New DS Title Asks You to Play Two Games Simultaneously

Zebag

May 23, 2010
There is already a DSiware game like this. Difference is though that the characters are always on both top and bottom screen so you have to pay even closer attention. Oh ya the game is called Chronos Twins

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
That really didn't look too difficult. The gameplay they showed was really simple and repetitive. Neat idea though. I am officially intrigued.

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
That's quite frankly the silliest employment of the DS's two screens I've ever seen.
Put it on my want list.

Still, not quite as bad as manually doing all the combat in The World Ends With You, where you could have two full fights at once.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
Wow, didn't realize there was so much hate for TWEWY's combat. I personally found it fun and refreshing.

This looks like an awesome idea, but I'm not going to put too much of my hopes into it; this studio also made a post-Insomniac Spyro game.

4RT1LL3RY

Oct 31, 2008
I thought TWEWY wasn't that hard to do, once you got a certain characters attack patterns memorized it was easy. It was mostly repeatedly hitting the right arrow on the dpad. Black planet set was awesome.

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
John Funk said:
New DS Title Asks You to Play Two Games Simultaneously

Could you handle a DS game where the second screen wasn't a mere map or inventory monitor, but an entirely separate adventure?

This trailer for upcoming DS puzzle platformer/shooter Fractured Soul looks pretty bland and dull ... for about fifteen seconds or so. Then it shows the other screen, and my mind begins to hurt.

Many DS games merely use the system's second screen as a convenient menu/map/inventory. Some actively make both screens part of the game - one screen controls what's going on, the other screen displays the action. Fractured Soul takes it a step further by having both screens involved in the action, only it's different action.

From what I can tell from the trailer, Fractured Soul bends the Nintendo standard Light-World-Dark-World concept (or, the Ikaruga Principle, if you would) into rapid-fire time. You can only interact with items and be hurt in the screen of the game that is currently active, but your doppelganger on the other screen repeats all of your actions.

The only trouble is that the two screens feature entirely different levels, and you'll need to be keeping track of both to know if you're switching into safety or just digging yourself a bigger hole.

Ow, my brain.

(via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5598309/can-you-play-two-ds-games-at-once])

Poor Funk. If you need a shoulder, you'll only have to ask. (I'm kidding of course)

Pretty cool concept and it look challenging for all the right reasons. It's a shame that i pick PSP over DS... but i still can download my show on it and listen to my 3gig of music...

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
I can't see what's so hated with TWEWY's combat either, considering that you can ask the game to mash the left or right button for you.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Now that is why we love Nintendo, and it looks to be the classic reasons--innovation, great platforming, and probably hard as shit. Exactly what we want, no?

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
SteelStallion said:
Whoever's playing in that trailer is fucking amazing, man. That looks really cool.
nobody's playing it's not a real game just a movie DISGUISED as a game.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Anyone seen this totally sweet little indie title called Excellent Bifurication [http://www.allegro.cc/depot/ExcellentBifurcation]? Vertical scrolling spaceship shooter, but with two separate screens simultaneously, with different enemy attack patterns on each XD You could get killed on either screen (which makes it WAY more hardcore than this, lol)... never did get any good at it though heh.

It's only a short competition entry, but it rocks if you like that sort of thing.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Mind = fucked

This is a great concept, up there with Portal in original platforming concept.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Wow. That looks really interesting.

And I don't see why it's getting all the comparisons to To World Ends With You. TWEWY had DIFFERENT action on each screen at the same time, which had to be controlled seperately using 2 completely different control schemes. This game is much simpler, it only requires you to keep an eye on the other screen so you know when to flip down to it and you only have to control a single character with what looks like a very simple controld scheme (move, jump, shoot).

death525

Aug 29, 2009
wow play online games much
I swear Ive played about 5 games just like this on notdoppler and addictinggames
still i guess a more polished version of that would be interesting