Only 30 Percent of WoW Players Get Past Level 10

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Only 30 Percent of WoW Players Get Past Level 10

Only 30 percent of new World of Warcraft [http://www.amazon.com/World-Warcraft-Pc/dp/B000067FDW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278969746&sr=1-3] players ever make it past level ten, according to Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaime, who also revealed an even more chilling statistic: The game has stopped growing.

MMOGs are the kind of game you play for either a very short time or a very long time. Gamers who become sufficiently immersed in one online game or another can spend literally years playing them and, more importantly, faithfully paying their monthly bill. The trick is getting people over that initial hump, which as it turns out can be a tough sell even for the mighty World of Warcraft juggernaut.

"Our research shows that trial players who play World of Warcraft past level ten are much more likely to stick with the game for a long time," Morhaime said during Activision Blizzard's [http://www.activisionblizzard.com/] year-end financial call. "Currently, only about 30 percent of our trial players make it past this threshold. So anything we can do to improve the new player experience is a huge opportunity for us."

"With Cataclysm [http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/cataclysm/] we will be overhauling the early gaming experience for players, bringing all of the content in World of Warcraft up to our current design standards and ensuring that even new players to the game will experience the best work of our development team," he continued. "This will also provide additional replay ability for our veterans players as well. In the long run, we hope that this effort will capture more players and drive continued growth."

I have no idea how the average MMOG performs in this regard but a 30 percent rate of retention seems pretty low to me. Even more shocking, however, was news from the Wrath of the Lich King [http://www.blizzard.com] has not yet been released, currently makes up about half of the World of Warcraft subscriber base and represents a tremendous opportunity for future growth.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
But...level 10 takes like three hours to get to. If that. That's probably slow actually.

Jeebus ;/

Cataclysm will give them a jump in numbers. Completely revitalising the Azeroth will likely bring back old customers *coughlikemecough* as well.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Still a healthy number of players to be sure.

It would be intresting to see those numbes put up against other MMO's though so a real comparison could be drawn.

Other than that, good on Blizzard I suppose for the honesty

Premonition

Jan 25, 2010
I'm sorry, but that's just hilarious. If they can't get folks passed level ten, they're doing something wrong. Dreadfully wrong.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
While a 30 percent rate of retention may seem low, keep in mind these are for the trial accounts... the accounts that are not necessarily considered active, as they are not subscribed. If you think about it... 11.5 million accounts, and those only being roughly 30 percent of those who have given it a shot... That's still incredibly impressive, and in my opinion, makes it even more so.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Amnestic said:
But...level 10 takes like three hours to get to. If that. That's probably slow actually.
The game is just boring. I tried giving it a shot 3 times already, the longest I could handle the game was 3 hours, got to level... 13 or 14, didn't bother to play anymore.
Cataclysm will give them a jump in numbers. Completely revitalising the Azeroth will likely bring back old customers *coughlikemecough* as well.
Well, the point is - what stops growing, will eventually die. If they can't get new players, and they lose old ones... and it goes without saying that WoW might finally crumble under its own weight.

uppitycracker said:
While a 30 percent rate of retention may seem low, keep in mind these are for the trial accounts... the accounts that are not necessarily considered active, as they are not subscribed. If you think about it... 11.5 million accounts, and those only being roughly 30 percent of those who have given it a shot... That's still incredibly impressive, and in my opinion, makes it even more so.
Do I have to use a hammer to get it inside of people's head that WoW doesn't have 11,5 million accounts anymore? Not since they closed the Chinese servers?

There are more or less 6 millions of players in WoW.

