5 Videogames everyone should play

Noswad

Mar 21, 2011
in no order.

Deus Ex, I've not seen that level of depth in a game since.
Rome Total War, The game I've probably spent the most time on
Freespace 2, probably not on my top 5, but i recommend it because we need more space combat.
Half life 2, a shining example for FPS's to inspire to be.
Minecraft, exploration is a mechanic rarely exploited in modern Videogames, minecraft captures it perfectly.

Honourable mentions

Lego rock raiders, my favourite childhood game
left 4 dead, because the world needs to learn to work together
Pokemon leaf green/fire red, i have never become more attached to any thing more in a videogame. I still remember you all Etna, Tesla, Scrambled, Poseidon, Rocky and Tiny

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
1) Ocarina Of Time - Still the best gaming experince I was lucky to be around when just released. Almost everything about the game is really well done, especially the game play, design and music. Those of you who mostly need a good story and interesting characters to be entertained won't find it here, but still give it go since I'm sure you want to find what all the halabaloo is all about. You don't want to spend the rest of your life wondering, do you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzhw_jxWJoU

Willst thou sour? Or willst thou suck?

2) Shadow of the Colossus - Another game with out a really interesting story or characterization, but still one hell of an experience. This is the game your looking for if you want to take on intimidating giants in a big beautiful landscape, so beautiful it leaves many with their mouths open. The horse is a bit of a pain to adjust to though.

3) Metroid Prime - Great design, textures, music, sound and game play all come together to make one of the best atmospheres ever. I would've said Super Metroid instead if it wasn't so difficult for the average gamer but they're both brilliant. I believe that Super Metroid is the best game on the SNES while Metroid Prime is the best on the Game Cube.

4) Total Annhilation - A really old RTS that was amazing for it's time. Possibly still one of the best out the genre. The first to go into more realistic movement and they managed to still make it have good play, way ahead of Starcraft even though Starcraft still managed to be a great game. Thing that kept me attached to Total Annihilation for so long was the unit creater, takes a bit of practise to understand how it works though.

5) Super Smash Brothers Melee - I'm pretty sure this can labeled a great game. It is far more easier to adjust to the smash brothers games than any other fighter (oh, and Powerstone). I choose Melee over the others because I just find the game play more fluent and free leaving you to pull of some amazing shit sometimes. Also, it has enough characters and options to keep you busy for awhile.

Heres a funny trailer that pulled me into the series - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K783SDTBKmg&feature=related

Mallefunction

Feb 17, 2011
Mine would be: (

-Bioshock
-Grim Fandango
-Portal (simply for the experience. I actually DON'T like the game, but the concept is just so friggin cool)
-Katamari (Any of them)
-Spyro the Dragon

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
No order. Games I have played and finished.

1.Chrono Trigger
2.Bioshock 1
3.Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
4.Mass Effect
5.Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic.

5 choices are to few...

Other games: FF 6, Witcher 2, Dragon Age: Origins, The Secret Of Monkey Island, Doom 2, Pokemon: Yellow, Psychonauts, Silent hill 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, Mario Bros, Mario 64, Shadow of the Colossus, God of War, Devil May Cry 3: Directors Cut, Persona 2: Innocent Sin, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (friends and family), City of Heroes/Villains (haven't played in years though), Resident Evil 4, Pac-Man, Metroid, and etc. You can tell I like story driven games the most.

Stoink

Apr 21, 2010
Sgt. Sykes said:
I'm surprised how many people recommend Half-Life.

Well let me put it this way. HL1 was good in 1998 and maybe in the following years. HL2, at least some people feel this way, was good in 2004.

Now, Half-Life series is shit. Ask almost anyone who got into the series just recently. The most obvious feeling about them is: meh. Or rather meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh.

Seriously, good game (or games, if you think) when it was new, but recommend it today? No.
i only played half life 2 at the beginning of this year and i consider it one of the best games ive ever played

HobbyJim

Aug 4, 2009
scnj said:
1. Whatever
2. interests
3. you
4. the
5. most

There are no 5 definitive games because it depends on the person. I've introduced some people through Assassin's Creed, others through Portal and Bioshock. It's literally down to the individual.
If there was a like button, id click it.

psicat

Feb 13, 2011
Well I can't narrow it down to 5 so here's my top 10 picks. Not in any particular order:

1. Planescape: Torment. Classic RPG and one of the best of the genre for narrative alone.
2. Final Fantasy VII. Great and still well loved JRPG.
3. Mass Effect Series. Great story and wonderful modern RPG.
4. Doom. The grandaddy of the FPS because while Wolfenstein 3D was first Doom refined everything it did and defined the genre.
5. Halo: Combat Evolved. Father of modern FPS and the start of a very entertaining series.
6. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Epic and definitive Adventure game.
7. Portal. Unique and well made puzzle game with a story.
8. Amnesia: The Dark Decent. For its wonderful atmosphere that makes it a great horror game.
9. The Last Express. Fantastic point-and-click adventure game with a complex storyline.
10. God of War. Engaging action adventure games and, for the first at least, a well written Greek tragedy hidden in a bloody quest for vengeance and absolution for sins of the past.

