Mark Wahlberg Confirmed For Lead Role in Uncharted Movie

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Mark Wahlberg Confirmed For Lead Role in Uncharted Movie

Nathan Fillion's Twitter campaign [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104268-Nathan-Fillion-Wants-to-Be-Nathan-Drake] to secure the role of Nathan Drake in the Uncharted movie has ended in defeat, as its director looks to another to be his leading man.

[mtv=600061]

Mark Wahlberg, who appeared in Max Payne [http://www.amazon.com/Max-Payne-Mark-Wahlberg/dp/B001MTYRKC/ref=sr_1_7?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1290623205&sr=1-7] and the remake of Planet of the Apes [http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Apes-Special-Mark-Wahlberg/dp/B000062XGX/ref=sr_1_5?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1290623248&sr=1-5], has confirmed that will play the in David O. Russell's Uncharted [http://www.amazon.com/Uncharted-Drakes-Fortune-Playstation-3/dp/B000UW21A0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1290623128&sr=1-1] movie. Wahlberg has worked with Russell a number of times in the past, on movies like Three Kings [http://www.amazon.com/Three-Kings-Blu-ray-George-Clooney/dp/B003SEWMF6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290623159&sr=8-1] and The Fighter.

Speaking to MTV, Wahlberg said that Russell was in the process of writing the script, and that the pair had approached Robert de Niro and Joe Pesci to appear as Wahlberg's father and uncle respectively. Wahlberg didn't reveal any details about the plot, other than the idea that Russell was working on was "insane" - presumably in a good way - and that it wouldn't be a watered down version of Uncharted.

Once you get over the disappointment of Nathan Fillion not getting the part, this news prompts some cautious optimism. An Oscar-nominated actor in the lead role and two Oscar winners in supporting roles could give this movie some real weight - provided they accept the parts, of course. Even if they don't, Wahlberg is a good actor and he seems excited about the movie, which must surely count in its favor, even if it's just a little.

Source: MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/11/24/mark-wahlberg-uncharted-movie-nathan-drake/]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Mark is a great actor. Not sure if he's fit for this role, though.

I think they should have used Nolan North himself.

He looks close enough to Drake, and would sound exactly the same.

Or just have Nathan Fillion, but dubbed over by Nolan North. As long as Nolan's voice is there, I'd have been happy.

Shale_Dirk

Mar 23, 2010
Mark Wahlberg: ruining movie adaptations of things people like since he was Marky Mark.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Mark is a great actor. Not sure if he's fit for this role, though.

I think they should have used Nolan North himself.

He looks close enough to Drake, and would sound exactly the same.

Or just have Nathan Fillion, but dubbed over by Nolan North. As long as Nolan's voice is there, I'd have been happy.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I love Mark Wahlberg, but he really doesn't look like he would fit the role. Oh well, the good news is that we're actually getting an Uncharted movie.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Well. Eh. Okay.

I can imagine that. It could work. Really well, in fact.

So, once I finally get over the fact that there's a fucking Uncharted movie (seriously, guys, chop up the cutscenes and the thing's a movie already), I'll probably go see it.

PUR3_GAM3R33

May 23, 2009
I honestly think they should have used James Roday(main guy from Psych)

but it doesn't matter since I'm still going too see it.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I don't see what an Uncharted Movie can possibly add to "film", I mean it's basically Indiana Jones and a film version of a fairly derivative story strikes me as highly pointless. However if we get a fun pulpy adventure film out of this whole deal I will probably watch it and love it regardless of necessity.

However... David O'Russell? Director of Three Kings, I (Heart) Huckabees? According to IMDB he's also writing the flick... so The Uncharted Movie should be an interesting experiment in attatching a Quirky as Hell director to what is basically a High Octane Popcorn Flick.

quiet_samurai

Apr 24, 2009
JourneyThroughHell said:
Well. Eh. Okay.

I can imagine that. It could work. Really well, in fact.

So, once I finally get over the fact that there's a fucking Uncharted movie (seriously, guys, chop up the cutscenes and the thing's a movie already), I'll probably go see it.
That's my sentiments exactly.... Marky Mark is a good actor, he's just in a lot of half assed or shitty movies. I also agree that an Uncharted movie is not necessary.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
Mark... Wahlberg...
Nathan Drake - charming, witty, funny, handsome. So they decided to pick Mark Wahlberg? The guy has about as much charm or humour as the plant pot that co-starred in The Happening.
Not only was an Uncharted movie a ridiculous idea, (what with Uncharted being so heavily inspired by films already), but this casting along with the creation of father and uncle characters is just so irritatingly terrible.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Shale_Dirk said:
mr_rubino said:
Shale_Dirk said:
Mark Wahlberg: ruining movie adaptations of things people like since he was Marky Mark.
He's been in other adaptations?
Planet of the Apes, Max Payne.

But mostly Max Payne.
Was Planet of the Apes a book first? I thought it was just the movies as allegory for something that I can't think of at the moment.

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
Truly-A-Lie said:
Mark... Wahlberg...
Nathan Drake - charming, witty, funny, handsome. So they decided to pick Mark Wahlberg? The guy has about as much charm or humour as the plant pot that co-starred in The Happening.
Not only was an Uncharted movie a ridiculous idea, (what with Uncharted being so heavily inspired by films already), but this casting along with the creation of father and uncle characters is just so irritatingly terrible.
Exactly what I was thinking. I have never played the Uncharted Games, but I figured that Drake was a funny one-liner type of guy. I don't see Mark Walhberg being very good at that (although the action scenes will be pretty cool).

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Who the hell is this Mark guy and why is he in the movie instead of Nolan North?

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Okay, Wahlberg can act (see: "Three Kings"), but he hasn't done that very well lately (see: "The Happening," "Max Payne").
Fillion needs a break more than Wahlberg does, and he's practically ready to be the next Harrison Ford if Hollywood would just give him the screen time.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
PedroSteckecilo said:
I don't see what an Uncharted Movie can possibly add to "film", I mean it's basically Indiana Jones and a film version of a fairly derivative story strikes me as highly pointless. However if we get a fun pulpy adventure film out of this whole deal I will probably watch it and love it regardless of necessity.
I tend to agree. I kind of enjoy the made-for-TV Librarian movies, which are basically low-budget Indiana Jones, but they're not pretending to be anything but B-flick pulp fun.

manythings said:
Was Planet of the Apes a book first? I thought it was just the movies as allegory for something that I can't think of at the moment.
It was a French novel by Boulle, same guy who wrote Bridge Over the River Kwai.