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
Stupid Chinese government and it's restrictions of Wrath of the Lich King.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
Well 11.5mil players hooked up on the game is huge enough...noone has ever come close yet.
I guess all warcraft fans are already in WoW. And all other mmo lovers too. So the new generation is looking for something fresh i guess...i know alot of ppl who can scrap a game for just its bad looks...and as epic as wow is....its graphics are getting old.
But wow will go strong for a long time....and....wrath is not even released in china???? That is huge...the moment wrath gets released there blizz will start getting BD cakes everyday....just the money from all those ppl buying the expansion...n then the subscritions...
puh i dont think we should worry about Blizz.
And with SC 2 and D3 on the way there is plenty market bites in the future of blizz.
Not to mention they are already working on a new MMO.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
It's a fundamental problem that they still haven't fixed. They originally made the game top-heavy so that players would want to stick around until the end. The game is still top-heavy and moreso than ever and the gap between the beginning and the end is intimidatingly huge. So you either have been on the forefront for a while, or you're just starting and have a crapload of nothing between you and level 80.

To make matters even worse, due to certain design decisions, their retention rate of those top-end hardcore players has been really bad for the current expansion.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
This is for Trial accounts. Basically demo players. If 1,000 people download the trial, and 300 buy the full game, that's not that bad given that Blizzard didn't lose anything in giving them the trial.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Blimey, the behemoth has actually halted? Well, I'm guessing Cataclysm will change all that...

I don't play WoW, but I'm pretty sure Blizzard know what they're doing.

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
Cataclysm won't bring new players in mostly, I think it'll mainly bring back players who had got bored and gone away. They are basically reaching the saturation point where everyone even vaguely interested in trying it already has, and decided to leave or stick around accordingly.

Hard to see what they can do after Cataclysm to keep people interested, I would say "WoW in Spaaaaaaaaace" but they kinda already did that with Outland.

Baron Khaine

Jun 24, 2009
It may seem low, but i'd like to see numbers on how many other games keep players on there trial after the same Threshold.

The only other MMO I can think of that has been around as long as WoW and is still growing is EVE, which will have nowhere near 30%, though it kinda doesn't work on the leveling system, but I doubt 30% of trials get picked up, what with the notorious learning curve.

GeekFury

Aug 20, 2009
Most people on the server I'm on get to level 80 then give up when they relise that getting into a raid group requires you to either raid 24/7 or know someone in there and because all the raid groups/guilds are mainly closed off 'Old Boys' clubs it's not really possiable, since leaving my old guild over the fact I got bored of their 'LOLHARDCORERAIDINGBBQSAUCE!' attatude I'm saying good bye to WoW at teh end of my sub.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, well honestly I still think Blizzard should stop while they are ahead rather than milking this for everything it's worth. The game is aging, and despite being something of an addict myself I'd rather see an epic send off, and then developing a new MMORPG, so maybe some day a new "WoW 2" can be released that won't have veterans vomiting due to the way the original was squeezed.

Such have been my thoughts since the release of Cataclysm. Arthas pretty much ends the intended storyline, that's a good place to stop. I'm not sure if I especially like the idea of the Cataclysm in general, and I figure if they are re-doing the entire starting areas and such it would have been better to simply develop a new MMORPG from scratch with newer technology and their current design standards.

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
I think one problem WoW has now is the high cost of entry. Buying the game and both expansions will run you ~$80, and that'll probably jump to $120 when Cataclysm comes out (unless, of course, they release a cheaper bundle, which would be a wise move on their part).

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Abedeus said:
Do I have to use a hammer to get it inside of people's head that WoW doesn't have 11,5 million accounts anymore? Not since they closed the Chinese servers?
Didn't stop STARS from playing.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Abedeus said:
uppitycracker said:

There are more or less 6 millions of players in WoW.
Read the OP. Morhaime said the game still has 11.5 million. The game is facing troubles in China, but Morhaime confirmed it was still operational.

Re: The 30% statistic... I'm honestly surprised, though it IS just Trial accounts. But WoW is probably the most newbie-friendly MMOG on the market (short of games like FreeRealms), so I'd be curious to see how these numbers hold up against other MMOGs.

Not to mention that Rob Pardo said that the game's TOTAL lifetime subscribers were two to three times the current subscriber base, so that's 22-33 million not counting Trial accounts. The game's certainly not immune to churn.

What I wouldn't give to take a plain look at Blizzard's balance sheets. There'd be so much interesting information there.