No Windows XP Support for Just Cause 2

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
No Windows XP Support for Just Cause 2

Hope you PC gamers out there haven't been having too much fun watching all the spectacular trailers for Just Cause 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Just-Cause-2-Xbox-360/dp/B0013RATNM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279310310&sr=1-1], because it's DirectX 10 only, which means it won't run under Windows XP.

Just Cause 2 is a sandbox action game in which plot is almost entirely irrelevant compared to the insanely awesome stunts the player can perform with the aid of a parachute, a grappling hook and a silly, highly interactive world. One pre-release video shows the player lifting a sports car with a helicopter and dropping it on an enemy's head, while the most recent features a game of chicken between a fire truck and an airliner.

Tons of fun, for sure; just don't expect to join in if you're a PC gamer who's still hacking away with Windows XP. Just Cause 2 is DX10-only, which means you'll need at least Vista or Windows 7 to play. The specs:

Minimum:

Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista or Windows 7 (Windows XP is unsupported)
Processor: Dual-core CPU with SSE3 (Athlon 64 X2 4200 / Pentium D 3GHz)
Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce 8800 Series / ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro with 256MB memory or equivalent DX10 card with 256MB memory
Memory: 2GB RAM
DirectX: Microsoft DirectX 10
Hard Drive: 10GB of free drive space
Optical Drive: DVD-ROM drive
Sound Card: 100% DirectX 10 compatible sound card
Internet Connection: Internet connection required for product activation
Input: Keyboard and mouse (Microsoft Xbox 360 controller optional)

Recommended:

Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista or Windows 7 (Windows XP is unsupported)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.6GHz or AMD Phenom X3 2.4GHz
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 Series with 512MB / ATI Radeon HD 5750 Series with 512MB or equivalent DX10 card with 512MB memory
Memory: 3GB
DirectX: Microsoft DirectX 10.1 with Vista SP1
Hard Drive: 10GB of free drive space
Optical Drive: DVD-ROM drive
Sound Card: 100% DirectX 10 compatible Dolby Digital 5.1 sound card
Internet Connection: Internet connection required for product activation
Input: Keyboard and mouse (Xbox 360 controller optional)

Of course, Windows XP is two generations old, so what's the big deal about not supporting it? Only this: According to the January 2010 Steam survey [http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/], Windows XP is still far and away the most popular version of Microsoft's operating system, with almost 44 percent of Steam users running it. That's a huge portion of the PC market to ignore. On the other hand, that's a huge portion of what will easily be the tiniest portion of the game's overall market, so Eidos and Squeenix probably aren't losing much sleep over it.

Just Cause 2 comes out on March 23 for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC.

Source: Rock, Paper, Shotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/02/23/unjust-cause-no-xp-support/#more-25838]

Dublin Solo

Feb 18, 2010
That's a bold move indeed. I sense another petition/boycott coming!

And then I add the mandatory: I'm glad I own a PS3 and a Xbox360.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Wow, you know how long it's been since I've felt the need to check my system requirements? I mean, I don't have that nice of a computer, but this is the first game in five years that I flat out do not meet the requirements for. OK kids, time to get a taste of what PC gaming was like in the 90s!

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Dublin Solo said:

You can't petition them for DX9 support, they'd have to redesign the entire game. And they'd likely to a crappy rushed job. It's better the way it is.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I hope this won't turn into a trend, while I do own a copy of windows 7 I've just been really reluctant to switch over just because of having to completely reinstall everything (for some reason my Windows 7 copy doesn't support upgrading). This would be a huge pain because I have to go hunt down save files (what happened to them being in their respective game folders? Some save in My Docs now, wtf?) for various game and then actually have to re download all my steam games. And I'm sure hunting down all my drivers will be a treat...
Oh well, like I said I hope it doesn't turn into a trend, but for me its still a case of "if it isn't broken don't fix it".

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
I'm just going to say that i'm pissed off, and leave it at that. Don't like when upgrades are forced on me.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
phoenix352 said:
Rainboq said:
Well, now I have too upgrade.... too VISTA *evil music*
i got vista.. works fine for me.. never really understood the hate for it....
I had it on another PC with Vista, crashed so many times it became unusable, I had too get a brand new laptop with XP

evilgenius134

Apr 18, 2009
It makes complete sense this year to start declining support for XP in a general sense since not only has Win7 overtaken Vista in adoption for Gamers but their combined is at the tipping point. So you can either decide to program for DX10/11 for Vista and Win7 or program in DX9 for XP and not take advantage of DX10 stuff for all the new OS' and hardware.

Or if you really care about a port you can program in both DX9 and DX10 which is masses of work and testing for a port to PC. Not that there is anything wrong with ports; but if you are going to port you might as well do it well once rather than multiple times really poorly.

XP is 7 years old, we might as well start phasing it out. Nothing wrong with it, just we need to move on. General support ended last year for the system.

Dublin Solo

Feb 18, 2010
300lb. Samoan said:
Dublin Solo said:

You can't petition them for DX9 support, they'd have to redesign the entire game. And they'd likely to a crappy rushed job. It's better the way it is.
Oh, I know that. But do you think that will keep people from trying to start petitions and boycotts? That was mainly what I was implying :)

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
Rednog said:
I hope this won't turn into a trend, while I do own a copy of windows 7 I've just been really reluctant to switch over just because of having to completely reinstall everything (for some reason my Windows 7 copy doesn't support upgrading). This would be a huge pain because I have to go hunt down save files (what happened to them being in their respective game folders? Some save in My Docs now, wtf?) for various game and then actually have to re download all my steam games. And I'm sure hunting down all my drivers will be a treat...
Oh well, like I said I hope it doesn't turn into a trend, but for me its still a case of "if it isn't broken don't fix it".
I upgraded to windows 7 and didn't have to reinstall a thing.

I had a friend do it for me though, so I have no idea how.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Dublin Solo said:
300lb. Samoan said:
Dublin Solo said:

Oh, I know that. But do you think that will keep people from trying to start petitions and boycotts? That was mainly what I was implying :)
Well, that's true. Let's see if we can't nip this in the bud right here:
HEY RETARDS - XP DOESN'T SUPPORT DX10. TECHNOLOGY MARCHES ON, DEAL WITH IT.

That said, I'm REALLY glad I don't know any thing about this game or have any great desire to buy it, otherwise I'd be really pissed about how old and grungy my 2005 Windows XP machine really is. In all my years of maintaining and upgrading the family system, this is the longest stretch I've ever gone without feeling like I was painfully behind the times.

karmapolizei

Sep 26, 2008
Yeah, so what?

And that Steam survey doesn't say a lot, because for one, it doesn't say if all those XP users on Steam have the kind of hardware to run JC2 in the first place, because chances are, they don't.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
phoenix352 said:
Rainboq said:
Well, now I have too upgrade.... too VISTA *evil music*
i got vista.. works fine for me.. never really understood the hate for it....
It used to be buggy as hell and under performing, then they fixed it, but people still believes it's buggy as hell and under performing.