Chill-Inducing Extended Halo: Reach Trailer Fights to the Last

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Chill-Inducing Extended Halo: Reach Trailer Fights to the Last

This extended version of the live-action "Deliver Hope" trailer for Halo: Reach shows that even a lost cause can sometimes be worth fighting for.

If you caught the first version of the "Deliver Hope" trailer late last month [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103047-Live-Action-Halo-Reach-Trailer-Depicts-Spartan-Sacrifice], then you know how this live-action short ends. But while the extended version of the trailer may not clock in at the Master-Chief-homage time of 1:17, it's also significantly more powerful. We get to see more of the Battle of Reach as imagined by a live-action director, and it's seriously epic stuff.

Ever since the Battle of Reach was first mentioned in the instruction manual to Halo: Combat Evolved, we've known how it ended: Reach falls. When the player joins Noble Team next week, they're joining a lost cause - the planet falls, the Covenant win, and the Spartans die.

But as this trailer depicts, even a losing battle is worth fighting. It's incredibly well done, and it's enough to make you want to just call in sick ahead of time.

I have to say, the live-action spots for the Halo games have been truly stellar. The ODST trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100479-Halo-3-PS2-Ads-Make-25-Most-Epic-Ads-List] didn't disappoint, either. They go a long way at establishing the gravitas of the Halo universe, and take a valiant stab at reminding gamers that the series is about more than 12-year-olds teabagging you on Xbox Live.

(Via VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2010/09/08/deliver-hope-extended-trailer-for-halo-reach-released/])

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Damn it! They are just like the Gears of wars trailers. Just want me to buy them and play them.

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
I'm not into the HALO franchise, but these game trailers are still one of the best things on TV at the moment. Dammit, it's enough to tempt me to pick up a copy of 3, seeing as it's about £8-10 most places preowned.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Evilsanta said:
Damn it! They are just like the Gears of wars trailers. Just want me to buy them and play them.
Damn, thats what I thought too haha Commercials like these always make me want to just go out and buy the damn games that are being advertised. Live Action videos of video games that are well done like this are always of epic proportions. This does not disappoint. The shorter version on TV has tempted me so many times to go pick up this game.

WINDOWCLEAN2

Jan 12, 2009
A note to any big film company:

Watch the Halo Live Action Vids.
MAKE A HALO BASED MOVIE!

With all the trailer footage (which is rather amazing) they already have roughly a quarter of the film done for them already.

Well done Bungie....Its been a good 10 years of games.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
HOLY SHIT! Just when i got the message of a quote the commercial is shown on the TV (short version). And damn it i really want to try them out but i dont have enough money.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Say this on tv a day or too ago. I thought it was advertising a Halo themed sports game at first.

Still, it's a pretty good trailer, even if as usual not indicative of actual gameplay.

Anti-Robot Man

Apr 5, 2010
I find the advertising for all the Halo games a little odd, it seems kind of split brained going for these very dramatic and kind of serious trailers, when the gameplay is very fun and brightly coloured. Even within the games there's this wierd contradiction of the choral chanting music that plays at the menu screens then the kind of goofy multiplayer. This is not an attack I like the Halo games a lot, I just find combining these elements a little strange.

I find the same with Gears of War and any attempt to give it gravitas, the game is so gloriously over the top with a paper-thin storyline that anytime they try to be serious for a moment I just find it ammusing (I love Gears too).

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
Nice trailer. Not gameplay. Doesnt mean the game will be good/bad, it just mean they got good marketting.

The Root Beer Guy

Apr 1, 2010
I have high hopes and great excitement for Reach. Hopefully this will be the dark and sad Halo we've been waiting for.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
John Funk said:
They go a long way at establishing the gravitas of the Halo universe, and take a valiant stab at reminding gamers that the series is about more than 12-year-olds teabagging you on Xbox Live.
Aren't these ads the most sincere part of the Halo franchise?

And tea-bagging is an art, don't try and denounce it's value!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
So epic. Had a chill down my spine...now the release just needs to get here!

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
I wish they got whoever works on these advertisements to help with the actual game development. They always make the games seem so much more dramatic than they really are.