Deus Ex: Human Revolution Preorder Packs Revealed

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Deus Ex: Human Revolution Preorder Packs Revealed

Eidos has unveiled two preorder packs for the upcoming Deus Ex: Human Revolution [http://www.amazon.com/Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-Pc/dp/B002I0HKRQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291141676&sr=8-1] that will give players more guns, more augmentations and more opportunities to make life miserable for the bad guys.

Some kind of preorder deal for the long-awaited Deus Ex: Human Revolution was inevitable and today Eidos Montreal [http://www.eidosmontreal.com/] took the wraps off not one but two preorder packs which unfortunately don't have catchy names and must therefore simply be described.

So it is that we have Preorder Pack One: the Linebacker G-87 Grenade Launcher, the M-28 Utility Remote-Detonated Explosive and an exclusive mission. And Preorder Pack Two: the Longsword Whisperhead Supressed Extreme Range Sniper Rifle, the Huntsman Silverback Double-Barrel Shotgun and extra credits for augmentations and upgrades.

In lieu of catchy names, Eidos opted to show off the preorder packs in action with two new gameplay videos posted on Twitter [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ABLnDpcseU&hd=1] the studio's community manager wrote, "Marketing wants me to say this: 'Please check with your preferred retailer to see which pack they are offering.'"

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is scheduled to hit in early 2011 for the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I'll never understand why gameplay trailers are done using consoles.

The first 5 seconds is of Jensen hitting thin air.

Anyway, can't wait for this! I'll pre-order it on Steam as soon as I can. Or, y'know, an hour before release once I've gotten a general impression from the reviews (I love how that's still considered pre-ordering).

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
Hmm, I have high hopes for this game, and that shotgun really has tempted me to pre-order :p

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I hate pre-order deals, they're part of the decrepit rot that is festering in the new mega-corporate gaming industry. With these bonuses no one will ever be able to play the full game, unless you pre-order it at two locations. My philosophy is all content for all players.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Woodsey said:

Anyway, can't wait for this! I'll pre-order it on Steam as soon as I can. Or, y'know, an hour before release once I've gotten a general impression from the reviews (I love how that's still considered pre-ordering).
I always figured they did it 1) because that's where they expect to sell the most copies or 2) because optimization for the top of the line PC specs may not be completely finished yet or 3) they're cheap and don't want to put money down on a good PC...<.<

OT: regardless of a preorder pack I was going to preorder it anyway just because I'm a Deus Ex fanboy... I think it's going to fail miserably though...<.<

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
Uuh..I dont know what to think about this. Deus Ex has always been pretty story driven game. Should I consider these extras as canon?

Lawyer105

Apr 15, 2009
Personally, I've always hated that companies issue pre-order packs.

It's one thing for an indie company to fund their development using pre-order money and to give out some sort of reward to people that buy your game 6 months or a year in advance. Equally, including extra stuff in some sort of special collector's edition, where you charge 50%+ more for the product is fine too.

But it's quite another thing for a massive developer who doesn't need the funding to give somebody that purchased your game 1 day before (and for the same price as) somebody else a stack of content that the other person doesn't get.

It's even worse when they start releasing MULTIPLE bundles, attached to different locations - so even if everything you want is within a single bundle (which it often isn't), unless you live in a big city, you're at risk of not being able to get the bundle you want because that retailer isn't in your area.

If they want to include these bundles for pre-orders, FINE. But they'd better be purchasable (and reasonably priced) Day-1 DLC as well!

Deus Ex has now slipped significantly down my purchasing schedule with this announcement.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Every game that I owned so far that locked me out of a random chunk of content as punishment for buying at the wrong place so far has been garbage. GJ Eidos, there's another purchase that you lost.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Sacman said:
Woodsey said:

I always figured they did it 1) because that's where they expect to sell the most copies or 2) because optimization for the top of the line PC specs may not be completely finished yet or 3) they're cheap and don't want to put money down on a good PC...<.<
The PCs they use to build the game will be needed to run it on maxed out settings, so why not use those?

I'd have thought they'd want to use the best looking version as well.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Woodsey said:
Sacman said:
Woodsey said:

The PCs they use to build the game will be needed to run it on maxed out settings, so why not use those?

Because not everyone has a mexed out PC, so by showing a maxed out PC trailer, the game would look sub-par to those who buy the console version, or those who didn't spend hundreds on a PC rig. Customer Appeal man.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Woodsey said:
Sacman said:
Woodsey said:

I dunno maybe there is some kind of important marketing strategy behind it...<.<

Mr.Amakir

Jun 2, 2010
AzrealMaximillion said:
Woodsey said:
Sacman said:
Woodsey said:

Because not everyone has a mexed out PC, so by showing a maxed out PC trailer, the game would look sub-par to those who buy the console version, or those who didn't spend hundreds on a PC rig. Customer Appeal man.
You can get a really cheap PC that can max out most games today you know? It is not that expensive to be a PC gamer anymore, you rarely have to update you're rig and the games are generally cheaper.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
Woodsey said:
Sacman said:
Woodsey said:

Still not buying it - it's the same product, you just want to show it in it's best form. Companies doctor screenshots all the time.

At least here they'd be showing what it actually looks like for quite a few people.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Wow, this game is looking better and better all the time. Looks like it could be GOTY 2011 material. I have good feeling about this ope.

Mr.Amakir

Jun 2, 2010
InterAirplay said:
Am I the only person in the entire world who thinks this looks like an enormous dissapointment? sure, good game in it's own right, but there is no way that the Deus Ex name should be attatched to this thing.

Hmm. that probably came accross as trolling. D'oh well.
I understand what you mean. But if the game turns out to be worthy of carnying the Deus Ex name we will at least be surprised.