Resident Evil Creator: JRPGs Never Popular In the West

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Resident Evil Creator: JRPGs Never Popular In the West

Shinji Mikami, creator of Resident Evil, doesn't think that the JRPG is declining in popularity in the West - he thinks that it was never popular to begin with.

The Japanese game industry has been going through a little bit of a crisis of self-examination lately, and said crisis is perhaps perfectly exemplified in the state of the JRPG. Once upon a time, the Japanese RPG was ubiquitous, and during the era dominated by the PlayStation and PS2 seemed to be one of the more popular genres.

Recently, though, JRPGs have increasingly come under fire for being outdated. In December, BioWare co-founder Greg Zeschuk blamed the genre's fall from grace as a result of "a lack of evolution" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96980-BioWare-Co-Founder-Accuses-JRPGs-of-Stagnation]: "They kept delivering the same thing over and over. They make the dressing better, they look prettier, but it's still the same experience."

However, Resident Evil creator Shinji Mikami has a different outlook on the matter. Speaking with CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=250381], Mikami said that he believed that aside from a handful of exceptions, Japanese RPGs hadn't ever been big over in the West in the first place. "I think it is because Japanese RPGs were really never all that popular in the west to begin with," said Mikami. "I think the best way of interpreting things is that they aren't getting less popular; they weren't very popular from the start."

Even if we do have fond memories of games like Xenogears [http://www.amazon.com/Chrono-Trigger-Nintendo-DS/dp/B001E27DLM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276194215&sr=8-1], the guy might have a point. The West adores Final Fantasy, but that series does seem to be an exception rather than the rule: When was the last time you heard anybody in GameStop talking about the new Dragon Quest?

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Playstation Network Sales of Final Fantasy VII, VIII and IX say otherwise CAPCOM, plus there is a fanclub in my school dedicated to Persona, which is a J-RPG I believe! Now stop trying to bad mouth your own company for being in Japan. Your in there, now make me an amazing Devil May Cry 5!

Calumon: And me a sandwich!

Oh and Funk,

John Funk said:
When was the last time you heard anybody in GameStop talking about the new Dragon Quest?
The First time I walked in. I asked for Persona 4 and they were talking about the release date for Dragon Quest in England. Then again when I went in they were saying that they hoped they could get it when I went to get Just Cause 2. Both from the hell hole known as GameStop in Birmingham. :p

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Lack of evolution is one thing, but what else do people hate about JRPGs?

-Linear-as-hell no-frills stories.
-Story-based (characters have no impact on game world).
-Androgyenous characters.
-Underage characters.
-Anthropomorphic characters (AKA furries. Nothing personal, it's just a pretty small demographic.).
-Annoying side-quests (is there something that says "this game will not get made without a card-collecting minigame" or something?).
-Brooding/angsty characters (What the hell do they have to be down about, THEY CLEAVE DRAGONS IN HALF! If I one-shot a dragon, I would go around the nearest town claiming to be made of nothing but adrenaline, masculinity, testosterone and the blood of God himself, then (ripping off Yahtzee) I would proclaim myself a monster truck that walks like a man!).
-Annoying, arbitrary love story (I think Final Fantasy VIII was where this first showed up, the stupid arbitrary romance subplot. And it's always the same, it's always the brooding angsty guy and the pathetic co-dependent chick that get together.).

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
He makes a decent point actually; Final Fantasy is the only one I hear talked about to any great extent, and it's the only one I've played (next to Legend of Dragoon, which was awesome).

So, maybe the games, for the most part, never were all that popular. However, I still agree that the noted "lack of evolution" could definitely be playing a part. It's the reason I stopped at FFX.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I dont think thats the case at all...I think it has been poplular, and it has been loved...but, as mentioned above...

Lack of Evolution.

Whilst other series have changed and made themselves more appropriate for the times, JRPG's seem to have stayed in the same forumla. Although a good formula it does need to be updated to reflect the times

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
i agree. i absolutely hate jrpgs. the characters are awful, the mechanics arent fun (for me anyway), and the characters are awful! (as you can see, the characters kill it for me)

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Final Fantasy is probably the only exception. Most people know FF7 and either FF8 or FF9. The PS2 owners know of FF10, heard of FF11, and try to forget FF12. If you owned an older system, FF1, FF2, and FF3 come to mind, and on the hand-helds we know of FF4 as well, and FF5 and FF6 if you own final fantasy anthology for the PS1.

That being said, beyond the big ones (Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy, Earthbound?) no, people don't like JRPGs that much. I remember my friends going gaga over Lost Oddessy and Last Remnant, but after watching a few battles, I realized I have no interest.

So, yeah... Beyond the real popular ones, I guess they're right. We have no vested interest in JRPGs and from what I can tell from Demon's Souls, Japan doesn't like Western RPGs that much either.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
JRPGs did, indeed, used to be huge. It was the only kind of RPG people really put their time into. However, the point has been made, that there really has been no evolution in them, aside from real-time seeming battle systems and prettier maps. Hell, they've taking the open world aspect of them, and made them extremely linear experiences. Why do you THINK the popularity has faded?

