Final Fantasy V & VI Have "Technical Problems" On DS

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Final Fantasy V & VI Have "Technical Problems" On DS

If you've been dreaming that Square-Enix would remake Final Fantasy IV [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-V-Advance-Game-Boy/dp/B000HE9LEK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278526607&sr=1-1]), you might have to just keep on dreaming. Then again, you might not.

Square-Enix's full-3D remake of beloved SNES JRPG Final Fantasy IV (also known as Final Fantasy II [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-II-Sony-PSP/dp/B000NPOGWK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278526715&sr=1-1]) led some to speculate that the publisher would be working on remaking its successors, Final Fantasy V and the much-beloved Final Fantasy VI. It made sense - if you remade one, you're probably thinking about remaking the others, right?

As it turns out, the answer could be both "yes" and "no." Yesterday, Square-Enix producer Shinji Hashimoto updated the Square-Enix Members' Twitter account [http://twitter.com/SQEX_MEMBERS_JP] in response to several questions from fans of the studio's games. Previously, Hashimoto had said that non-iMode releases of the publisher's Ever Heart Odyssey and a downloadable release of the SNES title Seiken Densetsu 3 were both "undecided." When asked about the possibility of FFV and FFVI for DS, though, he responded:

"For FF5 and 6, there are technical issues as well, so at present these are also undecided."

Undecided, yes - but the fact that Square-Enix is aware that there are technical issues means that the company has at least thought about remaking those games long enough to run into problems.

I'm just personally confused on what technical problems there could be that weren't there in remaking Final Fantasy IV. Are FF5 and FF6 really all that different from the first SNES Final Fantasy? What, is all the Mode 7 too much for the DS to handle?

(Via Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/04/28/ffv_and_vi_technical_issues/])

(Image: FF Wiki [http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/File:Ariadimezzocarattere.png])

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Fingers crossed. I really love both of those games (Butz RULES). Before you know it people will be bugging them to remake VII on the DS. Wouldn't that be great?

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
CoverYourHead said:
Fingers crossed. I really love both of those games (Butz RULES). Before you know it people will be bugging them to remake VII on the DS. Wouldn't that be great?
No... ps3 or no dice. Or at least hope they remake 7 and 8 for the current gen it would be awesome.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I really hope they do. FFV has always been my favourite and to see a remake would be so epic!

Apackof12Ninjas

Oct 12, 2009
I would kill for a 3D with cutscenes and VA's remake of Final Fantasy VI (AKA the best final fantasy game to date)

No seriously. Name the target and it shall die.

Mr. GameBrain

Aug 10, 2009
I'd love a HD 2D hand-drawn remake of FF6 Plz.

The cutesy 3d on the DS is overdone. I want to see something a bit cooler!

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Huh. FFVI is a problem on the DS?

Why? The GBA port from a while back didn't have any issues...

-shrug-
AzrealMaximillion said:
Just put it on the PSP. They put 1&2 on the PSP but every other remake has been DS. Why?
Lol. no idea what the logic is with remakes and re-releases.
Obviously, FF I to VI are all originally games for nintendo systems, while the mainstream ones from VII onwards have all been Playstation games.
(though exclusive spinoffs such as Crystal Chronicles certainly don't suggest Square & Nintendo don't still get along...)

The logic of these things is never so simple anyway...

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
Final Fantasy VI on the DS? I'm a bit skeptical since it's my favorite Final Fantasy game out of all of them. And the CGI on PS1, do want.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
The technical issues are do we want to sell it on a cart for 50$ a shot, or as DLC for 20$ a shot? oh decisions decisions.....

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
Just put it on the PSP. They put 1&2 on the PSP but every other remake has been DS. Why?
Exactly and screw 3d make them in those good looking detailed sprites they had in the PSP remakes.
though if they did make it 3D PSP would also be the handheld of choice again for the detail they could put in (the 3d models of FFIII and FFIV on the DS were not all that great) and because it's just a stronger system with probably less technical issues (depending on what said issues are)

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
I think you're reading a bit much into that. Any armchair game developer can take a moment to reflect on importing a game and find some technical issues.

RikSharp

Feb 11, 2009
imagine... when squeenix is asked if they are thinking of remaking on old final fantasy, they give an ambiguous answer. i have never heard such a thing before...

would i like a remake...
of course i do!

which is why i hate these ambiguous answers, give us a yes and get us excited or say no and let us get over it!