Priest Trailer Shakes the Glitter Off Vampires

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Priest Trailer Shakes the Glitter Off Vampires

Good-looking, angsty vampires not your thing? Well, how about some monstrous, murdering ones instead?

What do you get if you mix Mad Max with Deadwood and Blade? Well you might end up with something a little like the upcoming movie Priest, where well-armed clergymen fight monstrous vampires in a post-apocalyptic world which shares more than a few similarities with the Old West.

According to its plot synopsis, Priest tells the story of a famous warrior priest, played by Paul Bettany, who is forced to take up arms again when his niece is abducted by vampires. Along the way he joins forces with his niece's boyfriend, a young wasteland sheriff, and a mysterious warrior priestess with "otherworldly" fighting skills. Priest is very loosely based on a Korean comic of the same name, although according to fans of the comic, "loosely based on" means "totally different from."

The post-apocalyptic Western vampire hunter angle could be really interesting and the trailer showcases some pretty varied actions scenes. Priest also stars Maggie Q and Karl Urban, and is scheduled for release on May 13th 2011.

Source: Blastr [http://blastr.com/2010/07/watch-the-new-vampire-kil.php]

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Whatever happened to originality? Why do people keep using cliches like vampires or werewolves?

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Looks like people are desperately trying to bring vampires back from the brink of mediocrity. This looks alright, I'll have to hear more though.
Speaking of hearing, quite a lot of common sound effects in the trailer XD

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
This looks like a fun movie to watch. Im just such a sucker for post-apocalipctic worlds..the setup is so awesome :D
and the effects looked rly nice too.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Read one or two of these when I was about 14. It's nice that they've kept the 'Western' vibe for the film, but I preferred when the protagonist had long hair. That's all I have to say. Probably won't be seeing this, as it looks about as well-written as the manga, which wasn't very.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Oh.

Hell.

Yes.

These guys V The Twilight vampires, take your bets now...

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Yep, definately totally different from the original Korean Manga, but something tells me a Priest who sold his soul to a powerful demon to get revenge on a rogue angel wouldn't go over so well with North American Audiences. Unfortunately it also lacks the cool aesthetic of the comic and well... pretty much everything else... still looks like it might be worth a heckle.

GoGo_Boy

May 12, 2010
Looks pretty bad.
And thanks to this trailer we've probably seen about 90% of its action sequences. No more need to watch it :s

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
A post-apocalyptic desert-driving macho-man movie crossed with a western crossed with "Blade" with the vampires from "I Am Legend" sprinkled in?

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
...although according to fans of the comic, "loosely based on" means "totally different from."
Doesn't it always, doesn't it always...

OT - Those aren't vampires! See how they look nothing like humans? See how it shows a scene of a "pack" of them tearing a human apart? See that bit where they run around naked without eyes? If Twilight Vampires aren't vampires, this lot certainly aren't!

It still looks fun, but they couldn't have called them "demons", or "monsters", or pretty much anything else?

traineesword

Jan 24, 2010
yep, this is absolutely nothing like the Priest Manga... its only really taken the name and thats it, the plot of Priest is out of the window. ah well, i don't mind, basic principle seems to be the same, by that i mean there is a guy who is ridiculously bad-ass, killing hordes of undead because of something to do with a women and fighting other badass priests. except this movie seems to be set in the future (rather than the past), the protaganist doesn't appear to be Ivan Isaacs, the man who sold his soul to an evil God, and theres none of the bullshit about God being evil/not nice to his angels/his angels becoming gods.

urgh, my fanboyism is hurting though... they've just taken the title and circular-cross logo from Priest and then american directored it until its completely unrecognisable. an ironic and unjust end for an old west based manga.

wait, so Prince of Persia, a real-person movie based on a game came out... and now a Korean Manga ("based") real person movie... something odds happening.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Huh, so basically the entire theme is taken from Loaded Bible: Jesus Vs Vampires.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
I kind of like the guy at 1:00.

I don't like the vampires. They look like random monsters, not humans.
All in all, it seems mediocre and general...mmm. Hopefully it proves me wrong.

And of course it's in 3-D.

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
AngelSword said:
You had me sold for this?until "In 3-D" showed up.
Why? You can watch it in 2D if you'd like.
The rest of us can enjoy it properly, but the Luddites always get a choice.