Man Goes Overboard With Final Fantasy Collectible Sale

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Man Goes Overboard With Final Fantasy Collectible Sale

Would you pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for a crystal orb that says Final Fantasy on it?

Back in 1987, a game called Final Fantasy was released for the NES and it was the start of one of the world's most popular videogame franchises. In 1990, a Final Fantasy Treasure Quest contest ran in Nintendo Power magazine that gave readers a chance to win a crystal Final Fantasy orb. Ebay seller felixollie was lucky enough to win, and is now trying to cash in big time.

The orb is etched with the Final Fantasy name and its sword, shield, and axe logo. Felixollie's starting bid asking price is a mere $250,000 [http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-FINAL-FANTASY-ORB-ONLY-50-MADE-/170485985140], but if you want to forgo the auction process you can buy it now for a cool $1 million.

This might seem like a lot, but it's really worth it. The orb is made of solid lead crystal, and it enables you to cast Ice3. You'll want to be careful though, because four elemental fiends are currently after the orb and will tear your heart out of your face to get it.

Felixollie was one of only 50 winners, definitely making the orb a rare collectible. I'm just not sure that someone wants to pay a quarter-million for it. I'm actually completely sure nobody will, even though it's in perfect condition.

When a box of Nintendo cereal can $41,000 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98495-Nintendo-Cereal-Sells-for-Big-Money], it's unlikely that a magical crystal from the days when Final Fantasy was king will go for even close to that. Good try, though.

Via: Tiny Cartridge [http://tinycartridge.com/post/602064020/final-fantasy-orb-fifty-of-these-were-produced]

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Fool. Little does he know the true power of that crystal orb. With it in my grasp I can rule this planet! HA HA HA! Wait... how much?! To hell with that.

Urgh76

May 27, 2009
Wow....... just wow.........

I CAN'T BELIEVE I CAN GET IT FOR JUST OVER $1,000,000!!!!!!!
MOOOOM I need a favor....

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
Thats a really ugly collectible to be honest. Id spend that money on a dead space suit made from titanium composites. Id just walk around all day being showing off my tight ass in a space suit. What are you gonna do with that orb? Pretend its your testicle?

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
Even by crazy game-paraphernalia collectors' standards, I don't see this selling for more than $5000, let alone enough money to buy a house with. As far as I know, Stadium Events is more sought after than these orbs, and as you said, it only sold $41,000.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Finally! Some ignorant fool is willing to give up the orb! With it's power I Garland will finally be able to create the time loop that will alow me to live forever! (Damn I'm a nerd)

Chubb Secure

Aug 10, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
Fool. Little does he know the true power of that crystal orb. With it in my grasp I can rule this planet! HA HA HA! Wait... how much?! To hell with that.
damn right thats a sh*t load of money farming and i just dont have the time to d**k around...go halfzies

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
I could be wrong, but I feel like I called this. And by that I mean, anyone will buy anything that will say Final Fantasy on it.

GodKlown

Dec 16, 2009
How do we know this isn't a tarp? Oh sure... you win the auction for the $1,000,000, the guy promises to deliver in person because he doesn't trust the post office. He shows up at your door, freezes your ass and takes your money. Next thing you know, Chris Hanson has a new special on his hands: "To Catch A Final Fantasy Auction Predator". It's the perfect crime!

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
GodKlown said:
How do we know this isn't a tarp? Oh sure... you win the auction for the $1,000,000, the guy promises to deliver in person because he doesn't trust the post office. He shows up at your door, freezes your ass and takes your money. Next thing you know, Chris Hanson has a new special on his hands: "To Catch A Final Fantasy Auction Predator". It's the perfect crime!
Up here near Seattle a guy put a diamond ring up for sale on Craig's List and three guys showed up stole the ring.

To much money for the orb. Sure there are only 50 of them, but I was a gamer during that time and I knew nothing of these orbs until I saw this article. The items have to be sought after to fetch the crazy prices.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Whats the point of having a solid crystal ball? I have one made of acrylic right here, and it looks identical to a crystal one...

Plus it cost £16 rather than a million :p

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
sougo13 said:
Ice3!? For quater of a million i would demand a Flare spell
Screw Flare. Why not Meteo, or Ultima? Or, better yet, how about Ice9? THEN I'll shot those damn scientists who can reach absolute zero the fastest!

Wait...that's a bad thing.

OT: ... *facepalm* Gentlemen, if someone buys this, then I will present you proof as to the origins of the economic bust.

Lambi

Yuki-Onna
Oct 20, 2009
Well, if I am to get it, I'd better start grinding money.

That is how you get money, right?