Ten Unannounced Fighters Waiting for Marvel vs. Capcom 3

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Ten Unannounced Fighters Waiting for Marvel vs. Capcom 3

The Marvel vs. Capcom 3 roster may be pretty big right now, but it'll be even bigger by the time the game comes out.

Marvel vs. Capcom 2 was known for its staggering roster containing a whopping 56 fighters - a roster so big that Capcom didn't even pretend to try and balance it. Marvel vs. Capcom 3 won't be quite as ridiculous, but the currently-announced lineup of 28 characters will be growing by a third between now and the game's release.

According to a Famitsu interview with MvC3 producer Ryota Niitsumi (partially translated by Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/11/30/niitsuma_on_mvc3/]), there are ten fighters that have yet to be announced waiting in the wings. Since the game has featured an even Marvel and Capcom split thus far, presumably this means that of the unknown fighters, five are Marvel and five are Capcom. This would bring the total to 38 - neatly in line with the "approximately 40" characters initially planned.

That said, now comes the fun part - guessing who the newcomers are. We know who they aren't: It's already been announced that Resident Evil's Tyrant and Nemesis will be no-shows, as will MvC2 originals like Amingo and Ruby Heart. In the same interview, Niitsuma confirmed that there would be no Monster Hunter folks, either. On the Marvel side of things, we know that the Fantastic Four, Ghost Rider, and Man-Thing will not be playable but may make appearances nonetheless.

I'm not going to pretend that I know the first thing about Marvel comics, so I can't really say who would or would not be a good fit from their end of things. I will say that, given Storm's popularity in MvC2, it would be odd to have her not make a return appearance, but Wolverine and Magneto might have the mutant quota filled already.

On the Capcom side of things, an obvious choice is Dead Rising star Frank West, who was last seen taking his turn in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. If not him, then an easy substitute would be Dead Rising 2's Chuck Greene - they'd have similar move sets, wouldn't they?

If Frank (or Chuck) makes one, then Final Fight's burly mayor Mike Haggar makes two. Not only is Final Fight one of the few Capcom franchises not represented in the game thus far, we've already seen evidence [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104869-Rumor-Final-Fights-Muscular-Mayor-in-Marvel-vs-Capcom-3] that Haggar will be in the game.

Another, slightly-less-likely possibility is ace attorney Phoenix Wright, who was cut from Tatsunoko vs. Capcom [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93934-Why-Phoenix-Wright-Was-Cut-From-Tatsunoko-vs-Capcom] when the developers couldn't figure out how to properly make his "Objection!" attack work in both Japanese and English. This is your time to correct this grievous mistake, Capcom!

We could also see Onimusha hero Samanosuke, one of the various Ryus from Breath of Fire, or even the classic Mega Man - Zero might be in the game representing the Mega Man X series, but we can't forget the original Blue Bomber, can we?

Whatever combination of characters ends up being added to the final roster (hoping for Haggar, Frank, Phoenix, Samanosuke and Mega Man myself), Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is one of my most highly-anticipated games of 2011. The full interview with Ryota Niitsuma is also a really interesting read [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/11/30/niitsuma_on_mvc3/]. (The hardest character to translate into a 2D fighting space? Okami's Amaterasu, of course).

It's out this coming February. Who do you want to see make the final cut?

(Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/11/30/niitsuma_on_mvc3/])

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
John Funk said:
Another, slightly-less-likely possibility is ace attorney Phoenix Wright, who was cut from Tatsunoko vs. Capcom [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93934-Why-Phoenix-Wright-Was-Cut-From-Tatsunoko-vs-Capcom] when the developers couldn't figure out how to properly make his "Objection!" attack work in both Japanese and English. This is your time to correct this grievous mistake, Capcom!
Haven't they already said a bunch of times that he won't be in this game? I think it would be cool, too, but I'm pretty sure that they've outright denied the possibility of him being a character.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
It might be a bit off-topic, but I really don't get the Marvel vs Capcom idea. I mean, what do they have to do with each other? It seems so...random.

I mean, why not Marvel vs DC? Which is like, everything I really want. I heard lots of people saying it won't be balanced, but really, would Iron Man vs Frank West ever be balanced as well?

Jamienra

Nov 7, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
It might be a bit off-topic, but I really don't get the Marvel vs Capcom idea. I mean, what do they have to do with each other? It seems so...random.

I mean, why not Marvel vs DC? Which is like, everything I really want. I heard lots of people saying it won't be balanced, but really, would Iron Man vs Frank West ever be balanced as well?
Play MvC2 and be amazed.
Personally i want Phoenix Wright, Gambit, Nightcrawler, Strider hiryu and Samonuske to make the cut :D

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
I would encourage the inclusion of Jacques Blanc from Onimusha 3. Why, you ask? You can not tell me that featuring Jean Reno in a fighting game would not be awesome beyond words.

