Huge Closures for GAME

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Huge Closures for GAME

UK retailer GAME is to close over a hundred branches in the next three years.

Following a 27% drop in profits, retailer GAME is to close 127 of its 677 UK stores by the end of 2013, reducing the total number of stores to 550.

"We continue actively to review our UK store base, with a view to minimizing store overlap and maximizing opportunities from lease expiries, breaks and rent reviews," said GAME chairman Peter Lewis. "Operationally we have continued to derive benefits from the integration of GAME and Gamestation.

"We have also rationalized our store and head office cost base which, in conjunction with the store closures, will result in savings of a further 5m GBP in each of the next two years."

The announcement of the closures comes at the same time as the announcement that the Chief Executive Officer and Chief Operating Officer would be leaving the company. Interim CEO Chris Bell, said that the company has plans to improve the remaining stores however: "Our stores are a place to experience games, and the format is evolving to cater for their changing needs and the incoming new technology."

"We are trialing interactive kiosks and improved ecommerce connectivity in selected stores to expand further the range with thousands more product lines and enhanced the customer experience. To deal with the transactional volumes through our stores, we continually upgrade our IT infrastructure. As part of this we are installing both customer conversion technology and top-up card activation capabilities within our outlets."

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3178926]

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Well, I have 2 GAME stores here so I should be fine, I hope they shut down the crappy small one, not the nice one in the oracle though.

RikSharp

Feb 11, 2009
this comes as no surprise to me, ever since electronics boutique rebranded to game over here, there customer loyalty schemes went down the tubes and their prices went up. theres no incentive to shop there now that supermarket chains provide the same service (i.e. almost none) for less money. the economic downturn won't have helped matters either.

i would say sorry to see you go but i'd be lying.
it's a shame for the staff that work there though, that much is true.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Xzi said:
But according to all the big publishers like EA and Activision, retailers like these are making billions by greedily taking away their profits. What gives?
It may be the case that GAME stores have a habit of clustering together and are usually near GameStation stores (which are owned by the same company). Or it could be that Nintendo's moaning about piracy reducing its European sales may be misplaced, and they should be blaming Europeans not buying their games (or games in general, in this case). Or, of course, there's always the Internet (Amazon, Zavvi, HMV etc. etc.).

Andy_Panthro

Man of Science
May 3, 2009
Considering GAME have three shops in Newcastle, within about five minutes walk of each other, they could definitely use a reduction.

I also find it odd that they are only now thinking about merging GAME and Gamestation, I always get annoyed when supposedly competing shops are owned by the same company.

kiwisushi

Sep 29, 2008
Yeah, knew this was going to happen. Been told about this from my mate who works there. The takeover of Gamestation is partially to blame.

PhantomCritic

May 9, 2009
As long as they don't close the only 2 closest to me, I'm happy. Isn't the reason for this partly due to the takeover of Gamestation anyways?

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
[quote/]"We are trialing interactive kiosks and improved ecommerce connectivity in selected stores to expand further the range with thousands more product lines and enhanced the customer experience. To deal with the transactional volumes through our stores, we continually upgrade our IT infrastructure. As part of this we are installing both customer conversion technology and top-up card activation capabilities within our outlets."[/quote]

...Wu?

Over complicated management speak aside, this blows. The GAME stores the less opportunity I have to, you know, buy games.

I prefer Game Station or independent stores but still, this sucks.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Thank god we can buy games off the internet.

I mean, I'm not in the UK, but Amazon is really trying to get into the game business. FANTASTIC deals on some games.

So, you can always use THE INTERNET!

That said, I don't know what I'd do if my Gamestop shutdown. Such an awesome Gamestop...

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Which ones? I know there are two in Norwich, plus a Gamestation, but any news would be helpful...

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
I feel most for the employees. I hope the leaving execs aren't getting golden parachutes, but we all know it's the most likely thing. Maybe they could try to fold some of the folks from closing stores into the new setup, but all that talk of IT, kiosks, and card top-up stations makes me think the bloodletting won't limit itself to locations and the attached employees.

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
Well I can see why their business is suffering, compared to on-line retailers their overpriced, lack choice and inconvenient (seriously GAME employers are some of the most unhelpful people in retail).

SomeBoredGuy

Nov 18, 2009
I really hope they don't close down the one near me. It's pretty much the only decent game store for quite a bit around. The only other place that sells games is HMV and they don't even mention PC games any more. Plus, almost all of the staff there are friendly and I'd really feel sorry for them were they out of a job.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
Maybe the could implement sensible pricing to attract more customers? Just a thought...