your computer specs (using the provided program). I've already got the following logo on my home page, hopefully that means I'll be getting info soon.

That's just showing off which beta will be next. Everyone got it. :p

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
redmarine said:
Avaholic03 said:
L33tsauce_Marty said:

That's just showing off which beta will be next. Everyone got it. :p
Darn, and i thought i was special too.

Aenir

Mar 26, 2009
They already sent emails to everyone who got in, they said it via the twitter account.

Also, HALLELUJAH! (Even though I didn't get in.)

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Aenir said:
They already sent emails to everyone who got in, they said it via the twitter account.

Also, HALLELUJAH! (Even though I didn't get in.)
That's not true. I'm following their Twitter and I've seen nothing of the sort.

L33tsauce_Marty

Jun 26, 2008
Avaholic03 said:
L33tsauce_Marty said:

Excellent, now I need to beat the shit out of my friend for my old WoW account. Excuse me gentlemen...

carpenteria

Master Draftsman
Mar 27, 2008
THANK FUNK, AT LAST!
(Pun kinda intended)

I think I'd pretty much given up hope we'd ever see even the beta. Though as someone mentioned earlier this is Blizzard. Wouldn't be suprised if there were delays.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
Nice, I've signed up. I wonder how many people they will be admitting into the beta. Ah well, as long as I get picked, no heads will have to roll.

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
L33tsauce_Marty said:
Avaholic03 said:
L33tsauce_Marty said:

Excellent, now I need to beat the shit out of my friend for my old WoW account. Excuse me gentlemen...
Read my post just underneath his.

oneplus999

Oct 4, 2007
I was following the twitter account a while when it first started and completed one of their "contests" to get a key. That was in September. I got an email in October saying that I was in the database. I haven't heard anything since, but these appear to have been legitimate communications.

I wouldn't rely on simply having checked the box for being willing to participate in betas on your battle.net account. That's likely going to be a crapshoot, since there are probably way more people with that box checked than they actually want for the beta. The best I can figure is that you should follow their twitter and watch for news at places like Escapist for ways to get in.

thenoblegaunt

Jan 16, 2010
(Takes Deep Breath)

WOOOOOOOO! WOOOHOOHOOHOOOHOOO! YEAAAAAA! WOOOOOO! YAAAAAA! WOOOOOO! WOOOOOOOO! WOOHOHOOH! YEAAAAAA!

(calms down)
Well it's about time.

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
Ah Starcraft 2, how can you possibly live up to this much hype? I have a feeling that all these "quality" delays will only fuel the eventual fanboy disappointment rage.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
That is fantastic news! Maybe this means that Blizzard is almost finished with it, yes?

Call me when the Diablo III beta starts.