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
Let's see, a combination of introducing someone to gaming as a medium (wide variety, famous games) with relative ease so they're not pulling their hair out trying to beat the first level and getting turned off to it...

I suppose my list would be...

Super Mario Bros. 3
Pokemon (any version)
Street Fighter II
Tetris
Team Fortress 2

The list should really be longer, it's impossible to give someone even a small taste of the scope and history of gaming as a medium with only five games.

EDIT: I should note that only one of those games listed would be in my personal Top 5 games:

Zelda: OoT
Super Mario Bros. 3
Sonic 2
Dragon Age: Origins
Ace Attorney series

Apr 21, 2011
This list is only included with which games are currently out:
1. LittleBigPlanet 2 & Modnation Racers - Fun, creative and goes on forever!.
2. Saints Row 2 - Absolute freedom and awesomness!. Fun is what videogames should be.
3. Mirror's Edge - unique free-runner which is immensely fun to play and try to beat peoples scores on time trial.
4. Pinball - one of my all-time favourite games!
5. Air Hockey - just so I can beat you at it.

LooK iTz Jinjo

Feb 22, 2009
1. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
2. Super Mario Brothers
3. Final Fantasy VII/X
4. Bioshock
5. Halo: Combat Evolved
6. (Cos I'm different) Gears of War.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
These aren't in any particular order, just so you know.

1. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Between the classes, the graphics, the available weaponry, the destructible environments, the vehicles and the squads, it is a great example of a variety of FPS concepts.

2. Dark Cloud
A fantastic RPG with quick to learn mechanics with a nice gameplay progresion (weapons, characters, towns, enemies, etc). It is a good introduction for the various advantages of ranged and melee combat in RPGs, the art style doesn't require fancy graphics, meaning it still looks fantastic despite being an early-era PS2 game, it introduces the concepts of elements, has survival mechanics that are easy to learn, yet spell horror if not adhered to (breaking a weapon is a horrible experience). It has the basics of every mechanic introduced fairly early, meaning it isn't one of those "10 hours in is when it really gets good" games. Overall it is offers a wide-variety of concepts, at an easy to learn pace while still managing to offer a fair deal of depth and strategy.

3. Golden Sun
Another RPG, this game introduces turn-based combat and multiple character management, setting a decent foundation for any later gaming-ventures someone may take into party-RPGs or RTSs. Also, it can be played well without an in-depth knowledge, but greatly benefits from experimentation and thoroughness, making it a good choice for long-time gamers and new-comers alike.

4. MarioKart (newer is probably better)
MarioKart.

5. ... Okay, let me think. I have FPS, RPG, Racing, an RPG that includes a tangent to RTS tactics because an RTS isn't exactly a genre that everyone should play, given the tendency for a horrifying difficulty curve ... ... what genre have I missed??? Platformer! That's what I missed! InFamous.
I know it isn't a platformer, but it is a Sandbox (which I missed), and it has climby-jumpiness, so it is sort of platformer-ish. Either way, a good game that introduces the Karma system, the third-person shooter, the 'skill screen' for buying abilities, the joy of side-missions, etc. So it does cover a lot of the bases I missed in some small way, and it is a good game in its own right (also a great example of what a super-hero game should be).

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
Games that every one must play?
1 Super mario bros (Believe it or not, five years later more than 3 million gamers would not know about mario)
2 Legend of zelda OoT
3 DOOM
4 Metroid
5 Pitfall

Now here are the five games that I believe everyone must play.
1 Thief
2 Chrono Trigger
3 E.T. (the game isn't that bad. In fact it is better than most of shit on Atari 2600)
4 Metal Gear Solid
5 X-Com Ufo Defense (just so that people are familiar with this thing and shun the reboot)

jakeblues1295

Jun 6, 2011
For me they would have to be
1) Half Life (1 & 2)
2) Super Mario Bros.
3) Any of the games made by Bethesda Softworks (basicly The Elder Scrolls series and Fallout 3)
4) Portal (at least the first one preferably both)
5) Psychonauts
6) Final Fantasy X

Had a hard time deciding between 5 & 6