= 2(12)
= 24
therefore 48/24
= 2

There is no argument to this >_<
No there isn't. And you got it wrong.

You can think the expression like so:

(48÷2)*(9+3)

It may be easier to comprehend. The priority is left to right, see.

TheHardcase

Jun 7, 2011
If 48 was over 2(9+3), as in there was a horizontal line, it would be 2.
The way it's written here, it's 288.

brumley53

Oct 19, 2009
It's 288 Division and multiplication are equal and done from left to right. but saying this wont stop anything people will probably argue this till page 100.

Spencer Petersen

Apr 3, 2010
One thing to remember about PEMDAS is that the M and D are on the same hierarchy and take order based on left to right. Same with the A and S. The division occurs before the multiplication, so its 288.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
There is no correct answer. The whole BEDMAS or Order of Operations thing is primarily based on custom and is taught differently in different parts of the world. The question uses that to be ambiguous, it is not a "real" mathematical question so much as hook to try and start semantical arguements based on pointless mathematical principles that nobody above the age of 12 should be bothering with.

TL:DR It's a troll thread.

Gweneth Knaff

May 29, 2011
Oddly, I learned the order of operations bit with this: Please excuse my dear Aunt Sally! (Parentheses, exponents, multiplication, division, addition, subtraction)

Juuel

Jun 2, 2011
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/48293

The way I've been taught the order goes like this:
48÷2(9+3)
=24(9+3)
=24(12)
=288

But, it's a badly written formula, so who cares?

Jordi

Jun 6, 2009
This exact thread has been done a couple of weeks ago. There should be no discussion. Everybody who blindly follows BEDMAS or something did not pay good attention in school (or had a horrible teacher). Multiplication and division have the same priority, which means that you do them from left to right.

It is horrible and misleading notation though. 48/2*(9+3) would have been clearer, but it's the same thing.

Iznat

Feb 13, 2010
Wuggy said:
Iznat said:
BEMDAS

2(9+3)
= 2(12)
= 24
therefore 48/24
= 2

(48÷2)*(9+3)

No D: The priority is BEMDAS

Brackets
Exponentials
Multiplication
Division
Addition
Subtraction

Ergo:

2(9+3)
2(12)
leading to
48/24

Goddamnit, you guys are wrong! :p

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
We're not doing this again. Oh, and the correct answer is "both:"

PurpleMath.com said:
This next example displays an issue that almost never arises but, when it does, there seems to be no end to the arguing.

Simplify 16 ÷ 2[8 ? 3(4 ? 2)] + 1.

16 ÷ 2[8 ? 3(4 ? 2)] + 1
= 16 ÷ 2[8 ? 3(2)] + 1
= 16 ÷ 2[8 ? 6] + 1
= 16 ÷ 2[2] + 1 (**)
= 16 ÷ 4 + 1
= 4 + 1
= 5

The confusing part in the above calculation is how "16 divided by 2[2] + 1" (in the line marked with the double-star) becomes "16 divided by 4 + 1", instead of "8 times by 2 + 1". That's because, even though multiplication and division are at the same level (so the left-to-right rule should apply), parentheses outrank division, so the first 2 goes with the [2], rather than with the "16 divided by". That is, multiplication that is indicated by placement against parentheses (or brackets, etc) is "stronger" than "regular" multiplication. Typesetting the entire problem in a graphing calculator verifies this hierarchy:

[Calculator image removed; please see source for image]

Note that different software will process this differently; even different models of Texas Instruments graphing calculators will process this differently. In cases of ambiguity, be very careful of your parentheses, and make your meaning clear. The general consensus among math people is that "multiplication by juxtaposition" (that is, multiplying by just putting things next to each other, rather than using the "×" sign) indicates that the juxtaposed values must be multiplied together before processing other operations. But not all software is programmed this way, and sometimes teachers view things differently. If in doubt, ask!

