Deus Ex: Human Revolution Preorder Packs Revealed

Spencer Petersen

Apr 3, 2010
God, why does every game have to have a pre-order bonus. All it does is encourage people who don't know any better to blow their money on new releases without any research or quality assurance. It actively discourages careful planning and responsible purchasing by selling games as movies built entirely on day one content and then abandonment of support. Ubisoft is especially guilty of this, and their choke-hold on single player content is a crime against consumers. I can only think of a few game that are superior when pirated, and 80% of them are from Ubisoft.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
InterAirplay said:
I think you raise some points worthy of consideration, but you also haven't played the game yet. We don't know at this point what sort of repercussions there are going to be for pulling off the kind of stuff we're being shown in the trailers, and we don't know as of yet what sort of justification will be given for Jensen's apparently extremely high power levels. The point of trailers and early gameplay videos is to make the game look as bad ass and zomgcool as possible, not to give a full breakdown on the entire game experience. I agree that what we've seen so far doesn't exactly scream Deus Ex, and perhaps it should at least whisper it, I'd say the sort of judgments you're making would be best left until the game is released.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
InterAirplay said:
And one more thing: If we're supposed to accept that this guy fits with canon, then I also expect to hear this in the original game: "man, all our augmented agents sure are a piece of shit compared to those guys we had fucking ages ago. What happened to them? did we suddenly just forget how to make our agents really badass?"
It would also take a bit of explaining as to why cyborg agents like Navara and Gunther didn't wire-fu the shit out of the Denton brothers.

Maybe there was an new tender for Cyborg OS and it was won by Apple who then blocked all the violent applications and rebranded them as iBorgs! That's my theory at the moment, anyway.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Andy Chalk said:
I find it amusing that so many people are up in arms about ensuring that everyone has the exact same experience in a game that is ostensibly designed around choice and the ability to approach different problems with different tactics.
I dunno about that... I really don't like to have to stretch my game tactics to include which retailer I preorder the game from.

Not that I often have to worry about it... even in the rare instances when a preorder bonus interests me enough to consider it, if the bonuses are retailer linked then it's close to inevitable that the one bonus pack I want is the one that's only available from a North American retail chain that doesn't ship outside of North America.

MindBullets

Apr 5, 2008
While this is a bit unsettling, seeing game content as the bonus rather than collectibles, making-of DVDs, etc, I don't think the rest of the game will be so bad without these bonus weapons.

3 of the bonus weapons are flashy, over-the-top ways to kill people, which is not really what Deus Ex is about. And there will probably be other bug guns or explosives anyway if you want to play like that. And the sniper rifle is called "extreme range", so it sounds like you'll get a sniper rifle anyway. Just this one can hit people really far away, I guess.

I'd need to know more about the bonus mission to determine if I'd mind missing out on that, though.

Defective_Detective

Jul 26, 2010
Wait, so, we're not going to have access to what are basically LAM's unless we pre-order...?

If that's true, I am very disappointed...

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
InterAirplay said:
snippity snip
You brought up many good points, concerning regenerative health, and the guns ablazing approach we see in the majority of videos.

I disagree that Invisible War had much when it came to options and consequences. Augmentation choices were no longer permanent, and the characters started with no need to level up. There were only heavy handed binary choices in the game, and near the end you find out that you really had none at all. (The Order and the WTO twist) Throughout the game, I tried everything in my power to anger the characters and ruin the story thread. I killed Chad Dumier's wife and bragged about the murder and he just handed me my next mission. The game should have been called Invisible Repercussions.

In concerns with the technology, I agree that the stuff showcased seems too far for 17 years and way more advanced for a prequel for Deus Ex. However, only time can tell what we will see by that time. Much of the technology showcased are already in prototypes, from jet powered VTOL aircraft, walker bots, advanced prostethsis, nanotechnology that pushes human performance. When the first Deus Ex was released in 2000, a lot of the technology then was more advanced than the ones seen in Deus Ex. In Deus Ex, the majority of people had 4:3 CRT televisions when flat screens and 16:9 and 16:10 television and monitors were becoming popular. Computer GUIS were monochrome. Every franchise faces this issue when making prequels. As prequels are made, the franchise is more popular and has a bigger budget to explore art and technology in a way that wasn't possible previously. Tastes and technology in reality also change.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
RhombusHatesYou said:
I dunno about that... I really don't like to have to stretch my game tactics to include which retailer I preorder the game from.
If you're worried about having to adjust your tactics, take it pure. Don't preorder, or don't install the bonus content.

I can understand the frustration with not having access to preorder bonuses at all (believe me, I'm in that same boat more often than you might think) but this assumption that the game is somehow broken or incomplete without the preorder bonuses is just completely off-base.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Update for Europeans: according to RPS [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/12/01/deus-ex-slightly-more-humane-revolution/], all game retailers worth their salt will be offering Pack 1 as a pre-order bonus for the base game, and Augmented Edition pre-orderers will get Pack 2 from same game-retailers-worth-their-salt. It would make more sense if the Augmented Edition got both packs, but oh well.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Andy Chalk said:
RhombusHatesYou said:
If you're worried about having to adjust your tactics, take it pure. Don't preorder, or don't install the bonus content.
I've pretty much stopped pre-ordering these days. Maybe if they included large coffee mugs I'd start again... Maybe... but then the really good mugs would probably only be available in North America because that's how my luck is.

'Sides, I don't mind having to change my in-game tactics. Somethings work for some games, other things for other games... but if where you purchase the game becomes part of the supposed in-game tactics then I think the industry might want to ask itself a few questions... or possibly pat themselves on the back for exploiting some of the sillier parts of human nature.

I can understand the frustration with not having access to preorder bonuses at all (believe me, I'm in that same boat more often than you might think) but this assumption that the game is somehow broken or incomplete without the preorder bonuses is just completely off-base.
It's not a frustration for me, just an annoyance. If a game can't stand on it's own then I don't think any amount of pre-order bonuses are going to help but sometimes there's a bonus you can't get that makes you go "well, shitfire... that would've been nice to have." However, when those bonuses stretch to include extra-missions/levels I think they stop being a reward for preordering and instead become a punishment for people who don't preorder. That's not to say broken or incomplete but it is a bit of a smack in the teeth.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
InterAirplay said:
snip snip
Ah, no problem on withholding the ad hominem attacks on a fanboy. I only did so because I shared nearly all your criticisms initially, but stepped back to look at the big picture. Now I only share some of the criticisms.