5 Videogames everyone should play

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Hero in a half shell said:
2) COD Modern Warfare - especially the multiplayer (The game that spawned one of the most popular FPS franchises today, see how far we've come, and experience online gaming)
So... Call of Duty 1, United Offensive, 2, 3, and all the pre-CoD4 console ones don't exist? Compared to Call of Duty 2, CoD4 was just meh. The single player was a lot worse...

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
1) Starcraft. No better introduction to RTS games.
2) Super Mario Bros.
3) World of Warcraft. If they only ever play one MMO, this would have to be it.
4) Heavy Rain. A truly unique approach to game making.
5) Shadow of the Colossus. A game that some consider art. A great way to experience a game designed for you to fill in the blanks.

Fbuh

Feb 3, 2009
The Legend of Zelda
Chrono Trigger
Doom
Silent Hill 2
Final Fantasy 6 (or 7, tho I personally like 6 more)

Vault Girl

Apr 17, 2010
1) Silent Hill 2 - To be able to understand not only the feeling of anticipation and horror a video game is capable of instilling in it's players, but as an appreciation of Good gameplay and
Storytelling. (it was a throw up between SH2 and Amnesia, since i think the mechanics were better, but SH2 won on Narrative)

2) LittleBigPlanet - Just because it gives the player so much power and influence with some clever dynamics, but also because of its presentation and theme. LBP2 just capitalized on the brilliance of this game.

3) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Wanted to include an RPG, and it was a throw up between this and Oblivion. For it's time is was epic and is still terrifically influential, so instead of more contemporary RPG's like Mass Effect i'll go with this. (although i think Oblivion is a serious contender)

4) Portal ( both but more towards 2)- For its pure innovation. The story fits perfectly around the mechanic. such a clever and interactive aspect cannot go unplayed.

5) Goldeneye (N64)- Because it revolutionized the FPS, and i'm hard pressed to find one that i have truely enjoyed as much as this one. Modern Warfare and BLOPS don't even come close. And it is the ONLY good movie tie in, so it gets points for that too.

William Ossiss

Apr 8, 2010
1) Doom (The daddy of 3D FPS's, and still fantastic)
2) COD Modern Warfare - especially the multiplayer (The game that spawned one of the most popular FPS franchises today, see how far we've come, and experience online gaming)
3) Age of Empires 2 (highly influential Real Time Strategy game, also a lot of fun.)
4) Splinter Cell Chaos Theory(The best stealth FPS I have played, can be tense pulse racing, humourous and fun)
5) Mass Effect (Incredibly popular RPG)
your list seems too personal. games like Doom are too old for someone who has never played before. COD's multiplayer is so filled with trash talkers and assholes that anyone not prepared to mute everyone else, or ignore it, is doomed to either trash talk themselves or not like it at all. Not everyone would like to have to learn to micro manage on the fly... RTS' can be complicated.

anyway, what i mean is that you cannot throw someone into games like the ones you mentioned. you gotta get a feel for what they like. this is where having a large library of games and systems, older and newer, comes in great handy. you allow someone to peruse your titles, do what they want, then look at the ones they like and go from there. do they gravitate more toward pc titles? jumping puzzles? shooters? you just cannot have them play the five games you, I, or anyone else recommends.

Impluse_101

Jun 25, 2009
Age of Mythology
TLoZ: OOT
Star Fox Assault
Elite Beat Agents
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

To Actually introduce anyone into Gaming

Prince of Persia for the Xbox, not the movie tie in crap.

Greenhand

Jan 19, 2011
1.Oblivion or Morrowind (Good open fun, and they're a good way to get into modding, which is the future of gaming.)
2.Minecraft (It's so fucking charming! Look! Blocky sheep!)
3.One of the Civilization games. (I prefer 4.)
4.Legend of Zelda; Majora's Mask. (Better than OoT any fucking day.)
5.Eternal Ring. (I like the music, alright?)

foolish snails

Sep 1, 2010
1: Borderlands
2: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
3: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II
4: Assassin's Creed
5: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

ruben6f

Mar 8, 2011
1- Legend of Zelda the Ocarina of Time
2- Halo
3- Battlefield 2
4- Saints Row 2
5- Warlords Battlecry 3

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:
So... Call of Duty 1, United Offensive, 2, 3, and all the pre-CoD4 console ones don't exist? Compared to Call of Duty 2, CoD4 was just meh. The single player was a lot worse...
I know there were loads before Modern Warfare, and COD was heavily influenced by the Medal of Honor franchise, but Modern Warfare was the first of these to use a modern setting, with modern guns and modern er... warfare, which spawned MW's sequels, and I think influenced games like Bad Company, Homefront, Battlefield, Brink, not just in gameplay, but in the way to make multiplayer rewarding - experience, ranks, unlockable weapons, etc.

I just chose it because Modern Warfare is the go-to series for the multiplayer craze that has sprung up.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
There should be games from different eras of gaming, but I think a list should be specific to a genre. Saying that, here's my list for Role-Playing Games:

From the Atari ST/Amiga:
Dungeon Master

From the Nintendo Gameboy:
Mystic Quest/Final Fantasy Adventure (name changed depending on region)
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

From the Super Nintendo:
Secret of Mana
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

From the Playstation:
Final Fantasy VII

Of course there are many other must-play RPGs out there, but I would say those six were the Great Classics of Gaming.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
1. Dungeon Keeper
2. Command & Conquer: Red Alert
3. MGS(1-4) games
4. Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis
5. Total Annihilation

The last one was my personal preference because I couldn't think of anything else. The reason I mentioned the majority of these is to show people what they were missing in the golden days of RTS.

