Blockbuster Fizzles Into Bankruptcy

yakapoe

Nov 30, 2009
Yeah, I haven't gone to a Blockbuster in over seven years. They just weren't competitive with their prices. It wasn't Netflix that killed them, they were killed by other similar rental stores. There was no reason to go when a place down the street had the same thing for a few bucks cheaper.

Apr 28, 2008
Well, this is what happens when you fail to adapt.

Granted it kind of scares me too, since my store isn't exactly doing so great. Its not near failing, just not doing as good as it could be.

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
Too bad, because in most of Canada streaming services are unavailable, and due to the cost of internet unfeasible. Rogers video is it I guess.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
Most of the BB stores around here already did the liquidation thing last year, since they've been collapsing in on themselves ever since Netflix came on the scene, though they've been losing market share to things like pay-per-view for years before that.

I doubt they'll emerge from bankruptcy looking anything like they do now.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
vansau said:
Look at the bright side: liquidation sales if there's still a store near your location.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I guess I'll actually finally be visiting BlockBuster regularly for the next while to see if they have any stuff on sale.

MikailCaboose

Jun 16, 2009
God I can't even remember the last time I was at a Blockbuster. I've been using Netflix and Gamefly for that stuff. So much more convenient...

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Around where I live, there is still a glimmer of hope for the time being. I'll at least take advantage of my movie/game pass until it's time to hit up the liquidation.

No matter what, it is a crying shame. Blockbuster has had something that I personally think makes them stand out and that is a reasonable offering. Used games and movies are a great deal there, while gamestop is still charging what Amazon.com wants for a new copy. And used movies? Blockbuster is a living GOLDMINE for movies, including cheap blu-ray prices used.

Bah! If anyone should have gone into bankruptcy, it's the likes of Gamestop. What's the point when online prices consistently have them beat and you cannot rent games either? Or what of "Redbox?" Those things do not have hi-def movies, let alone good ones...

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
seriously, if my blockbuster goes away, I will literally have NO place left to rent games.

that will make me a really really sad person.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
C'mon massively slashed prices so I can walk out of the store with $500 worth of stuff for $20.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
Good riddance to bad rubbish.

They tried to dictate a morality upon the country by not renting out NC-17 DVDS or banning "The Last Temptation of Christ". Also they rarely had what I want in stock ("Sorry, we only have one copy of Red Dead Redemption and it's checked out.') so I could care less.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
What a shame... some of my fondest memories are going into Blockbuster to rent movies to watch on a portable DVD player on long car trips. After we got Netflix, we slowly stopped going to Blockbuster... I guess I'm one of the reasons this happened... I'm a monster...

Oh well, as someone stated above the sales are going to be awesome in the near future so I smell a massive movie shopping spree coming up.

ZeroAE

Jun 7, 2010
In Chile (my country) , Blockbuster is actually increasing their sales. We dont have steaming services , like Netflix =(

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
Games: I'd rather wait 2 days for Gamefly and keep the game til I decide I don't want the game or subscription anymore, than spend the $10 for 5 days at Blockbuster. Plus they almost never have the games I want.

Movies: I have 5 devices capable of Netflix streaming, I never have to get off my couch, and I get a months worth or rentals at hte price of a single one at BB.

I can't imagine why they went out of business.

oranger

May 27, 2008
Well...the 5$ nibs (2.28 anywhere else) didn't help any, I think.
Oh well, I don't really rent anymore anyways. Not since I kicked my generic FPS habit with system shock 2/Deus Ex's help.