New DS Title Asks You to Play Two Games Simultaneously

10BIT

Sep 14, 2008
This game has already been done under the name Chronos Twin:

Also why are people complaining about TWEWY being too complex? All you had to do was mash left for a while, then mash right, not that difficult.

Piflik

Feb 25, 2010
Wicky_42 said:
Anyone seen this totally sweet little indie title called Excellent Bifurication [http://www.allegro.cc/depot/ExcellentBifurcation]? Vertical scrolling spaceship shooter, but with two separate screens simultaneously, with different enemy attack patterns on each XD You could get killed on either screen (which makes it WAY more hardcore than this, lol)... never did get any good at it though heh.

It's only a short competition entry, but it rocks if you like that sort of thing.
Finished it...sadly it has only 4 lvls...but yeah...it is really hard, but helps you train using both brain-hemispheres separately.... ;)

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
That actually looks like a really interesting mechanic. It looks mind-bending, but I'm guessing once you get past the first hurdle of controlling it, it'll become more natural and easy, and simply awesome. I'll keep my eye on it for sure.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
That's a whole new dimension to the platforming thing. Sure, it might have been done before in some way, but this is my first exposure to it. I'm not sure if I'd be able to do it. I mean, eventually I'd get the hang of it, but that seems like a lot to keep track of and if the levels aren't pulling their punches, then I could imagine this getting downright brutal. I'll try to keep an eye on it, maybe pick it up some time later on.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
That looks really cool. Finally, a good use for both of the DS's screens. I just hope that it won't end up like crap, though.

nik3daz

Jan 1, 2008
Looks like a hardcored up version of something from Kongregate. So many great ideas there, I guess one was bound to get used in some proper game.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
Wow thats some crazy shit. Kinda reminds me of Portal. Also, Fractured Soul is like, the greatest name possible for this game.

Mr. Gency

Jan 26, 2010
I'm trying to find a browser game much like this, but I'm having trouble. I blame the fact that I can't remember what it's called.

It's a platformer.

Chunko

Aug 2, 2009
John Funk said:
New DS Title Asks You to Play Two Games Simultaneously

Could you handle a DS game where the second screen wasn't a mere map or inventory monitor, but an entirely separate adventure?

This trailer for upcoming DS puzzle platformer/shooter Fractured Soul looks pretty bland and dull ... for about fifteen seconds or so. Then it shows the other screen, and my mind begins to hurt.

Many DS games merely use the system's second screen as a convenient menu/map/inventory. Some actively make both screens part of the game - one screen controls what's going on, the other screen displays the action. Fractured Soul takes it a step further by having both screens involved in the action, only it's different action.

From what I can tell from the trailer, Fractured Soul bends the Nintendo standard Light-World-Dark-World concept (or, the Ikaruga Principle, if you would) into rapid-fire time. You can only interact with items and be hurt in the screen of the game that is currently active, but your doppelganger on the other screen repeats all of your actions.

The only trouble is that the two screens feature entirely different levels, and you'll need to be keeping track of both to know if you're switching into safety or just digging yourself a bigger hole.

Ow, my brain.

(via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5598309/can-you-play-two-ds-games-at-once])

That looks seriously epic. If I ever get a DS I'm buying this.

Aisaku

Jul 9, 2010
As someone who enjoyed TWEWY I've got to say that it's not as bad as it initially seems. You don't really need to watch the upper screen as much as remember the patterns needed, and even then you can mostly wing it and still manage to get things done. The real fight was on the bottom screen with the stylus. And once you've got enough variety of powers you can even plan around the time it gets a bottom spell to grab a couple pattern sequences in the upper screen. It is doable, and it is enjoyable. It is not mainstream friendly I suppose.

EDIT: To be mildly on topic I'd say the game looks good, and the mechanic is promising. What I can't really get behind is the character design... it's like they wanted to make Samus, but not Samus.

Thick

Feb 10, 2009
As bad as I would probably be at a game like that, it is good to see something that actually needs the second screen instead of a game that could just as easily be on one screen.

berault

Nov 5, 2009
Only problem I see with this is that you wouldn't be able to use the touch screen part, at least not as much, with arguably half the game occurring on the part of the hand-held that is not touch screen.. I'm just saying.