The 3rd Birthday Doesn't Mean to Turn You On, Says Square Enix

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The 3rd Birthday Doesn't Mean to Turn You On, Says Square Enix

Square Enix says it didn't set out to make the upcoming game The 3rd Birthday [http://www.the3rdbirthdaygame.com/] "erotic" but if gamers take it that way, well, that's just the way it goes.

The vicious beasts threatening humanity aren't the only ones to suffer at the hands of Aya Brea, the heroine of The 3rd Birthday, an action-RPG set in the Parasite Eve [http://www.amazon.com/Parasite-Eve-Playstation/dp/B000038ABO/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1283802467&sr=1-1] universe. Her wardrobe apparently takes a beating too, shredding in fine Captain Kirk style to reveal ever-greater portions of skin as she bravely fights on. But it's not an attempt to draw in young, overly-hormonal teenage gamers with some sort of latter-day Strip Poker, according to Final Fantasy producer Yoshinori Kitase. It's just the reality of what happens to people's clothes when they battle evil.

"You may actually find some of the features erotic or sexy. But that's not our intention, really," he told Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-06-3rd-birthday-not-intentionally-erotic]. "For example, Aya, as she continues to fight, sometimes what she's wearing gets ripped and torn to reveal more of her skin, which lots of gamers may find quite sexy."

"But we didn't do that because we wanted to show her in a very sexy light. It's more like that's reality," he added. "If you keep fighting obviously you'll get ripped and damaged and injured and wounded. So we just wanted to make it plausible and realistic. That's all."

Plausible and realistic, and that's all? I haven't been in a fight since grade five and while I was only squaring off against a jerk named Chad rather than world-rending evil, I distinctly recall that strategic nudity did not result. Is it possible that Kitase's true intention here wasn't to deny the eroticism, but to highlight it? Surely not.

The 3rd Birthday is being developed exclusively for the PSP and is scheduled to come out in Japan in late 2010 or early 2011 in Japan, followed by a worldwide release later in 2011.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Hahaha. Awkward eroticism in Square games? Never!

It's kinda clever to highlight it like this. The strategic female clothes 'disappearance' quite an anime thing to do, anyone remember Soul Calibur 4?

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Really? Clearly World War 2 was doing it completely wrong. You're supposed to blow their clothes off, not their heads.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
For the PSP? Wow.

But on a lighter note, boobies do help games sell. If she has got a nice set of knockers and shows some skin, then you know the game will atleast (and sadly) sell copies on that note alone.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Don't know about you but I don't find wounded chicks erotic.
Blood is kind of an anti-boner so far as I'm concerned.

Kelethor

Jun 24, 2008
You know, We should use that in sexual harassment cases.

"Im sorry Your honor, After Miss Bernice came into work after being mauled by that bear, I couldn't help but stare. Her outfit had been torn to shreds"

Tomtitan

Jun 7, 2010
Reminds me of this:
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=85

And, of course, by extension, reminds me of Prince of Persia: Sands of Time.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
All I know is I am stoked to see another Parasite Eve, and cannot wai to play it!

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Reading those quotes just cracked me up. Hilarious.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
So i assume if they are going to lie to us like that, that in this game inbetween battles, she will find some form of replacement clothing? Of course not that realism means we must pay more money to people...

Thats kinda like telling someone that showers were meant for sex scenes instead of getting clean.

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
"Just so you guys know, Aya will lose some of her clothes over the game. You'll probably find this sexy, but that definitely wasn't our intention. So yeah, just letting you guys know."

To clarify, I don't find the tattered clothing silly, but the way they're trying to bring attention to it certainly is.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Well then why isn't she wearing armor? If you're going to fight something that is going to directly attack your body (and thus rip your cloths) why not wear some body armor to prevent, you know, your flesh from being torn. I mean its not as if these attack will glace off the skin, they should do major damage to her body if they are tearing her cloths. If its just wear and tear then why isn't she wearing something more durable? Do these people just manufacture cheap easily destroyed cloths or something? This doesn't make any sense as an actual reason. If you're going to B.S. your way out of trying to show some skin come up with a good reason.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Hmmmm.

Not sure if serious.

If she doesn't have cuts gashes or other wounds from the attacks that rip her cloths off then this is all BS.