Chill-Inducing Extended Halo: Reach Trailer Fights to the Last

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I recommend reading the Fall of Reach before playing Halo Reach. I've been reading the novels since they came out and it adds so much to the games and the stories.

Casimir_Effect

Aug 26, 2010
I wish I knew that the game would be that awesome. But my heart tells me it'll probably have a campaign that can be finished in easily under 10 hours and otherwise focuses on winning multiplayer back from Modern Warfare games.

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
If this is intended to be canon, this can't be on Reach. Kat's got no bionic arm. Maybe this is how she loses it...though you can't tell from the last shot of her as her arm seems just fine.

But either way, as judging from the previews at the start of the game, people have no clue the covvies are already on Reach.

Seems to me this might be how the original Noble-6 died, prompting your character to be called in to fill up for him, and so to the start of the game.

Looks good.

EDITED IN:

unabomberman said:
If this is intended to be canon, this can't be on Reach. Kat's got no bionic arm. Maybe this is how she loses it...though you can't tell from the last shot of her as her arm seems just fine.

But either way, as judging from the previews at the start of the game, people have no clue the covvies are already on Reach.

Seems to me this might be how the original Noble-6 died, prompting your character to be called in to fill up for him, and so to the start of the game.

Looks good.
Halo's story has always been decent, at the least. But it is always around the periphery of the games as there is not that much plot in them, and they mostly consist of: go from point A to point B. Rinse and repeat. Which is good for a game but not for telling a story.

ODST toyed with character moments and actual plot development, so hopefully we'll see a more coherent form of that in Reach. Here's hoping.

CapnDork1337

Oct 16, 2008
GothmogII said:
Say this on tv a day or too ago. I thought it was advertising a Halo themed sports game at first.

Still, it's a pretty good trailer, even if as usual not indicative of actual gameplay.
No you got it all wrong, it's secretly a Nike commercial.

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
Stubee said:
John Funk said:
Ever since the Battle of Reach was first mentioned in the instruction manual to Halo: Combat Evolved, we've known how it ended: Reach falls. When the player joins Noble Team next week, they're joining a lost cause - the planet falls, the Covenant win, and the Spartans die.
Thanks dickhole. We havent all read the books you know. I knew Reach fell but the spartans could of survived.

A-grade reporting there buddy
Dude, that's like whining because someone told you Darth Vader was Luke's father. Stop being a jerk.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
I hope that the actual game carries more gravitas to combine adrenaline and battle frenzy through chaos in a fight for hope. I did not like Halo 2 or 3 much because I found them lacking a special something, so I really would like to see Bungie finish off with an epic title.

If the game disappoints, I will have to accept that at the very least Halo would make a terrific live-action movie.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Stubee said:
John Funk said:
Ever since the Battle of Reach was first mentioned in the instruction manual to Halo: Combat Evolved, we've known how it ended: Reach falls. When the player joins Noble Team next week, they're joining a lost cause - the planet falls, the Covenant win, and the Spartans die.
Thanks dickhole. We havent all read the books you know. I knew Reach fell but the spartans could of survived.

-Statute of limitations on these things, pal.
-You know in the games that Chief is the last Spartan.
-If you haven't played a Halo game before, why are you interested in Reach?
-Calling staff "dickhole" is a no-no.
-Could have.

bojac6

Oct 15, 2009
Stubee said:
John Funk said:

Uhh, they specifically call the Master Chief "The Last Spartan" several times in Halo and Halo 2. It's considered common knowledge of the series that everybody died on Reach and you're expected to know that coming into the game. All the marketing materials describe it as a last stand. This isn't any spoilers or anything. No need for you to be all snippy about it.

CapnDork1337

Oct 16, 2008
Stubee said:
unabomberman said:
Stubee said:
John Funk said:

Dude, that's like whining because someone told you Darth Vader was Luke's father. Stop being a jerk.
And if someone told you that before you watched star wars then yeh you would be pissed moron
Chill out. He's wrong anyways. They didn't all die. As of between halo 2 and 3 I think there is like 5 or 6 spartans still alive other than MC

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
CapnDork1337 said:
Stubee said:
unabomberman said:
Stubee said:
John Funk said:

And if someone told you that before you watched star wars then yeh you would be pissed moron
Chill out. He's wrong anyways. They didn't all die. As of between halo 2 and 3 I think there is like 5 or 6 spartans still alive other than MC
See, that's actually book-only information that I was trying to avoid spoiling :p

Alandoril

Jul 19, 2010
Not G. Ivingname said:
Wow...

Man...

Why do the commercials have to be so much more touching then the actual games?
Generally because they have a much tighter narrative structure and are built for the very specific purpose of investing players in the game.

Most games these days, especially games like Halo, seem designed to have a campaign that is only there to add ten or so hours of playtime before/after/during the multiplayer experience.

CapnDork1337

Oct 16, 2008
John Funk said:
CapnDork1337 said:
Stubee said:
unabomberman said:
Stubee said:
John Funk said:

See, that's actually book-only information that I was trying to avoid spoiling :p
But does that even apply? None of these spartans are from the books. Well maybe six is. Man, what if the last level takes place on that big covie ship in the book, and you turn out to be like, William i think? the guy that beats the hunter to death with his hands and a grenade so mc can blow the place up!

Zap Happy

Mar 28, 2010
I don't get Halo. It has these epic trailers and epic universe filled with brave soldiers and emotional moments, but it's gameplay is about a giant man hitting midget aliens with a shiny purple gun, while useless marines stand around getting in the way and dieing. Granted, I love Halo, and I do mean love, but there's such a huge change in tone between the trailers and the game.

kintaris

Apr 5, 2010
Anti-Robot Man said:
I find the advertising for all the Halo games a little odd, it seems kind of split brained going for these very dramatic and kind of serious trailers, when the gameplay is very fun and brightly coloured.
This is exactly my concern with the idea of a Halo film. Sometimes I feel Halo doesn't know what it wants to be.

more OT: That's a mighty big budget they used there for something largely irrelevant to the game. But I shouldn't be cynical - already one of the above posters has admitted that seeing it makes them want to buy Halo 3, even though they've never had an interest in Halo before (and even though this footage has nothing to do with the gameplay).

So, begrudgingly: Well done, Bungie and Co. And a shot in the eye for those who say rendered trailers are annoying and redundant - even a live-action trailer can inspire people to buy and to play, and that's obviously not what the game looks like, no matter how dumb you are.