Rare Fansite Gets In Spat With Rare, Shuts Down

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Rare Fansite Gets In Spat With Rare, Shuts Down

After offering 10 years of support to Rare, the MundoRare fansite has shut down partially due to the existence of Kinect Sports.

After first opening its doors all the way back in 2001, Rare fansite MundoRare has shut down. This is more than just a case of not wanting to pay server bills anymore though, as the website's operators were planning to shoot a documentary covering Rare's entire history, but were denied access.

MundoRare had planned to film the documentary in HD on-site at Rare's offices in England and were going to release it for free on the internet and through Xbox Live. Rare denied permission to film not because it didn't want a bunch of sweaty Rare fans in its offices, but because it thought the documentary wouldn't be "on message."

Despite the decent amount of criticism that Rare had been getting from much of the videogame industry since being purchased by Microsoft, MundoRare says it was never unfair to Rare and continued to support the company while exploring its development history. Apparently, MundoRare's first and only negative response to a Rare project revolved around Kinect Sports [http://www.amazon.com/Kinect-Sports-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0JBVY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1280415276&sr=8-1], which was used as an argument against the documentary.

MundoRare says of the film project: "It was a risk-free operation to be carried away with all legal safety measures deemed necessary and full of good intentions. It simply makes no sense. It has changed our perception of Rare forever and leaves us with no other option but to end our support for them."

In the closure announcement, MundoRare took the gloves off, saying Kinect Sports is: "Not only as an uninspired response to Nintendo's success, but also as a major turnabout that collides with the interests of our website. As a game targeted to casual players, its audience doesn't include our readers or us. Naturally, if that's the path Rare wants to follow from now on, we can't go along with them."

In Rare's defense, nobody at MundoRare has played Kinect Sports yet, so I'm not sure they have full justification to criticize the company about the game, even though it is obviously Nintendo-inspired. However, when even your fansites even stop giving you support, something might be going wrong.

Source: Destructoid [http://mundorare.com/news/2010/07/mundorare-closes/]

HTID Raver

Jan 7, 2010
lol well i cant say im too thrilled about the game either. :p

but wait... the website closed down becaude of that ONE game?! wtf!

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
A shame that such long-time fans feel forced to stop supporting the company.

Personally I gave up on them years ago, though.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Heh.

I like the new Rare just as much as the old Rare.

From "Nuts and Bolts" to "Viva Pinata". These games emphasize PLAYER creativity. A rarity in the industry.

Kinect Sports...I'll wait for an in-store demo to pass judgment.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Does Rare even make good games anymore? Viva Pinata was ok but apart from that?

All the people that helped on Goldeneye, Blast Corps, Jet Force Gemini have long gone havent they?

JediMB said:

Also this

KaZZaP

Aug 7, 2008
However, when even your fansites even stop giving you support, something might be going wrong.

Had to point this out.

OT Rare sucks?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I have to admit I am not too incentivised from the sort of Kinext sports...it just sounds like an excuse to add more for the gimmick crowd..

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
i will never lose hope in rare (doesnt mean ill buy kinet sports) but i will always believe a new banjo game will come out or perfect dark.

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
Rare today is nothing but a hollow shell of its former glory. All the original people that made the company what it is are gone. When Nintendo dropped them like a hot potato, only for MS to snatch them up, I honestly thought they were crazy. But seeing as they haven't made a good game in a long time, obviously Nintendo knew exactly where they were headed.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Geez, what a bunch of cry-babies.
I swear, nothing is so pathetic as a bunch of whining gamers who don't get their way.

The company you've been huge fans of, supposedly, for 9+ years releases a game you aren't fond of, you want to make a documentary that might slant against the direction the company is going, and you're surprised when they say 'no'? And then you shutdown the long-time website in a juvenile final 'F-U' post?

Grow up.

Apr 28, 2008
Pipotchi said:
Does Rare even make good games anymore? Viva Pinata was ok but apart from that?