(And please do not send me an e-mail either asking for or else proffering a definitive verdict on this issue. As far as I know, there is no such final verdict. And telling me to do this your way will not solve the issue!)

Source [http://www.purplemath.com/modules/orderops2.htm]

Long story short, the expression as written is ambiguous, and no one is going to write it like that. Both answers are correct: it's 2 if you follow the consensus that multiplication by juxtaposition is stronger than regular multiplication, and 288 if you don't.

khoax123

Jun 19, 2006
xzenopredator said:
Iznat said:
BEMDAS

2(9+3)
= 2(12)
= 24
therefore 48/24
= 2

This entirely.I dont get where all these supposed "difficult" maths equations are coming from.First 4chan,then facebook,now here.Do people not know the rules of maths o_O

Brackets.Exponentiols.Multiplication.Devision.Addition.Subtraction. <-- for anyone who doesnt know BEMDAS
It's BEDMAS or BODMAS
you got division and multiplication the wrong position

this really depends in programing language the order for division and multipication is left to right and hence answer becomes 288

in mathematics it is BEDMAS or BODMAS which is 288

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
kebab4you said:
48÷2(9+3)
48÷2(12)
48/2=24
24*12=288

would need to be: 48÷(2(9+3)) for it to be 2.
I'm fine with people being stupid.

But stupid people calling other people stupid, thinking they're smart? That's a scary sort of stupid.

coolguy5678

Apr 1, 2010
Using the division sign in a one-line expression like that is just ambiguous. (48/2)(9+3) and 48/(2(9+3)) are both valid interpretations. There may be a standard, but I'm not aware of any. Well, if there is a standard, Google and WolframAlpha would probably know:
http://www.google.co.za/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=48%2F2(9%2B3) says 288
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=48%2F2(9%2B3) says 288

Jewrean

Jun 27, 2010
Spencer Petersen said:
1.Terms inside parentheses or brackets
2.Exponents and roots
3.Multiplication and division as they appear left to right
4.Addition and subtraction as they appear left to right

That is the order

/thread
This. +1

The distributive law (the one that multiplies numbers inside the brackets by those outside) is the equivalent of regular multiplication. Therefore in this case we would perform the division then the multiplication from left to right (remember multiplication and division are at the same rung of the ladder people!).

Guys don't argue over this but instead read:
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/48293

This is a troll thread or meme if you will.

To answer it more accurately both answers are correct but it depends on the system for the order of operations. If you use the standard most-accepted order of operations then your answer will be 288. Check the link it goes into detail.

Lastly (and most importantly) the division symbol is rarely used by ACTUAL mathematicians such as myself. We would use the 48 as a numerator and the rest of the expression as a denominator if we wanted the answer to be 2.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
This been done. Like 2-3 months ago.
48 : 2 * (9 + 3) = 48 : 2 * 12 = 24 * 12 = 288

Any other way of doing it is wrong in terms of mathematical order. Division and multiplication are equal. Mnemonics fail because of it, they are just to help you to remember, not rules themselves.

Vornek

Jan 25, 2011
...It's 2 right?

2 gets multiplied into the numbers in the brackets, () is brackets right?
thou endest up with 48/(18+6)
Which in turn becometh 24
and thou are therefore left with 48/24
The math has set out a decree that proclaims 48/2(9+3)=2

...I'll stop now, I have no idea what got over me.

I still hold firm in my faith that the answer is 2.

-V

voetballeeuw

May 3, 2010
Iznat said:
Wuggy said:
Iznat said:
BEMDAS

2(9+3)
= 2(12)
= 24
therefore 48/24
= 2

(48÷2)*(9+3)

No D: The priority is BEMDAS

Brackets
Exponentials
Multiplication
Division
Addition
Subtraction

Ergo:

2(9+3)
2(12)
leading to
48/24

Goddamnit, you guys are wrong! :p
No. Multiplication and division change priority from left to right. If division is left of multiplication, you divide first.