50 Americanisms That Brits Apparently Hate

Sariteiya

Jun 10, 2011
Oh no! Evolving Language! Call the authorities!

Seriously though, "Shopping Cart"? If this is the biggest of their concerns, they need to get out more.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
I couldn't even finish all those fucking things. This isn't funny. It's just a list made by a bunch of people that are way, way, way, way, WAY to fucking picky, or just don't understand the idea of "cultural differences".

Mr. Brightside

Nov 19, 2009
Bags159 said:
Mr. Brightside said:
Bags159 said:
Mr. Brightside said:
Bags159 said:
Mr. Brightside said:
I'm Scottish and I have only ever heard people say "train station" I don't even know what else could be used (railway station perhaps, but it is a station for trains not railways.)

Also, it is ZED, end of discussion.
Zebra = Zedebra? Genuinely curious.

All in all that list sounded like a bunch of whining. Grow up and get a hobby if shopping cart really bothers you.

I do agree with the last one though.
No, obviously not. It is not Zeebra, it is Zebra, as in Zed without the d.
Obviously not? You put a fucking D in the pronunciation of "Z".
And you add an extra e!
I'm not denying that. But we actually pronounce the extra "E".
And we pronounce the d, except in Zebra

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
Mr. Brightside said:
Bags159 said:
Mr. Brightside said:
Bags159 said:
Mr. Brightside said:
Bags159 said:
Mr. Brightside said:
I'm Scottish and I have only ever heard people say "train station" I don't even know what else could be used (railway station perhaps, but it is a station for trains not railways.)

Also, it is ZED, end of discussion.
Zebra = Zedebra? Genuinely curious.

All in all that list sounded like a bunch of whining. Grow up and get a hobby if shopping cart really bothers you.

I do agree with the last one though.
No, obviously not. It is not Zeebra, it is Zebra, as in Zed without the d.
Obviously not? You put a fucking D in the pronunciation of "Z".
And you add an extra e!
I'm not denying that. But we actually pronounce the extra "E".
And we pronounce the d, except in Zebra
Oh, okay. Zedebra sounds baller though.

Draitheryn

Jan 20, 2010
I admit there's hundreds of reasons why the world can't stand Americans, but this list is very nit-picky. A lot of the replies to this thread from Americans, however, have definitely put them back in their place.

Sep 14, 2009
Mr. Brightside said:
gmaverick019 said:
Mr. Brightside said:
gmaverick019 said:
Mr. Brightside said:
One pronunciation that really annoys me, is H, as Aitch, I mean WTF?
....how the hell do you pronounce "H" ?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/H
Woops, I meant Haitch!
...still, how do you pronounce the letter "H" ?
Aitch.
I have never heard a single American pronounce the letter "H" with an actual "H" sound, did you not check that link? hit the play button and it CLEARLY says "Aitch"

Draitheryn said:
I admit there's hundreds of reasons why the world can't stand Americans, but this list is very nit-picky. A lot of the replies to this thread from Americans, however, have definitely put them back in their place.
put them back in there place...

how so? since apparently you are so high and mighty of the cultural differences police, please, tell me.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Booze Zombie said:
Wasn't really getting defensive, most of this list confuses me anyway, probably due to being from Oklahoma where most of those phrases aren't used or only sound like that cause we have a hard time pronouncing some things.

Ok, maybe the last bit is over exaggerated, but I digress

Mr. Brightside

Nov 19, 2009
gmaverick019 said:
Mr. Brightside said:
gmaverick019 said:
Mr. Brightside said:
gmaverick019 said:
Mr. Brightside said:

Woops, I meant Haitch!
Aitch.
I have never heard a single American pronounce the letter "H" with an actual "H" sound, did you not check that link? hit the play button and it CLEARLY says "Aitch"

Draitheryn said:

how so? since apparently you are so high and mighty of the cultural differences police, please, tell me.
That is because I wasn't talking about Americans.

sketch_zeppelin

Jan 22, 2010
While i can understand and in fact agree with some of these issues, it seems like they're taking offense with the fact that we have coined our own version of English. Its no worse than the New Zeland or Austrailan versions of the language and if they're of the mind that all forms of English are inferior to the home grown variety than they can fuck right off.

Language, for better or worse, evolves or it dies.

Besides we have to do somthing to cope with the fact that we'll never have those sexy accents you devilish bastards

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
As said elsewhere in this thread, the people making that list seem to be incredibly picky. More than half of those, I have never encountered in my entire life of living in America.

Not to mention, people should just be able to accept cultural differences.

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
Draitheryn said:
Yes, apparently broad generalizations make you a better person than us Americans.

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
gmaverick019 said:
Mr. Brightside said:

Mr. Brightside said:
gmaverick019 said:
Mr. Brightside said:

Woops, I meant Haitch!
'Haich' is very common in Australia but not in England, it seems. I was brought up on my ingrained Australianism by many British speakers, and as I am an English teacher, I changed. The official pronunciation of the letter is unchanged.

As for the pronunciation of the letter in words, well, it depends largely on where those words came from. Generally, 'h words' of Anglo Saxon origin use a 'hard h'. Many words imported from French, Norman and Latin use 'soft h', thus reflecting the original language.

Any changes beyond that are the result of English being a living language. Did you know, for example, that the word 'miniature' originally referred to the elaborate chapter pages and starting characters of handwritten books. These used a red pigment derived from the mineral 'minium'. Thus, this illustration was called 'miniature'. Later, because of the fine and tiny detail of these designs, the word changed meaning to 'very small' especially in comparison to a larger version ('miniature poodle').

Imagine if we'd had the Net back then! Flame wars galore! But this kind of change is the nature of a living language.

Mibelle816

Jul 21, 2011
How do you think we pronounce H? Aitch is what I would say. I live in Michigan, however, and cant speak for the south.

Hey, did you know that in the South they call all soft drinks "coke"? I guess I shouldnt complain because we call it "pop" here.

Zeriah

Mar 26, 2009
Fixing to is the most hilarious Americanism. Usually with these types of American sayings I at least can understand or guess what they are talking about, but I had to have it explained thoroughly to me to even understand what it meant and I still don't get the logic. I guess a word meaning repair somehow means 'getting ready' over there.

GrindBass

Jun 7, 2009
All going well, nothing I would use myself but whatever I'm not bothered and then this

Shock and Awe said:
50. "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less" has to be the worst. Opposite meaning of what they're trying to say. Jonathan, Birmingham
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEECOULDJUSTDOESNTMAKESENSEYOUTWATS

Guess eveyone just has little things that they come across that just piss them right off.

Sep 14, 2009
Mr. Brightside said:
gmaverick019 said:
Mr. Brightside said:
gmaverick019 said:
Mr. Brightside said:
gmaverick019 said:
Mr. Brightside said:

Woops, I meant Haitch!
Aitch.

Draitheryn said:

That is because I wasn't talking about Americans.
then who were you talking about in the original post about the letter "H"?

because apparently you said that you pronounce it "Aitch", in which I confirmed through my own use of the letter and the link I provided that in America we say "Aitch" also. I'm still curious as to what is different and who says it differently..

theshadavid

Nerrrrrrrd
Aug 10, 2009
We have a large body of water separating us, QED, we have some cultural differences. Get over it. I don't mind when Brits say "rubbish" or "loo" instead of "garbage" or "restroom."