Rumor: Microsoft Tinkering With 360 D-Pad [UPDATED]

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Rumor: Microsoft Tinkering With 360 D-Pad [UPDATED]

Your virtual street fights might soon become a little easier as Microsoft is reportedly tweaking the 360 controller's d-pad with fight fans in mind.

As good as the 360 controller is, the d-pad has always needed a little work. Most of the time it's not a problem, but for certain games - fighting games especially - it can be frustrating to use. If rumors are to be believed, however, the days of being able to (legitimately) blame your loss on the controller may be coming to an end, courtesy of Microsoft's hardware department.

According to a "trusted source," Microsoft is working on an Xbox 360 controller with a d-pad that will raise a quarter of an inch when rotated ninety degrees. This modification is said to be aimed specifically at fighting game fans. Unfortunately, the source didn't say whether the change is intended to become the new standard on 360 controllers or if it's going to be limited to special, promotional items like the controller brought out in Europe for Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 [http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Evolution-Soccer-09-Playstation-3/dp/B001DTSW2K/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1283248482&sr=1-1].

2D fighting games are enjoying something of a resurgence at the moment, so an updated d-pad will be a blessing for many. With a number of high profile titles like Marvel vs. Capcom 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-vs-Capcom-Worlds-Playstation-3/dp/B003IEBO9Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1283248423&sr=8-1] and the new Mortal Kombat [http://www.amazon.com/Mortal-Kombat-Playstation-3/dp/B003O6E1JS/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1283248453&sr=1-1] on the horizon, this seems the perfect time to give that aspect of the controller some attention.

UPDATE: The rumor has solidified into fact. In a post on his blog [http://majornelson.com/archive/2010/08/31/new-xbox-360-wireless-controller-featuring-a-transforming-d-pad.aspx], Major Nelson revealed the new controller and demonstrated its transforming d-pad in a short video that you can see below. The matte silver controller will only be available with the Play & Charge kit, and will cost $64.99 when it's released in the US on November 9th. It won't be available in Europe until February however, and the price will likely vary from country to country.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/30/rumor-microsoft-prepping-new-xbox-360-controller-with-improved/]

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Ive never had the D-pad get in my way in a fighting game but I supose its their product so they can do whatever they want. Personally I love the thing as it is now, just feels good in my hands, and im not paying another 60 bucks for a wireless controller with nothing changed but a higher D-pad.

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
Thank God. Using that thing whenever I'm at a friends house and playing their 360 tends to get me killed.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I don't use the d-pad on the 360 often, and good thing too; it always felt just a few millimeters out of the comfortable range of my thumb, and even when I got there it felt too chunky to use properly. I don't play fighting games much, but if they're a genuine issue therein, then good on Microsoft for addressing it.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Kinda cool, but fairly pointless. Still, could be nice for novelty value!

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
The newer 360 controllers have a far better d-pad - more floaty than the clunky 8 directional of the original.

Still needs improvement though, so I can certainly understand the appeal of this kind of update.

JaymesFogarty

Aug 19, 2009
Yes! Finally, I can spend more money on a new controller that does what it should have done when the 360 came out...
Seriously though, isn't it a little late? The PS3 controller has had those clip-on things for two or three years now!

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Unless height corresponds to responsiveness, I don't see how this is good news. Aside from the PSP 1000 D-pad, the 360's pad is the most useless. After that I'd say the PS2 controller because of how firm the pad is. At least with that I can still get it to do what I want, but my thumbs get sore.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
It only took what? Five years of bitching? Way to be on top of things Microsoft.

Withall

Jan 9, 2010
Hmh... how long did it take for the XBLA to establish itself? And with it, the retro 2-D fighting games? Before one bitches too much, let's gnaw on that for a while.

Though, I agree- Microsoft took waaay too long to adjust something that should have been good from the start.

ArchBlade

Pointy Object Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2008
I've had one or two problems with the D-pad, but nothing major. >.> I honestly don't even have that many games that use it other than CoD, in which the worst thing that can happen is that I switch to night vision for a split second before I activate whatever killstreak perk I just got.

As for fighting games, BlazBlue doesn't use the D-pad. I'm fine, thanks.

Tears of Blood

Jul 7, 2009
What...? I mean, I don't play a lot of fighting games on the 360, so maybe I don't get it, but what the HELL is raising it a quarter of an inch supposed to do, and what, exactly, is wrong with it now?

Also, I would think this would be one more thing that's breakable on the controller. o_o "Oh no! I can't raise my d-pad up! *Pays out the wazoo to get it fixed*"