All the people that helped on Goldeneye, Blast Corps, Jet Force Gemini have long gone havent they?

JediMB said:

Also this
And Pefect Dark.

Most of the people who worked on Goldeneye and Perfect Dark went on to form Free Radical, which made the damn-near perfect Timesplitters games.

Sure, there are a few gems coming from Rare every now and than, but its glory days are gone.

But honestly, just because the company doesn't make a game you want to support doesn't mean you should up and quit forever.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
Dorkmaster Flek said:
Rare today is nothing but a hollow shell of its former glory. All the original people that made the company what it is are gone. When Nintendo dropped them like a hot potato, only for MS to snatch them up, I honestly thought they were crazy. But seeing as they haven't made a good game in a long time, obviously Nintendo knew exactly where they were headed.
I have to agree. Rare's games of the mid-to-late 90's were absolutely phenomenal, but after the release of Conker's Bad Fur Day there wasn't much to ride on. The more recent Perfect Dark was nothing compared to what the original was.
Demented Teddy said:
I.
Want.
A.
New.
Conker.
/sigh
Me too.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Wow, they support them for a decade and Rare basically tells them to just fuck off? At least the website Duck and Cover (Fallout, and Interplay fans) got an easteregg about them in Fallout 3... (The skill book for small guns was called Duck and Cover. See?) What the hell is up with Rare? They're not even that great of a company anymore, they were just lucky to even have a dedicated fan base left. Well, so much for that.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
I'd take those Rare fans to task for condemning a game they haven't actually played yet, but then I remember the game is called Kinect Sports and realize there is literally no way they could possibly be wrong about it. Seriously, it's called "Kinect Sports" - if you expect anything other than a collection of sport-related mini-games aimed at casual gamers, you are hopelessly naive.

So no, I can't blame them for dismissing it before actually getting a chance to play it, as there isn't any reason they need to have hands on experience with a title named Kinect Sports to dismiss it offhand - you can tell exactly what you're going to get from a title named that.

Crolley

Jun 4, 2010
I can understand them being a little disappointed that they didn't get to do their documentary (though I think they should have expected that, realistically), but shutting down the site over one game? They're being a little pissy, aren't they?

I know Rare hasn't exactly been spinning their old magic for awhile now (in this Average Joe Gamer's opinion, at least), but is ten years of support really worth ending over Kinect Sports?

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Its odd that this happened and we all know why it happened, MundoRare thinking its giving a finger to corporate marketing, they think they have the higher ground but sorry fella's, you don't.

Irridium said:
Most of the people who worked on Goldeneye and Perfect Dark went on to form Free Radical, which made the damn-near perfect Timesplitters games.
Also Free Radical is now Crytek UK, maybe you'll get a new Timesplitters made with the CryEngine "a fast paced monkey avatar brick throwing game that looks better then real life!".

(whitty name here)

Apr 20, 2009
There really hasn't been a good rare game to come out in forever.

Nuts 'n Bolts was good, but it was more of a spin off then a sequel.
Perfect Dark Zero wasn't as fun as Perfect Dark, though i only ever played the multiplayer for them since I never actually owned one.
AND WHERE THE HELL IS A CONKER GAME?

Infernoshadow211

Nov 18, 2009
Baby Tea said:
Geez, what a bunch of cry-babies.
I swear, nothing is so pathetic as a bunch of whining gamers who don't get their way.

The company you've been huge fans of, supposedly, for 9+ years releases a game you aren't fond of, you want to make a documentary that might slant against the direction the company is going, and you're surprised when they say 'no'? And then you shutdown the long-time website in a juvenile final 'F-U' post?

Grow up.
I don't think you get it. The thing is that Mundorare openly supported the group, but they just didn't like Kinect Sports. This documentary would've shown them in a brighter light and gave them good PR. So it's weird to be shooting down their biggest fans just because they had a gripe about one of their games.

I mean if you can't voice an open opinion without losing respect with the company that you support, then it kinda gives you doubts about how good you thought the company was.