Only 30 Percent of WoW Players Get Past Level 10

Rahnzan

Oct 13, 2008
Chilling? This is the sort of thing that keeps people up at night?

Faith in humanity, dwindling every day...yup. It's a game.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Hopeless Bastard said:
Sev said:
I'm sorry, but that's just hilarious. If they can't get folks passed level ten, they're doing something wrong. Dreadfully wrong.
Misinterpretation.

It only takes most people ten minutes to figure out they don't like mmorpgs.
Really? You spend 10 minutes on a game and then decide whether you do or you don't like it?

WafflesToo

Sep 19, 2007
Proteus214 said:
It's a fundamental problem that they still haven't fixed. They originally made the game top-heavy so that players would want to stick around until the end. The game is still top-heavy and moreso than ever and the gap between the beginning and the end is intimidatingly huge. So you either have been on the forefront for a while, or you're just starting and have a crapload of nothing between you and level 80.

To make matters even worse, due to certain design decisions, their retention rate of those top-end hardcore players has been really bad for the current expansion.
The exact point I was going to make.

I made it to 60, ran MC and all the other instances, got bored and left. The first major expansion came along and my friends convinced me to come back, problem was everyone had left me in the dust already (lol) so it was a grind to get to 70 so I could "play the game again". Trying to get groups together to run instances was a pain, I think I made it to 67 before quitting again. I can only imagine the uphill climb it is to get from 1 to 80, and with all of the low level content abandoned... No way in hell would I subject myself to that again.

Cataclysm should fix things for a short while, but you'll still have the problem of all of the low-end areas becoming ghost towns a few months after launch.

Premonition

Jan 25, 2010
Hopeless Bastard said:
Sev said:
I'm sorry, but that's just hilarious. If they can't get folks passed level ten, they're doing something wrong. Dreadfully wrong.
Misinterpretation.

It only takes most people ten minutes to figure out they don't like mmorpgs.
Yah, there are people like that. Though their numbers in WoW are presumably low, considering the cost for WoW can be through the roof. Download space for patches can run in to gigabytes, a subscription fee is 26 bucks for two months which is a whole hell of a lot if you're not even sure you'll like the game and the game itself can still cost oodles of money.
Then there's the free trial folk. There are indeed people that go on to see if they'll like it, but they definitely aren't the majority.
Plus, I suspect that there are a lot of cheaters abusing the free trials.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I'm not an MMO guy. I bought Star Trek Online last week, and instantly regretted it (I think I may have been drunk) I could have spent the £30 on Bioshock 2 or something. Damn.

OT: 30% seems ok considering the number of trial players. Cataclysm should give it a shot in the arm.

L33tsauce_Marty

Jun 26, 2008
Maybe people want to play the game and not have to get through (soon) 2 dead expansions just to finally start the game.

Ipswich67

Oct 19, 2009
I just never understood the appeal of the endless grind. I got one of those 30 day free trials and at the behest of my friends and cousins damn well tried to like it. I think i did actually get up to perhaps level 20 (it was a while ago) but there was just no sense of real achievement, no over arching story that made me want to keep playing. sure you CAN go out on raids and get the best items and whatnot, but it's all for it's own sake. I struggle to think what a player does once he's reached the level cap.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
I got to around level 15 or 16 in my trial of World of Warcraft. The game is a yawnfest against Ragnarok Online, since I typically play mage and therefore can take on much stronger dungeons just by evading damage. By comparison, the spellcasting in WoW produces interesting combos but I'm still slowly killing monsters that are at my level, or even below my level. And for all the praise heaped on WoW's quests, the early game quests are all the dullest collection of fetch quests.

I guess if you approach WoW after another MMO it loses a LOT of its appeal. I also disliked the graphical style, and found the early game environments to be incredibly dreary and dull.

Zac_Dai

Oct 21, 2008
I wouldn't be surprised if thats the normal number across most MMOs.

I tried the trial.

