Soar Into Super Mario Galaxy 2 on May 23rd

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Soar Into Super Mario Galaxy 2 on May 23rd

Super Mario Galaxy 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Super-Mario-Galaxy-2-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B002BSA388/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279307743&sr=1-1] now has a release date, and it's much, much sooner than anyone was probably expecting. Oh, and there's a new trailer, too.

[gametrailers=62270]

I think I've made it fairly well-known by this point that I flippin' loved Super Mario Galaxy. It's still one of the best games of the current generation, and the idea of getting a sequel makes me pretty damn psyched. Like most gamers, though, I was assuming that as one of the year's biggest titles for the Big N, we'd be seeing it in the traditional October/November holiday rush.

Nope! We're getting it earlier - much earlier. Earlier today, at the Nintendo Media Summit 2010, the House of Mario debuted the trailer you see above, and announced that Super Mario Galaxy 2 would be hitting North America on May 23rd. A European release date is expected to be announced tomorrow at a similar event in London.

That's much earlier than almost anyone was expecting, but also kind of heartening. Not only does it indicate that the game is shaping up well enough to not need the extra development time, and not only will we be getting our hands on it earlier, but any indication that major publishers are moving away from the "All of our big titles in the last three months of the year" strategy is a good one in my book.

Frankly speaking, the game looks amazing. There is something just inherently joyful about a pudgy, stubby-armed little plumber soaring through space, and now we have Yoshi to keep us company. Not just Yoshi, but a drill power-up as well, which looks like a ton of fun to use. Go, you chubby Italian stereotype - go and use that drill of yours to pierce the heavens!

I can't wait. Who's with me?

(Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/24/super-mario-galaxy-2-may-23-release-date/])

MrPop

May 14, 2009
Ahh brilliant. Super Mario Galaxy is undoubtably my favourite game to grace the Wii so far. Sadly though I sold my Wii before they announced the second one since I thought there was going to be a drought in good games.

Now though I wanna get one again though just for this one game! *Shakes fist*

The trailer was awesome too. I loved the side-scrolling bits from the last and the changable gravity sections so I'm looking forward to those!

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
You made me lol hard, at work, with that last comment. (IDK im web surfing anyway.)

OT; I love Mario Galaxy and this one should be a blast as well.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
It was my GOTY 2007, beating out Bioshock with a definite thud. When I watched the new trailer, my friend was laughing at me because my eyes were gleaming, I was grinning, and my jaw was scraping the floor. Now if you'll excuse me, I think I just messed myself...

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Marios is the drill that shall pierce the heavens!

Also Mario with mechas: Best .Idea .Ever. (Take notes Nintendo...)

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Wow. That's really soon. I still don't want it, as I've never liked the Mario platformers/Mario racers/Mario sports/Mario etc.

I did like the RPGs, though.

Walkchalk

Nov 9, 2009
All I can think right now is WHAAAAAAAAT? Thats the most surprising news Ive heard..... all year actually. Damn Im gonna have to turn on my Wii sooner than expected.

wadark

Dec 22, 2007
I really REALLY wanna be excited. The little 4 year old inside me that's STILL playing Super Mario Bros on the NES is screaming in glee...but I'm no longer that 4-year-old. I'm 21 and an incurable cynic.

SMG2 does NOT excite me...at all. Why, you ask? You didn't ask? Shut up, its the internet and I'm determined to shove my opinion down your throat. So, why, you ask? Because its Mario. I can tell you exactly what this game entails having never played it or even seen a video.

Bowser does something to capture the princess or something similar, Mario must collect stars or something similarly shaped, you jump around on variously-themed worlds to collect said stars, and once you have enough stars it all culminates in an epic showdown with Bowser that you win by hitting him in some fancy way EXACTLY three times.

The End.

So, I'm afraid I'm NOT with you, Mario makes me depressed.

Aug 13, 2008
day one buy?
especially since the isle delfino residents are making a comeback

hell, this may just look like £40 really big dlc to galaxy 1, except on a disc
but fuck it, id buy £40 massive dlc for galaxy 1 which looked that fantastic

Aug 13, 2008
wadark said:
I really REALLY wanna be excited. The little 4 year old inside me that's STILL playing Super Mario Bros on the NES is screaming in glee...but I'm no longer that 4-year-old. I'm 21 and an incurable cynic.

SMG2 does NOT excite me...at all. Why, you ask? You didn't ask? Shut up, its the internet and I'm determined to shove my opinion down your throat. So, why, you ask? Because its Mario. I can tell you exactly what this game entails having never played it or even seen a video.

Bowser does something to capture the princess or something similar, Mario must collect stars or something similarly shaped, you jump around on variously-themed worlds to collect said stars, and once you have enough stars it all culminates in an epic showdown with Bowser that you win by hitting him in some fancy way EXACTLY three times.

The End.

So, I'm afraid I'm NOT with you, Mario makes me depressed.
err... i think it's called playing videogames for fun, what you're missing i mean

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
John Funk said:
I can't wait. Who's with me?
*Raises hand and jumps up and down*

Me sir! I'm with you sir!

Super Mario Galaxy is easily the best game on the Wii.

Also IT'S COMING OUT IN MAY! That's just *counts on fingers* 3 months away! I wonder if they've built enough hype...There's only been two trailers so far...

*Shrugs* Whatever, you could make a Mario Game about shit shoveling and it'd see by the bucket loads.

Brain_Cleanser

Dec 18, 2009
My jaw dropped watching that. How the hell could they improve on the first one that much!? It's amazing!
May. Looks like it's tome for me to get a Job.