Eventually, people get sick of seeing the same overdone pre-pubescent characters. It's just the way things tend to move.

Tales of Golden Sun

Dec 18, 2008
The Great JT said:

-Underage characters.
-Anthropomorphic characters (AKA furries. Nothing personal, it's just a pretty small demographic.).
-Annoying side-quests (is there something that says "this game will not get made without a card-collecting minigame" or something?).
-Brooding/angsty characters (What the hell do they have to be down about, THEY CLEAVE DRAGONS IN HALF! If I one-shot a dragon, I would go around the nearest town claiming to be made of nothing but adrenaline, masculinity, testosterone and the blood of God himself, then (ripping off Yahtzee) I would proclaim myself a monster truck that walks like a man!).
-Annoying, arbitrary love story (I think Final Fantasy VIII was where this first showed up, the stupid arbitrary romance subplot. And it's always the same, it's always the brooding angsty guy and the pathetic co-dependent chick that get together.).
It's understandable that people don't like the things you just listed. The only thing is, jRPG fans LIKE linearity, NEED the story-basedness (if that's a word), DON'T CARE about androgyenous characters, WANT sidequests, and LOVE an arbitrary love story. The whole reason I don't like wRPGs is the non-linearity, the good-neutral-bad choices and the macho heroes. I for one don't care if it's popular or not, as long as people will continue developing them.

I really think that the broody-angsty hero thing is just a Final Fantasy thing. People need to realize FF is not the ONLY jRPG series out there. And the fact that someone that isn't macho doesn't mean they're angsty either.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
The Great JT said:

-Underage characters.
is linearity really a bad thing? I honestly love linearity, I do like sandboxes and stuff but it gets boring after awhile, plus do people always want to have a say in the story. When I make games none will have character choices, so does that mean the game will be bad?

UnusualStranger

Keep a hat handy
Jan 23, 2010
I'm pretty sure a majority of it is lack of evolution. First person shooters have become actually quite varied from its DOOM days, and puzzle games have become quite varied, platformers have evolved with more challenges, and even sports games have been changed (By the Wii, mostly)

What has changed in JRPGs? Many of the characters just fill stereotypes that appear in each game, still having random encounters that nothing can be done about, still only being able to level up by killing things in random encounters....

Things just have not changed.

HOWEVER, perhaps they have never been as popular because they don't usually show up over here in the west. Chrono Trigger, Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy.....That is all I can think of over here. I'm willing to bet over in the East there are hundreds of JRPGs, most which are probably awesome, but never made it over here, so how can I like them if I never even see them?

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
On PS2 I owned more JRPGs than any other single genre. This generation has been slim pickings though. I have 1 JRPG on my PS3 (FFXIII) and really want Grandia IV!

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Yes, the genre never really became hugely popular in the west until Final Fantasy 7 was released with a massive marketing campaign that would shame most modern games. No other Japanese RPG series has had the same investment in the brand or been as lucky with sales. Also, the only "western" RPGs that were successful on a similar scale are by Blizzard which many RPG purists would also turn their noses up at. The genre is just not as popular with regular gamers as things like action adventure, driving or sports. If you read only forums for opinions you would think that things like Star Wars KotOR were the second coming but for many people they don't register on the map at all or they buy them because they are Star Wars fans then don't like them because of all the silly conversations and the "pointless dice rolling combat."

Freshman

Jan 8, 2010
I would say that the lack of evolution is the problem. once or twice, all the angsty characters and totally detached storylines are ok, but what they're on like the 13th or 14th one now? I can't take that for more than 2 games, much less 10. Maybe if they actually changed it for FF XXXVII, but i dont see how one dedicated fanbase is keeping the series afloat for long enough for them to figure out how to change it.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
I personally can't stand JRPGs and don't personally know anybody that can, but I had the impression that a fair number of people like them from what I've seen on the web.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
The Great JT said:

-Underage characters.
This sums up my feelings, pretty much, on JRPGs. They just arent my cup of tea.

Artemus_Cain

May 20, 2009
While I disagree thet "JRPG's were never popular." I do agree that most suck and the finger can be pointed to the vastly overrated and HORRIBLE Final fantasy 7.

Jul 22, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
John Funk said:
When was the last time you heard anybody in GameStop talking about the new Dragon Quest?
The First time I walked in. I asked for Persona 4 and they were talking about the release date for Dragon Quest in England. Then again when I went in they were saying that they hoped they could get it when I went to get Just Cause 2. Both from the hell hole known as GameStop in Birmingham. :p
Basically this... not in the gamestop but the CEX across town, when i did work exp there they were always talking about Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest or mocking the wii... good times.