Realised I had no influence whatsoever on the game world then left. But thats what happens, you cant expect 90% of people to like your game.

gim73

Jul 17, 2008
Numbers are a bit off actually. Most trial accounts are created by gold sellers who usually make up a name like lfgdg and then either:
1) send tells to characters in high level zones refering them to a website until such time that they are reported for spam and banned or
2) run to a main city and die, leaving their corpses in the shape of a website address.

option 2 was removed a while back when they increased the decay rate of pre level 10 corpses to fix this problem.

These are TRIAL accounts. Most people using them are not even sure if they wanna play the game. Get me some numbers using fresh accounts being payed for, and I'm pretty sure this number is in excess of 95 percent.

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
John Funk said:
Abedeus said:
uppitycracker said:
While a 30 percent rate of retention may seem low, keep in mind these are for the trial accounts... the accounts that are not necessarily considered active, as they are not subscribed. If you think about it... 11.5 million accounts, and those only being roughly 30 percent of those who have given it a shot... That's still incredibly impressive, and in my opinion, makes it even more so.
Do I have to use a hammer to get it inside of people's head that WoW doesn't have 11,5 million accounts anymore? Not since they closed the Chinese servers?

There are more or less 6 millions of players in WoW.
Read the OP. Morhaime said the game still has 11.5 million. The game is facing troubles in China, but Morhaime confirmed it was still operational.

Re: The 30% statistic... I'm honestly surprised, though it IS just Trial accounts. But WoW is probably the most newbie-friendly MMOG on the market (short of games like FreeRealms), so I'd be curious to see how these numbers hold up against other MMOGs.
It'd be tough to say, since other MMOs don't all have the same pricing model. Someone who plays the WoW trial has to enjoy the game enough that they're willing to spend $40 for the game and then another $15 every month, and that's not even including people who for whatever reason made a trial account but have no intention of purchasing the full game.

Levitas1234

Oct 28, 2009
I can understand why only 30% make it past level 10 because a lot of people i know that try wow will play for 5 minutes and say wow this is gay and quit.

SharedProphet

Oct 9, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Only 30 percent of new World of Warcraft [http://www.worldofwarcraft.com] players ever make it past level ten, according to Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaime, who also revealed an even more chilling statistic: The game has stopped growing.

"Our research shows that trial players who play World of Warcraft past level ten are much more likely to stick with the game for a long time," Morhaime said during Activision Blizzard's [http://www.activisionblizzard.com/] year-end financial call. "Currently, only about 30 percent of our trial players make it past this threshold. So anything we can do to improve the new player experience is a huge opportunity for us."

I have no idea how the average MMOG performs in this regard but a 30 percent rate of retention seems pretty low to me.
People have already pointed out that this is for trial accounts; the headline and early information are misleading. Presumably he was saying that is the percentage of players who make it past level 10 before the trial expires (10 days). The quote isn't very specific about what they consider to be "sticking with the game for a long time." He could be referring to the number of trial players who subscribe, or the number who subscribe and maintain a subscription for X months.

But also: the 30 percent is not retention rate. Retention rate would refer to the percentage of people who have ever subscribed that are still subscribed, or perhaps the percentage who retain their subscription for a set period of time. From the quote, it's not even conversion rate (trial to sub). He's saying about 30% of trial players are much more likely to stick with the game. There's no way to know from this what the actual conversion rate is; if "much more likely" means 60% of those that get past level 10 in the trial subscribe vs. 10% of those who don't pass that threshold subscribing, that would come out to a conversion rate of 25% ((60% of 30% = 18%) + (10% of 70% = 7%)). But we have no idea what those actual numbers are from the quote.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Sev said:
Even given their statistic, they;re hardly doing "something dreadfully wrong" or the game wouldn't have so many players and wouldn't just crush any competition it comes up against.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
Amnestic said:
But...level 10 takes like three hours to get to. If that. That's probably slow actually.

Jeebus ;/

Cataclysm will give them a jump in numbers. Completely revitalising the Azeroth will likely bring back old customers *coughlikemecough* as well.
I imagine most people can barely stand playing half an hour of WoW, let alone 3.

In fact, I can say that 70% of WoW players can't stand playing three hours of Wow.