50 Americanisms That Brits Apparently Hate

Mr. Brightside

Nov 19, 2009
Flig said:
Xanadu84 said:
Flig said:
46 is making me question the pronunciation of the letter Z. Can anybody explain to me the "proper" pronunciation of it, since this person seems to claim that it isn't "zee." I'm fucking confused here.
Brits pronounce Z "Zed". 99% of differences in language are just taste and circumstance, but throwing in an arbitrary D sound just doesn't make any sense in about the most objective fashion I can imagine.
I don't even...
That doesn't even...
What?
Why?

Please, somebody who is british, explain how the fuck that makes sense. I mean I know it comes from the Greek zeta, so it makes sense based on the origin, but...I don't know, I guess I like my letters to sound like they do in the words they're used in...
Well the French letter 'Z' is pronounced 'zed' and they both come from Zeta and then Latin

AkaDad

Jun 4, 2011
As an American, I don't like the use of 24/7, because in most cases, it doesn't make any sense. Saying the Secret Service protects the President 24/7 would be proper, but saying I've been working, partying, reading, gaming, studying, or whatever 24/7 is virtually impossible. Supposedly God couldn't even make it past 24/6.

Mr. Brightside

Nov 19, 2009
Bags159 said:
Mr. Brightside said:
I'm Scottish and I have only ever heard people say "train station" I don't even know what else could be used (railway station perhaps, but it is a station for trains not railways.)

Also, it is ZED, end of discussion.
Zebra = Zedebra? Genuinely curious.

All in all that list sounded like a bunch of whining. Grow up and get a hobby if shopping cart really bothers you.

I do agree with the last one though.
No, obviously not. It is not Zeebra, it is Zebra, as in Zed without the d.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
There should be a list of England-isms, too. I mean, why call it maths if you're only talking about one kind of math?

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Half of the list I've never heard at ALL uttered by intelligent Americans (no that is not an oxymoron...), the rest are pointless nitpicks and based on the assumption that every phrase ever uttered in English was coined by the Brits and corrupted by the Americans.

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
...I've never even heard half of these things, like "an half hour." Who the hell says that?

Numero uno really makes me mad though, as do other wrong sayings people misunderstand because they're too bloody dumb to understand double negatives

you ain't seen nothing yet - you have seen something so far.

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
Only the brits get angry at the english language.
but with some things it is nessesary to correct like the phrase
"can you hold the fort"
not
"can you hold down the fort"
THE FORT IS NOT GOING TO FLY AWAY! or are we hiding in a bouncy castle?

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
Mr. Brightside said:
Bags159 said:
Mr. Brightside said:
I'm Scottish and I have only ever heard people say "train station" I don't even know what else could be used (railway station perhaps, but it is a station for trains not railways.)

All in all that list sounded like a bunch of whining. Grow up and get a hobby if shopping cart really bothers you.

Obviously not? You put a fucking D in the pronunciation of "Z". Pardon me, but I generally pronounce my "D"s.

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
kaveradeo said:
How is Z supposed to be pronounced if its not zee?

Edit: above post answered me
"In most dialects of English, the letter's name is zed (play /ˈzɛd/) reflecting its derivation from the Greek zeta but in American English, its name is zee (play /ˈziː/), deriving from a late 17th century English dialectal form."

'Zed' trumps 'zee' for both its widespread usage and acceptance, and also for its accuracy in reflecting its root 'zeta'. ;)

But it doesn't matter. English doesn't belong to anybody. It's a global language and it's living. Most native non-American speakers only get annoyed with Americanisms in English because they feel oppressed by them. They are everywhere, TV, movies, books, but not because of merit or worth but because of economic power.

So "how is 'Z' supposed to be pronounced if not as 'zee'?" is exactly the kind of question that sparks off indignation from many non-Americans. Obviously, 'Z' is pronounced the way that the majority of speakers in a culture agree, which means it's relative.

Yet, this list, despite being lighthearted, is perpetrating the same linguistic absolutism the writers perceive Americans to perpetrate. Half the 'golden rules' and 'standards' in English are the result of compounded errors, misunderstandings, erroneous back-formation and ill-advised aesthetics (really, applying Latin rules to English? Let's apply Chinese ones, shall we?).

Did you know, for example, that 'an apron' was originally 'a napron'? We still use the terms 'napery' and 'napkin'.

Jnat

Feb 1, 2010
50. "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less" has to be the worst. Opposite meaning of what they're trying to say. Jonathan, Birmingham
Oh god this, I've always been so confused by it...

Mibelle816

Jul 21, 2011
We could never have a list of brit-isms that bug Americans because we just dont know any! We're just not as exposed to your culture as you are to ours. I went to England for 2 weeks in 2005, and I just couldn't help thinking that a lot of the things said were adorable sounding, because it was just so different.

Actually, when I was a kid I read a book series that was written in the UK and had a glossary in the back so we could understand it. "Sellotape" was one, and so was "fringe." Sellotape I understand because over here we call it Scotch tape, as an insult to Scottish people (Apperently, it got its name after a customer complained that 3M was manufacturing its masking tape too cheaply, and told company engineer Richard Drew to, "take this tape back to your stingy Scotch bosses and tell them to put more adhesive on it.")

Otherwise all I know is what I learned from Harry Potter and watching Doctor Who and reading the Daily Mail online (because I have an addiction to trashy news like that). That and the "Wheelie Bin" joke. Your guys terms are just not well known over here...I had to google to find out what a "WAG" was a few weeks ago. And I didnt know fortnight until someone pointed out that it was bi-weekly in this thread. And until this thread, I thought that "Zed" was just something that Canadians said. Do you not sing the alphabet song as kids? Does it just not rhyme at the end?

Mr. Brightside

Nov 19, 2009
Bags159 said:
Mr. Brightside said:
Bags159 said:
Mr. Brightside said:

Obviously not? You put a fucking D in the pronunciation of "Z".
And you add an extra e!

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
Mr. Brightside said:
Bags159 said:
Mr. Brightside said:
Bags159 said:
Mr. Brightside said:

Obviously not? You put a fucking D in the pronunciation of "Z".
And you add an extra e!
I'm not denying that. But we actually pronounce the extra "E".

UberNoodle said:
'Zed' trumps 'zee' for both its widespread usage
Widespread my arse. I've never heard of this. >:|

Canned Spam

Feb 28, 2011
I hate American English, but these people are overreacting. I agreed with some of them (like alphabetise), but most of them are extremely petty, or simply don't exist at all.