Blockbuster Fizzles Into Bankruptcy

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Blockbuster Fizzles Into Bankruptcy

In a move that probably isn't surprising anyone, Blockbuster Video has filed for bankruptcy.

Despite the fact that Blockbuster Video recently <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102702-Blockbuster-Muscles-In-On-GameFlys-Territory>announced its new mail-order system for videogames, its financial future <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.225154-Blockbuster-Bankruptcy-Looms>still seemed to be on shaky ground. It seems that the predictions made last month were right-on, seeing as how the company has officially filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

Up to this point, Blockbuster has been facing over $900 million of debt. Now that it's filed for Chapter 11, Blockbuster revealed that it plans to turn itself over to creditors, as well as reduce its debt by approximately $100 million when it comes out of bankruptcy next year.

The company has also revealed that it plans to close up to 800 stores; this is on top of the 1,000+ stores it's already shuttered. At the moment, though, around 3,300 stores are still operating around the country and employs over 25,000 people.

According to CEO Jim Keyes, this is "the optimal path" for the company.

"At this point it might be too little, too late," Mary Ross Gilbert, a managing director at Los Angeles-based investment bank Imperial Capital, told the Wall Street Journal. "They needed to take their mail-subscription business and evolve it to a streaming service. They needed to enter into consumer-electronic arrangements-it's not as pervasive as it should be. Why did they wait so long and stay on the retail platform instead of evolving with the rest of the world?"

Blockbuster's management might be being a little too optimistic about how the company's going to turn itself around. Even if it can shave $100 million off its debt, that still leaves $800 million to go, as well as the problem that a lot of people don't really want to go to its stores any longer.

Source: <a href=http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB10001424052748703384204575509331302481448-lMyQjAxMTAwMDIwMzEyNDMyWj.html>The Wall Street Journal

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
DAMN YOU NETFLIX!

I love Blockbuster..... Why can't Netflix just leave us alone? LEAVE US ALOOONE!

Benmonkey7

Jun 15, 2010
Darn, I liked Blockbuster. Oh well, I don't rent games nearly as much anymore so I guess it doesn't matter to me much.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Look at the bright side: liquidation sales if there's still a store near your location.

the protaginist

Jul 4, 2008
NOOOOOOO!

Now how will I play whatever games as soon as they come out!?

I've have to buy them like everyone else.

Well Blockbuster, if that store down the road from me closes, you guys aren't getting that copy of Reach back.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
The Austin said:
DAMN YOU NETFLIX!

I love Blockbuster..... Why can't Netflix just leave us alone? LEAVE US ALOOONE!
Because it's just so gosh darn convenient and cheap. :D
vansau said:
Look at the bright side: liquidation sales if there's still a store near your location.
Ooooo.. Good point. I hope my local Blockbuster goes away.

Logic 0

Aug 28, 2009
vansau said:
I can't wait for that liquadtion sale then.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
ehh blockbuster isn't threatened up here in canada, until we get an equivalent to netflix. Sorry blockbuster I was in the states for 2 months with netflix and for 10 beans a month and nearly unlimited selection of films on my xbox instead of 5 bucks a rental, yeah I think I'd just get netflix.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
vansau said:
Ooh, good call.

I'll abuse that one.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
vansau said:
But BB has no DS games.

I tried to get a job there several times, now I'm glad I was able to find work elsewhere.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
NOOOO! Now where will I rent movies and video games? Okay, I can probably get them from Netflix, but STILL...

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
It's always sad to hear about an all powerful business becoming Bankrupt and dieing. I was sad when Circuit City closed down all of it's shops (To be replaced with hhgregg), and I am sad here.

But, that's how capitalism works. It's not like all rentals are going down hill, just real life ones. Sorry Blockbuster, but you didn't play the game. We'll all miss you, and remember you as the Fore Father of Video Rentals.

Foxbat Flyer

Jul 9, 2009
holy shit, i didnt even know they were in financial troubles... Ohwel, companys cant be around forever... and its too easy to 'Rent' online now

Diligent

Dec 20, 2009
Good riddance! Last time I was in Blockbuster, I tried to buy a game. Darksiders to be precise. It was the closest place to buy it and I was feeling lazy. The clerk said to me, "Darksiders? Really? Have you played it?"
"No" I replied.
"Well what if it sucks?"
"Huh?" I said, slightly confused at the line of questioning.
"Yeah, what if you hate it and it's terrible?"
"Then...then I guess thats a risk I'm willing to take as a consumer?"

Turns out this was a poor opening to discuss the store credit sell-back program, and he wouldn't ring up my shit for like 10 minutes. It ended with,
"Well I'll tell you what, before you go, if you REALLY don't like the game and feel that it was a waste of your money," (really, he said this) "and you bring it back here by 7:00pm, I can get you $25 store credit."

I said, "Well 7:00 is in 7 hours, and I just paid $50 plus tax. $25 for a 7 hour rental? yeah that sounds fucking awesome." and then I left and have never been back.
[sub]I'm approximating prices because I don't remember.[/sub]

I know they're not a game shop, but every time I go to a blockbuster around here it's like they have no clue what customers want these days.