On the Marvel side, I have but one request: Gambit. I can do without Storm (easily, actually), I can do without Cyclops, and I can do without the Juggernaut (*****), but please bring in the world's greatest Cajun. Please, Capcom. Unlike a lot of your other projects, you actually seem to give a damn about this one.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Jamienra said:
Cowabungaa said:

Play MvC2 and be amazed.
Personally i want Phoenix Wright, Gambit, Nightcrawler, Strider hiryu and Samonuske to make the cut :D
I should've put it differently. No doubt that they can make it balanced, but they say the fanboys would spout fire and brimstone for nerfing/buffing their much loved/much hated character for the sake of balance, that they wouldn't be balanced if they'd be 'honest' about character's powers. But it's not like they're honest in Capcom vs Marvel. A simple photographer (even though he has covered wars you know) versus a millionaire in the world's most hightech cyborg suit? Yeeeaaaaah...

Just wondering by the way; what kind of fighter is MvC? I've only really played Street Fighter 4, Super Smash Bros. and Soul Calibur 4.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Cowabungaa said:
If you want to know, there's a TVTropes article on how Marvel Vs. Capcom came to be. It's actually pretty interesting. [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MarvelVsCapcom]

As for the balancing, let's bear in mind that this is indeed Capcom we're talking about. It won't be balanced.

EDIT: Fix'd for poor grammar.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Let's go for something absolutely obscure but well known, Guan Yu or Zhang Fei from Destiny Of An Emperor an early Capcom NES RPG.

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
John Funk said:
About 40?

Hmm... you do know MvC2 had 58 people?
MvC1 had 12? characters not counting assists/secrets
once MvC3 beats MvC2 in numbers I'll be happy!

So come on! lets make the roster 100!

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
John Funk said:
We could also see Onimusha hero Samanosuke, one of the various Ryus from Fire Emblem, or even the classic Mega Man - Zero might be in the game representing the Mega Man X series, but we can't forget the original Blue Bomber, can we?

Whatever combination of characters ends up being added to the final roster (hoping for Haggar, Frank, Phoenix, Samanosuke and Mega Man myself), Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is one of my most highly-anticipated games of 2011. The full interview with Ryota Niitsuma is also a really interesting read [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/11/30/niitsuma_on_mvc3/]. (The hardest character to translate into a 2D fighting space? Okami's Amaterasu, of course).

It's out this coming February. Who do you want to see make the final cut?
Mr.Funk, i don't think Ryu is in Fire Emblem, and im pretty sure Fire Emblem is not a Capcom game.
:p

And as for me, i want Hayato, Batsu, Kajin no Soki(Onimusha:Dawn of Dreams), Huitzel and Jon Talbain(Darkstalkers), Megaman EXE. or Starforce Megaman, and a few more.
But if Mike Haggar and Frank West are defiantly in there...ill be happy.

Zero has already made my day
Frank West is Frank West, enough Said.

and Mike Haggar?
Best.
Dad.
EVER.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Gigaguy64 said:
Mr.Funk, i don't think Ryu is in Fire Emblem, and im pretty sure Fire Emblem is not a Capcom game.
That should read Breath of Fire series.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Jamienra said:
Cowabungaa said:

Play MvC2 and be amazed.
I should've put it differently. No doubt that they can make it balanced, but they say the fanboys would spout fire and brimstone for nerfing/buffing their much loved/much hated character for the sake of balance, that they wouldn't be balanced if they'd be 'honest' about character's powers. But it's not like they're honest in Capcom vs Marvel. A simple photographer (even though he has covered wars you know) versus a millionaire in the world's most hightech cyborg suit? Yeeeaaaaah...

Just wondering by the way; what kind of fighter is MvC? I've only really played Street Fighter 4, Super Smash Bros. and Soul Calibur 4.
Its literally its own genre now called VS Fighter.

Its a really Fast paced Game, that focuses on Flashy combos, Assists, Air combos, and powerful, REALLY flashy super attacks called Hyper Combos.

Its just supposed to be fun.

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
This is going to be a pretty unbalanced game with this amount of characters.
That doesn't seem too far from the norm for these kinds of games.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
tehroc said:
Gigaguy64 said:
That should read Breath of Fire series.
Ok, that makes more sense.

Iv never played a game from the Breath of Fire series but, iv heard its great.
Plus i do know that in the 4th or 5th game i think, the MC can turn into a Dragon.
Awesome.

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
WHOA WHOA WHOA Phoenix Wright in a fighting game....why would you not include that. I would have bought that game DAY ONE. T_T

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Personally? I don't care who makes it into the game anymore. They already have everyone I want. Amaterasu, Chris, and Wesker. Game, set, match.

Edit: Frank West would be awesome though to have...He's covered wars y'know.

I also thought including Dante was a fantastic choice.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Gigaguy64 said:
Its literally its own genre now called VS Fighter.

Its a really Fast paced Game, that focuses on Flashy combos, Assists, Air combos, and powerful, REALLY flashy super attacks called Hyper Combos.

Its just supposed to be fun.
Lots of combos? Neeeevermind then. I just cannot for the life of me remember all those button combinations. I'm better off with, say, Super Smash or Street Fighter (if I could be bothered to practice).

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Mr.Pandah said:
Personally? I don't care who makes it into the game anymore. They already have everyone I want. Amaterasu, Chris, and Wesker. Game, set, match.
99 seconds....99 seconds is all the time i can spare to play with you...

I cant wait to play as Wesker, he looks like a ton of fun.