Activision Announces Call of Duty: Black Ops

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Activision Announces Call of Duty: Black Ops

Activision has taken the wraps off the newest Call of Duty title, Black Ops [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-Ops-Xbox-360/dp/B003JVKHEQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278525746&sr=1-1], coming from Treyarch later this year.

Being developed by Treyarch [http://www.callofduty.com/codww] studio head Mark Lamia, "with dedicated multiplayer, single-player and co-op teams creating the most intense, gripping and riveting experience possible for our fans on all fronts."

Black Ops will probably be the most closely scrutinized Call of Duty game of all time, thanks entirely to the Infinity Ward [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98761-Rumor-Security-Locks-Down-Infinity-Ward-Ousts-Studio-Head-UPDATE]. Adding to the pressure is the fact that Treyarch is sometimes derisively referred to as the "B team," the studio that keeps the seats warm while Infinity Ward is off making the CoD games that people are actually interested in.

And then there's Bungie [http://www.activision.com], which has made a couple of fairly popular shooters of its own. To say that the bar has been set high for Treyarch is putting it very, very mildly.

Call of Duty: Black Ops is scheduled for launch on November 9.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I can tell that this game is going to be panned. Doesn't matter if it's good or not, people are going to hate it for not being made by IW.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
There's probably no better for Treyarch to become the hero... making a kick-ass CoD game after all these shenanigans would be it. I hope they succeed.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
oppp7 said:
I can tell that this game is going to be panned. Doesn't matter if it's good or not, people are going to hate it for not being made by IW.
Sad isn't it?

But then again, people are largely loyal to branding.

theComposer

Mar 29, 2009
Awexsome said:
There's probably no better for Treyarch to become the hero... making a kick-ass CoD game after all these shenanigans would be it. I hope they succeed.
Yeah, this is their chance to become the A team. As Infinity Ward crumbles, Treyarch could easily take over the CoD throne if Black Ops is a solid game.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Note to studios, and everyone: Stop putting dates in 11.9.10 format! That can mean 9th November, or 11th September depending on where you are in the world. Just say the damn date!

ryai458

Oct 20, 2008
I hope that it is good, I want to fail kind of but I just remember if its good its good doen't matter who makes it.

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
Wait wasn't The MW Cods about Black ops? I mean i know they about SAS but still they just the same thing.

chronobreak

Sep 6, 2008
oppp7 said:
But aren't they the ones who gave us (as many people seem to think anyways) a very broken multiplayer experience, where most of the price of the game really pays off?

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Well I'm not buying it. I hate giving Activision my money as it is, and I'm far from a fan of Treyarch (I've never played a game as rage inducing as World At War).
Maybe I'll rent of borrow it if it looks good, I hate to admit it sounds like it could be.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Go Treyarch. You've always been much more community friendly than IW.

Both great devs, but I like Treyarch more.

Besides, I adored WaW.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
oppp7 said:
Probably, I mean, I love WaW.

I think it could be pretty good, personally. I have a soft spot for Treyarch (the whole underdog thing I think).

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
So, uhm, what's the game about? Any news vis-a-vis the setting, characters, backstory? To be perfectly honest, I don't care in the slightest about the game, but I'd rather read about the actual game, than the IW/Activision quagmire...

8-Bit Grin

Apr 20, 2010
I've never paid attention to developers or producers or any of that bullshit.
If it's a good game it's a good game, end of story.
I'm rooting for you, Treyarch!
-F

VanBasten

Aug 20, 2009
sephiroth1991 said:
Wait wasn't The MW Cods about Black ops? I mean i know they about SAS but still they just the same thing.
Half of each MW's was black ops-ish, yeah.
The other halves were "Americans invading unnamed middle eastern country"(Notiraqistan,MW1) and "ZOMG Russian Invasion"(MW2).

But in all fairness, that sort of "small team with an objective to do" is the staple of all FPS games.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
Yes! A new Treyarch game! I loved WaW.

Does this mean it's stealth-based? Either way, I'm interested.

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
Predicted amount of copies sold; anywhere between a shitload and a fuckton.