Final Fantasy V & VI Have "Technical Problems" On DS

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
FFVI should never be remade. It looks amazing as-is and doesn't need to be uglied up by polygons, which NEVER(rarely), EVER age well. I'd say a port would be nice, maybe the same they did for Chrono Trigger which was quite nice for the most part. (Go ahead ridicule me for my Retro gaming love)

Plus I doubt the art style of FFVI could be captured on the DS. The DS having my other gripe too, DS can't be put on a TV, makes me hate my DS Chrono Trigger.

Note: That's not to say the DS is bad, I prefer my RPGs on screens sometimes but they can't exactly put 2 screens on a TV...not a touch screen anyway.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
I'm thinking this is their way of hinting towards 5 and 6 coming to the 3DS.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Agayek said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Just put it on the PSP. They put 1&2 on the PSP but every other remake has been DS. Why?
Because, according to the chart on http://www.vgchartz.com/, the DS has sold 225% as many units as the PSP.
Like I was saying to another person, that doesn't change the fact the most of the top selling PSP games world wide are RPGs. Whereas Both the FF3 and FF4 remakes aren't even in the top 20 most sold DS games of all time. If the DS having so many units sold mattered,then how come Chrono Trigger DS basically didn't sell all that well?

teletran3

Sep 10, 2008
John Funk said:
I'm just personally confused on what technical problems there could be that weren't there in remaking Final Fantasy IV. Are FF5 and FF6 really all that different from the first SNES Final Fantasy? What, is all the Mode 7 too much for the DS to handle?
I know that FFIV was originally made for the NES, so that might have been why it was easier to remake for the DS than FFV & VI.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
But the "full 3-d"(heh) was crap. Just port FFVI directly from the SNES to the DS and I will pay for it. No changes, no updates, no NOTHING. Just the same game on a different system.

Sephiwind

Darth Conservative
Aug 12, 2009
The problem with remaking 5 & 6 probably has to do with the fact that they are much longer then 4 was. They realise that if they don't stay true to the originals then people will be pissed off, but becasue of how long they are in comparison to 4 they will have a problem with space.

You figure that an updated, 3d, version of 5 and 6 will probably be on the lines in size of Final Fantasy 7 if not larger. In final fantasy 6 the world map changes once and in 5 it changes twice.

Brain_Cleanser

Dec 18, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
NOOOOOOO! FFV is arguably the best combat and leveling in the series history!
And Plot. When you only throw writers something like "We're focusing on the battle system, make this work" you get an insane awesome plot.

Anyway, I can kinda see what kind of technical problems there are. FFV has more Jobs than FF3 did (I wanna say five or six more), with unique models for each character (24*5, somthing like 120 models if my math is right), plus three worlds, plus some truly bad ass cut scenes, V'd be a big job. Not even getting on things like VI's three thousand Espers, everyone's unique skills, ect.
I'd still love to see them though.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
Like I was saying to another person, that doesn't change the fact the most of the top selling PSP games world wide are RPGs. Whereas Both the FF3 and FF4 remakes aren't even in the top 20 most sold DS games of all time. If the DS having so many units sold mattered,then how come Chrono Trigger DS basically didn't sell all that well?
I have no idea. It just makes logical sense to sell your game on the system with the most units.

evilpaul13

Apr 28, 2010
It's still a pretty easy game to find either new on PSX/GBA or used as an SNES cart. PSN might even have it available for download.

Brok3n Halo

Jul 5, 2009
Atmos Duality said:
Brok3n Halo said:
I imagine, by technical problems he was not talking in a hardware/software sense, but in the business strategy sense.
My bad. Though the term "technical difficulties" has a very specific meaning to me.
Legality/business are not really "technical" as they are "semantic" to me. ;p
Though I can see the quote as being a cheeky way of saying "We can't do this right now due to internal affairs within Squeenix".
Yeah, I think it's the same with most people. I know it was the first thing that game to mind for me and I was confused by the statement for a second. But I work as a dev at a small company and will occasionally get involved with the business side of thing and have heard it thrown around there sometimes so figure that's what he meant. A lesser used meaning of the term "technical" is "resulting from or dependent on market factors." I'm a little surprised to see it used that way publicly by a someone in the industry though, usually it's avoided due to possible confusion. I figure it's use mostly has to do with a loss in translation issue.

In other news: I see in your profile it says "wx man." As in wxwidgets.org? I use that at work. Or a python wrapped version of it anyway, but close enough. ^_^

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Agayek said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
I have no idea. It just makes logical sense to sell your game on the system with the most units.
Well Valkyria Chronicles by Sega was put on just the PS3 and it sold moderately well. I'm just saying more units doesn't mean more sales. Look at how GTA: Chinatown Wars bombed on the DS.