New DS Title Asks You to Play Two Games Simultaneously

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
New DS Title Asks You to Play Two Games Simultaneously

Could you handle a DS game where the second screen wasn't a mere map or inventory monitor, but an entirely separate adventure?

This trailer for upcoming DS puzzle platformer/shooter Fractured Soul looks pretty bland and dull ... for about fifteen seconds or so. Then it shows the other screen, and my mind begins to hurt.

Many DS games merely use the system's second screen as a convenient menu/map/inventory. Some actively make both screens part of the game - one screen controls what's going on, the other screen displays the action. Fractured Soul takes it a step further by having both screens involved in the action, only it's different action.

From what I can tell from the trailer, Fractured Soul bends the Nintendo standard Light-World-Dark-World concept (or, the Ikaruga Principle, if you would) into rapid-fire time. You can only interact with items and be hurt in the screen of the game that is currently active, but your doppelganger on the other screen repeats all of your actions.

The only trouble is that the two screens feature entirely different levels, and you'll need to be keeping track of both to know if you're switching into safety or just digging yourself a bigger hole.

Ow, my brain.

(via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5598309/can-you-play-two-ds-games-at-once])

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Reminds me of the combat in The World Ends With You

That hurt my brains as well.

Jeez

Snowden's Secret

Apr 4, 2010
Wow. That actually looks rather interesting. Let's just hope it actually works well in practise. Oh, and love the Ikaruga reference!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Talk about some crazy co-ordination skills! Wow...impressive!

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
Sounds easy and straightforward to me. Still I'm quite interested. It's a bit like The World Ends With You.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Reminds me of some Kongregate game, can't remember what it was called, but that had a similar system where there were multiple rooms that looked different, and you had to control characters to solve puzzles where they all moved at the same time but you could only interact with one screen at a time (the trick in that game was to find the switches to remove the other screens so your passage wasn't blocked anymore).

Anyway, sounds like a very interesting concept, and though I don't often play the DS it seems like something I should check out :D.

DragonsAteMyMarbles

You matter in this world. Smile!
Feb 22, 2009
Damn, that hurts. It's a really good idea, and could be great fun if you can get into it, but it's a bit too close to doublethink for me to be able to discount a world-domination conspiracy.
They's soft'nin' us up, they is!

CrankyStorming

Mar 8, 2010
There's a downloadable game for the DSi called Mighty Flip Champs that is just like how this looks to be shaping up.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Trivun said:
Reminds me of some Kongregate game, can't remember what it was called
Hello Worlds, pretty good game that was.

This looks like it would hold my interest for longer though.

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
that would make my brain want to twitch for the first 30 minutes of game play.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
TheGreenManalishi said:
Deofuta said:
Reminds me of the combat in The World Ends With You

That hurt my brains as well.

Jeez
Exactly what I was thinking. It's why TWEWY sucked balls.
I know, that's the reason I never played the game again after the first fight with the second character but this looks like it might actually work. It's just switching between the screens and not trying to do two bloody fights at the same time.