MGS because every installment I've played I have enjoyed, and I always still marvel at the gameplay, the graphical prowess of each game and the story (which can be downright wierd). What always sticks in my mind is the latter parts of MGS1 and the breaking of the fourth wall. Brilliant.

Special mention goes to Flashpoint which will make all those damn whiners about 'Ghost' and 'Cold Blooded' in Black Ops/MW2 realise that those things aren't the end of the world.

Sancrkf

Dec 6, 2010
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Chrono Trigger

Shadow of the Colossus

Final Fantasy X

Okami

Michael Hirst

May 18, 2011
This is completely my own opinion, some people might not LIKE these games.

1. Portal: chances are everyone HAS tried this game but its still great, the sequel is awesome too but it's just such a simple and elegant title, a good example of how videogames can make the player think.

2. Zelda: Everyone should play and win one Zelda game, personally I'd reccomend Ocarina of time but so many of them are great anyway. Zelda games are the definitive Adventure game, exploration, combat and puzzles are all finely balanced into an experience that can't be defined in simple words. Suffice to say the feeling one gets when finishing a Zelda game is good, it almost feels like finishing a good book.

3. Sonic the Hedgehog: I'd reccomend all 4 of the main Genesis/Mega Drive games in this slot but to keep it simple, the original game. Technology may have come very far and we may have fantastic new games but no child should have gone without Sonic. A basic game that relies on pure platforming to be interesting and it works, there's a fair level of challenge and is a superb way to introduce young children into videogames. (If you want this option can be replaced with Super Mario World but you get my idea)

4. Shadow of the Colossus: A very typical answer in threads like these but it's justified, the first game I played and found to be, for lack of a better word, beautiful, as a game it works on some of the most basic videogame psychology, you NEED to know what the next enemy is like. But on a deeper level it's such a gratifying experience with some of the most innovative/interesting combat in years.

5. Metal Gear Solid: The PS1 classic that blew open a whole new world of videogames to me, the first time I was compelled by a story in a videogame and took great interest in its plot. The gameplay was rather revolutionary at its time and the boss fights made for great pacing in the gameplay structure. However I would say out of the games on my list this is also the least universal, you have to be a fan of action and how MGS both follows and breaks its conventions, it was also the first game that really made me suffer the consequences of my actions, I originally got the bad ending which left me with a terrible feeling of what was almost guilt.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
FranBunnyFFXII said:
I can agree with Doom and Age of Empires
but the rest seem like a crap ass sales pitch and shoot me if you will but mass effect can go shoot itself callng its self an "RPG"

being someone who lives to play "RPG" games, Mass effect is a discrace especially the 3rd one.
REALLY a 3rd person shooter is an... RPG?
Dont kill me, just my opinion.

5 Games I think everyone should play.

5. Street Fighter(IV)
4. Amnesia The Dark Decent
3. Tales Runner
2. Pokemon(any one of the handheld series)
1. Portal
I have actually never played Mass Effect, which may be a little hypocritical of me to use it in this list, but I wanted to include a Bioware RPG, and I thought Knights Of The Old Republic may have been a bit too inaccessible to people, if you aren't interested in Star Wars, then you won't care for a Star Wars game. Mass Effect has got a lot of praise on this website, so I thought it would be better, but as I say, I have never played the game myself.

Also I like your mention of Portal, that is one I overlooked in my original list, but I haven't actually played it either, just heard good things about it on this website.

Polaris19

Aug 12, 2010
#1. Pong/Pac-man - I don;t need to explain why I hope
#2. Doom - Practiclly invented the FPS
#3. Final Fantasy VII - They just don;t make RPG's like this anymore.
#4. Mortal Kombat/Street Fighter - Fighting games two biggest franchises. Hard to pick, so pick one.
#5. Pokemon - Perhaps the most successful game series that doesn't start with the words
"Call of Duty"

Honorable Mentions:
Baulders Gate II - Western RPG's all bow down to this classic.
Halo: Combat Evolved - Shooters as we know them today don't exist without this game.

Pyro Paul

Dec 7, 2007
games that SHOULD be Played-

1- Doom. it started shooters. Hell... This game was used by the military as a Training aid way back when. even all these years it is an enjoyable game.

2- Half Life. One of the most successful examples of putting the player in the experience. It made you very much so feel so much more apart of the game... The start of the game being litterally going to work late was ingenious.

3- Dungeon Seige II. I know some people like the baulders gate or diablo games... but i just think Dungeon Siege II really pushed the dungeon crawler to what it is today. such a solid story ontop of the pure freedom the player has just is wonderful

4- Deus Ex. The most successful Action RPG Ever. Period. If you like RPGs and Shooters... this is your game.

5- Portal 2. Sure portal 1 was intresting and had you use a bit of wit... but the story, ambience, and atmosphere with portal 2 ontop of the absolute absurdity the game pulls is just awe inspiring.

COMBUSTABLE LEMON!!

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Okay, here we go:

Super Mario 3

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Bioshock

Persona 4

Starcraft

These aren't my top five games ever... but four of them are in my top ten.